Hello,

My name is Fabio and I hope you are going to see me for a while.
I used to be a BIG Ultima Online player. It is a game that just can't go away from my heart and that's also the reason why I'm posting here now.

I have never run an ultima online server, however i've a strong programming skill mainly with C#. I used to make also some games with Unity and doing some freelance works. However it is basically impossible making games without having a good artist: animations and models are a big issue.

So, since i would like to MAKE, i thought about Ultima Online and about the possibility of making a server. Somehow i think it would be easier for me bringing my ideas to life by using Ultima Online as a "graphics dispenser".

For this reason i want to ask you if there is some guide that can help me in starting as fast as possible in order to start implementing my idea. I need something really basic that can help me understand the environment withouth loosing much time.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited:
I feel you.
I stopped making all the games i worked in the past due to the lack of arts/animations.

It won't take you much time to understand the class hierarchy, it's well designed.
You have two main branches, being Item and Mobile, frpom which extands some base classes like BaseCreature, BaseWeapon, BaseArmor, BaseClothing, BaseAddon, BaseAI, BaseTool, etc.
All you really need to find is the interactions between the classes, which take a little time if you know UO alot :p

You may want to check this out www.shardsonline.com The makers of UO are doing it, and it feels so much like it, just nice and spruced up. All you need is a knowledge of LUA

Looks promising. I might give it a check. But do they will allow to make a website around the shard and even a donation system? I mean a developer can earn in some way with community driven shard?

Thank you

I feel you.
I stopped making all the games i worked in the past due to the lack of arts/animations.

It won't take you much time to understand the class hierarchy, it's well designed.
You have two main branches, being Item and Mobile, frpom which extands some base classes like BaseCreature, BaseWeapon, BaseArmor, BaseClothing, BaseAddon, BaseAI, BaseTool, etc.
All you really need to find is the interactions between the classes, which take a little time if you know UO alot :p

That's encouraging indeed ;)

Good question on the donation aspect. If you create your own content unique to you, I don't see why not.

-----
EDIT

Just confirmed. Your own website and donation is more than allowed!

Last edited:
Not to be a killjoy as tinkering with shards, staffing, hosting and playing them has been a huge part of my life for many, many years. In fact its surely my favourite hobby. However when I see that servou struggles to make its humble $30 a month donation target. That about sums it up. Many years ago some places made pocket money by sending out cds, charging for second accounts or special items. However as a rule this is a small community and people accept that its all "borrowed" resources and should be free.
However that should not stop you if the passion is there, running a server can be its own set of rewards in contacts and friends. I would not change my time around UO, simply if my goal was any kind of financial reward there are probably better platforms to look at.

Not to be a killjoy as tinkering with shards, staffing, hosting and playing them has been a huge part of my life for many, many years. In fact its surely my favourite hobby. However when I see that servou struggles to make its humble $30 a month donation target. That about sums it up. Many years ago some places made pocket money by sending out cds, charging for second accounts or special items. However as a rule this is a small community and people accept that its all "borrowed" resources and should be free.
However that should not stop you if the passion is there, running a server can be its own set of rewards in contacts and friends. I would not change my time around UO, simply if my goal was any kind of financial reward there are probably better platforms to look at.
Good point indeed.

What i would like to do is starting making my idea around UO. And if everything works moving on to the creation of the game entirely from scratch. With a solid community around that idea would be more than simple.

However, i'm still choosing which emulator i have to choose. Lets start from the idea that i would like to customize everything :

- What happens when you die
- Skills
- AI
- The world itself (only felucca)
- the bare combat system and its synergies with stats

would ServUO be a good choice?
I could say that i DONT need all the expansions things...maybe only the graphics.

Back