About two weeks ago, my godawful Toshiba Satelitte decided die. It was ingracious death, involving a broken screen, failure of its VDU ports, USB and eventually the HD (Which now makes lovely clicky, whirring, skippy noises accompanied by the occasional beep.)

And thus did the legend of my Dell, Dual Core arise once again.

With barely a gig of RAM and (Now) 700mb of remaining HD space - most of which is dedicated to the corpulant mass that is Vista Business Pro - I am now having to run my many adminstrative tasks using this - thing. And it's a struggle. So much so, that it may indeed go down in the annals of time as the Greatest Struggle An Ultima Online Freeshard Dev has ever encountered (Or possibly not. :p)

Anyway, aside from having to deal with constant client crashes (Usually occurring when switching from UO to any other program) I now find myself in the position where the lovely Pandora's Box is now shunning my loving attention. And consequently, I have had to resort to using [add static to create some of my lovely builds. But, between the many, many crashes, my love for this time-worn technique has dimmed somewhat and now I feel I should turn to ServUO for a solution. If anyone can perhaps provide some guidance, I would be terribly grateful - Pandora and I were never meant to be apart for this long!

This is the last letter I received from Pandora's Box before it closed, no doubt heartbroken from not receiving the touch of Mogster for so long:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
at LightCore.ContainerBuilder..ctor()
at TheBox.LightCoreBuilder.BuildContainer()
at TheBox.Pandora.Main(String[] args)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Last edited:
Pandora and Vista have had a love-hate relationship since Vista came on the scene. Pandora believes that her software is too high-brow to mix with Vistas miss-matched software and she refuses to play with him. I have found that if you can convince Vista to pretend that he is XP then Pandora will be more attracted to him and she will play nicely with him for hours and hours on end.

**there are a few options you can try. 1. Force Vista to emulate XP (I am not sure how to do this with Vista, I only know how to do it with Win7). 2. Run PB as administrator, I run Win7 and this is what I have to do for PB to work properly.**

MorGanna

I've tried all the compatibility modes. Sadly, the all produce the same error (Which is sent my Clipboard courtesy of Pandora's Box.) Also, emulating XP might be a little dicey, given I've only got one working computer now, I'd hate to screw that one up too.

Sadly, it presented the same error as before:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
at LightCore.ContainerBuilder..ctor()
at TheBox.LightCoreBuilder.BuildContainer()
at TheBox.Pandora.Main(String[] args)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

I've tried a complete re-install, also, nothing seems to have any impact, unfortunately.

I had a scan through RunUO for the same thing, this appears to be their solution:

VistaErrorRunUO.JPG
And unfortunately, I don't have a disk to re-install it from. :/

Last edited:
You'll have to forgive my ignorance in this matter, my technical expertise isn't terribly advanced. However, it seems to me that according to that page it is System.Core that's missing. I've attached the logs in XML,CSV,PML forms as RAR (Mainly because it's not possible to upload those file types here.)

Attachments

• PandoraSystemCore.rar
    140 KB · Views: 4
Ok, the problem is related to missing System.Core.dll (3.5.0.0) as you already know...
Sadly there aren't others useful infos in that logs...

Before other actions, you can try to check if that dll is in GAC.

NOTE: pay attention to these steps and NEVER add, move or delete dll from this directory directly.

1. Press Start -> Run -> in the window paste this "C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\"
2. Open this subfolder "3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089"
3. There should be a file called "System.Core.dll"

If one of these step doesn't work (missing directory, subdirectory or file) you haven't installed the 3.5 .NET framework, or your installation is corrupted.

I know that you have already checked these steps with other tools, but this is a more "bare-metal" approach (and a little unorthodox).

After the post of your results, maybe we can proceed with other tentatives:)

I hit a brick wall pretty fast with that, but thanks Nibbio - you've been a great help. :) I decided to go ahead re-install NetFramework 3.5.0.0, as opposed to the latest update and it seemed to do the trick, Pandora is working now. Thank you all very much for your assistance. :)

Me too! :p I was getting sick and tired of using [m add static,2140 etc and cross-referencing between UOFiddler for ItemIDs. Bloody computer had the immensely enjoyable habit of frequently crashing when swapping between the two. lol

Yea, that "might" be Vista, I only ever had that installed once, ugh, never again
It was like Windows Millennium edition all over again heh

Back