Teach: let's say I downloaded the publication of 54. Launched and I had people play. Suddenly the publication is 55. The question is how do I upgrade from 54 to 55 that would not hurt my players?

I'm not sure if this is the best method, but what I do is download the new one, paying attention to which files have been changed in the new publish. I also keep a listing of any scripts that I have edited. Then I use WinMerge and move any new scripts over, overwrite any scripts that have been changed but that I have never edited, and then lastly manually look at each script that has changed in the new publish and that I have edited and make the edits by hand.

I've always suspected there is a better way, but I don't know it!

Ravenwolfe, you can actually commit a local version of your own server via Git so that when you pull a new version it doesn't overwrite any of your custom changes, yet it pulls in all of the updates released. Using WinMerge (or Beyond Compare which is better imho) would to me, be the second best way to go about it.

Awesome info!

Where do you commit your local version? You have to set your own fork from the main ServUO?

Do you have to tell it which ones you have custom changed?

How does it handle the files that have changed in the update but that you have custom edits to? Does it flag them and you manually merge or what?

Mine simply works by right clicking the folder location where I pull to and there should be an option that pops up called "Git Extensions", if you highlight that there are quite a few options. If you select "Commit", it commits all of your custom changes to your local version. Then you can simply do the same again, and select "Pull" and it will retrieve the most recent version and won't overwrite your changes.

It should allow you to manually merge updates into files you have customized, yes. If you installed KDiff (I think its a standard part of the Git install, though I can't remember - it's been a while since I installed) then you can actually use that to merge, sort of like WinMerge/Beyond Compare.

Insanity, or maybe Voxpire, might have a better way or idea..but this has worked for me thusfar.

Is there a Git tutorial, i really want to learn how to use Git for just this kind of thing. Example being, how do you "pull" your shard to a file that can be "patched" by say Pub55 ? So much to learn, just need a solid starting point to learn it, thanks for any help

I'm sure there will be once we have the Wiki up :) Have you read the post by m309 just posted above, might help out some?

Back