Resource icon

Ultima Odyssey 2019-03-12

No permission to download

danburo13

Jul 10, 2014
Shard Name
UO Realms
UOSunrise did take a copy of this and is running it under their own label:

I just don't know what version they are running. Also, they say they have "unlimited skills" which makes me wonder how they accommodated for the "Titan of Ether" quest line that works only if you have 1,000 skill points in the beginning. Did they just remove the quest? Did they re purpose it? Or is it just there and means nothing much if you complete it?
I tried to play that shard, but every bit of loot was way overpowered, in 1 day I had a ton of very powerful gear, wasnt really as fun as playing your stock version, tbh

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Not to add to your ever growing pile of features.. buuuuuut..
It is a good thing I released everything to the public so they can download my version and change it to their play styles. Sounds like you have a lot of work to do.

I tried to play that shard (UO Sunrise), but every bit of loot was way overpowered, in 1 day I had a ton of very powerful gear, wasnt really as fun as playing your stock version, tbh
Ultima shards are treated the same way as old school Dungeons & Dragons players treated that game. There was a base set of rules but they tweaked it in a way that felt that problems they saw were solved. Ultima emulation allowed for this where someone would say:

“I love Ultima Online, but it would be way cool if characters could have 900 skill points.”

So they add that feature and they assumedly enjoy the game more. So when I changed UO so much to what is now Ultima Odyssey, I made sure to be up front that this is a multiplayer adventure game and not an MMORPG. That it is not like UO much at all anymore. This project is my representation of what I thought UO lacked. So upon initial release of the game, I made a point to mention that if you change something…you will break something. I think UO Sunrise is proving that bit, especially with their unlimited skills. They break many parts of the game by doing that.

The one element that I made sure became a reality, is the fact that every skill had a use again. I had this design in well before shards like Outlands were released. The very basic reason I wanted skills useful again was that I couldn’t remove them from the skill list in game so they were always in your face. So since I couldn’t get rid of them, I made these do something that I hope is worthwhile. Camping is one of them…and I fricken love camping. I am currently working on a spell research path for scribes that allow mages and necromancers access to 64 additional spells. It is coming along well.

The term “useless skill” has been thrown around for years, and people often don’t understand the origins of the skills. Some were there for roleplaying purposes only. If you wanted to roleplay a beggar, there was a skill you could use and then have a title to go along with it. What the developers didn’t realize is that when you limit skills points, people will take the most optimal adventuring skills they can…and rightfully so. They should have made a “secondary” skill system with skills that provide these little roleplaying elements. So I boast that I made all skills useful, but then UO Sunrise removed the Item Identification impact (or greatly reduced it) to where it becomes a useless skill. Again, nothing wrong with their personal preference, but now you have a system with useless skills again.

Part of these changes I think stem from social pressure, and you see it with many free shards. A shard owner has a vision for their game world and put it out there. Then players come to it and begin to complain about stuff. The shard owner doesn’t want to lose players so they end up morphing their creation into something they didn’t really want to play anymore. I had someone ask me once about allowing “mark” for runes in dungeons because it just goes against their play style. I have zero sympathy for that simply because there was a point to the “no marking in dungeons” so wizards weren’t just teleporting to level 3 of dungeons and quickly searching for Exodus…while every other character class has to adventure long and hard to seek him out (that is just 1 example of the reasons behind it).

I am so glad I have my own copy of this game, because when I see the changes that were made bu others I am glad I have my intact version on my laptop. It is just a win-win scenario because everyone should get what they want if they have the drive to change things to their liking. If they lack the knowledge to change anything...then you get what you get and you don't throw a fit. You may have noticed that I added some things since the initial release. Nobody should confuse what I am adding to “development”…because "development" has been done since the release. At that time, every dungeon was filled and the world was complete with quests and all. There was nothing lacking. There may have been discovered errors, but those get fixed when brought out and fixes are generally shown to others so they can implement them on their current versions. So the stuff I “add” is just stuff “I” want for my version of the game (Just like some people want unlimited skills). Adding the Monks and Jesters is stuff “I” wanted…and anybody that has an older version shouldn’t feel they need Monks or Jesters because their version functions just fine. If they don't give a shit about monks or jesters...then why update?

Now we did have that one guy that wrote really crappy sentences (non-English speaking I think it came down to) that went on a rage fest and made a point to say that the developer made this game for his friends and his friends must suck at the game because he found it too easy. This is an example (going on your original post) about the subjective view on whether a shard is too hard or too easy. I find Ultima Odyssey just right…but that is because I made it for me. I wanted a mud-style single-player sandbox fantasy adventure game…and I got that. My friends and I just hit the middle-age mark so we like to play for an hour or two with morning coffee while the grass dries and we can go cut it. When you give Ultima Odyssey to power gamers, they will find it too easy…and just don’t care about that. In my game, you can find really powerful items (I think) but I need them if I am going to slay the Dragon King or the Titans of Ether by myself.

I am not sure what UO Sunrise might have done with loot that you think it is too powerful…and too easy to find. When I play Ultima Odyssey, I have a character class I am playing with slight variations. So I may find a lot of magical items as a wizard character, but a lot of it is useless for my character class so I leave it behind. I am looking for magic clothes and spells…not plate armor or heavy weapons. I also play my characters separate…meaning they don’t interact with each other. That is why the 5 house rule is in place, so each of my characters can have their own. So if my wizard finds a cool set of plate armor, I don’t take it with me to give to my fighter character. As far as I am concerned, the fighter needs to find their own treasure.

I also read that UO Sunrise removed the trap that could cause an item to vanish…which I sound like a broken record here…but that is their stylistic choice for their version of the game. I myself love those traps because they make me shit my pants when I hit some of them. Try playing an alchemist and then trip over a wire and all of your bottles break! That sucks…and it is meant to suck. Dungeons are to be scary to traverse and the scariest thing for players is losing stuff. Death and stat lost are nothing compared to losing a Super Cool Helm of Awesomeness. Have you ever died and forgot to put gold in the bank to pay the resurrection tribute? I have…and that sucks too…but that increases the fear of death for me when I am playing. Again, if the traps piss you off and you slowly remove them…then Remove Trap becomes an addition to the useless skill list. I have a fighter with 100 in that skill and love it. My other characters don’t so I carry 10 foot poles or cast remove trap on myself. Sometimes I do both pole and spell because traps will check both.

So when I get the spell research done I will update the main download. I have everything done but I now have to make the 64 spells work properly. Just to give a rundown of spell research (scribes will tell you these things if you talk to them):

- You get a research bag from a scribe.

- You have to find the 26 cubes of power throughout Sosaria. These have the runic power symbols on each one and are needed before research can begin.

- You can then begin researching magery and/or necromancer spells, which basically allows you to guarantee a spell that you may not find adventuring. So if you can’t find a summon daemon spell, you can eventually make your own with spell research.

- You can also begin the ancient spell research for 64 new spells. Almost all of these are from older Ultima games and there is a slight bit of spell overlap. This means some of these 64 spells already kinda exist in magery or necromancy…but the thing is…these 64 spells can be used by either mages or necromancers. The highest skill is used to cast the spell, while magery+necromancy is calculated for effectiveness. This is meant to facilitate the archmage class that is proficient in both areas of magic.

- Everything is stored in the bag…except reagents. You place quills and blank scrolls in the bag. The bag contains all of your research materials and notes.

- There is no spellbook for ancient spells. They need to be scribed to scrolls to be used. Lower reagent cost attributes do not affect the reagents needed to scribe it, but it may keep the scroll from being consumed when cast.

- The bag provides you the means to cast ancient spells from either the bag interface, a typed command, or the 4 provided spell bar options like magery has.

- Some spells just flip a current spell around. I find it annoying that magery has a lot of fire-based spells so I wanted spells like Frost Field or Frost Strike to allow a spell caster to do cold damage if they want to.

- Ancient spells work with your choice of spell effect color you may have set.

It will have other things in it like map tweaks (mainly color choices in some areas that are inconsequential but look nicer to me), and I made more things rideable so I can ride gorgons, griffons, hippogriffs, raptors, lions, and wyverns (as a few examples). I got rid of ridgebacks as they look ugly and replaced them with a dinosaur of similar size…and I changed the swamp dragon to the newer graphics you can find online. The beetles (of old UO) have their graphics changed to match the tiger beetle you may have seen and they look much better. So there is an option with animal tamers when you click on them for “Riding”. They will show you a gump that has pictures of creatures on it. The gump simply states that if you find monsters that look like these creatures…you can ride them so players know (again...you don't need a wiki as that ruins exploration in my opinion). There was some client limitations in what I could do with mounts, but I think I maneuvered them into something acceptable. If you have these types of creatures tamed already, however, you cannot ride those (unless they were able to already). Only new ones after you would update would be ridable.

I made the citizens in the town and taverns interact with me now if I talk to them. They will either tell me a rumor or offer to sell me a magic item. Wizards may offer to recharge my wands for me or sell me a scroll or reagents for cheap. Fighters may offer to fix my metal armor for me. Thieves may offer to unlock a box for me. It is just random where they mainly tell me a rumor that could help me find the Candle of Love (for example). I added new holiday trees…why…I have no clue why I did that.

Last edited:

ubentobox

Aug 6, 2015
I was going to say RE: Danburo13 - You must not have chosen the same starting locations as me XD. Just south of Moon I've run into dragons, spiders, giants, etc. You die pretty quick. I ran around some lightly populated tree areas and found some remains/corpse/fallen etc of some deco npc containers (forensics applied is "killed by animal"). I accidentally broke a mythril want while not paying attention to what I clicked from hired vendor and while having a full pack (it destroyed because had no place to drop). Woops!. Tried to revert to last save, and that's when I discovered that those bodies appear to spawn at random LOL.

Also on another note: Djeryv - You're after my heart LOL. The large wood/brick mansion (last page of construction) is very similar to my own design style. Only a few pics at present but I'd not maintained, will try and get my other stuff added. I used to have 30+ but UOAR corrupted that save and I lost a bunch when the server was retired at the time. Started to get back into it now that I have all the tools working: https://uor.nullsec.io/dow_designs_inc/index.html

This one is not in the gallery: Alternate Bakery

danburo13

Jul 10, 2014
Shard Name
UO Realms
Post automatically merged:

Found that axe in the 1st hour in a lvl 1 dungeon, it 1 hit kills everything I have come across so far. The average low level dungeon chest gives you a ton of items similar to this everytime. in addition to a 1000+ gold.

ubentobox

Aug 6, 2015
Yeah.. that won't save you near where I've built my house XD. In fact you'd die very very quickly. I'm a good several days of gameplay in but not ready to take on dragons, though I am rolling with a ranger with natural skill gains and no min-max templating.

*edit: Wait.. how did you get chat enabled?? I cannot even enable it at all :\*

danburo13

Jul 10, 2014
Shard Name
UO Realms
Yeah.. that won't save you near where I've built my house XD. In fact you'd die very very quickly. I'm a good several days of gameplay in but not ready to take on dragons, though I am rolling with a ranger with natural skill gains and no min-max templating.
and the house thing....you collect 250 logs and a guy at the bank gives you a house deed....Just my opinion, not bashing them, just think the original is better.

*edit: Wait.. how did you get chat enabled?? I cannot even enable it at all :\*
and just to be clear, I am talking about the server UOSunrise , Not Djeryvs original work.

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Found that axe in the 1st hour in a lvl 1 dungeon, it 1 hit kills everything I have come across so far. The average low level dungeon chest gives you a ton of items similar to this everytime. in addition to a 1000+ gold.
I guess if that find that fun, they should have at it. Some shards usually want to let players start out in a way that avoids character progression...meaning "here is a skill ball and a bunch of nice gear". I find it rewarding to start with nothing and move along toward more difficult dungeons as I find better magic items and my character gets better. But seeing what you showed here, I can now understand why people think some of the high level monsters on UO Sunrise are too easy.

A game developer really has to be careful with game balance or else the game experience can quickly feel hollow. I fell into this trap many years ago on a different shard I made. Again...if they like that style of gameplay then I don't want to tell them they are doing it wrong. It just isn't my style of gaming. That screenshot, however, looks sad to me because they are decorating the world like it was that An Corp shard with weird colorful stones just lying around everywhere. I can imaging the bankers now:

"Hey joe, where should we put these magical colored grave stones?"

"Just set them in the middle of the room so those adventurers can see them when they come in."

"What about these pure white barrels?"

"Ahh...put those next to the regular looking barrels."

danburo13

Jul 10, 2014
Shard Name
UO Realms
I guess if that find that fun, they should have at it. Some shards usually want to let players start out in a way that avoids character progression...meaning "here is a skill ball and a bunch of nice gear". I find it rewarding to start with nothing and move along toward more difficult dungeons as I find better magic items and my character gets better. But seeing what you showed here, I can now understand why people think some of the high level monsters on UO Sunrise are too easy.

A game developer really has to be careful with game balance or else the game experience can quickly feel hollow. I fell into this trap many years ago on a different shard I made. Again...if they like that style of gameplay then I don't want to tell them they are doing it wrong. It just isn't my style of gaming. That screenshot, however, looks sad to me because they are decorating the world like it was that An Corp shard with weird colorful stones just lying around everywhere. I can imaging the bankers now:

"Just set them in the middle of the room so those adventurers can see them when they come in."

Exactly, I think what you have made is different than anything anyone else has done. Why would someone want to modify it to the extent it becomes just like every other shard out there. The GMs name is MR.T the legendary pimp.....wtf???

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Well...keep in mind that although some people like what I made as it is, others play it and don't like elements of it. Even my friends that play this single-player complain about unidentified items. One of them reduced the chance to 25%, which I did make an easy editable option for. Where I am the type of person that would say, "why doesn't your character work on their Item ID skill?"

ubentobox

Aug 6, 2015
Well...keep in mind that although some people like what I made as it is, others play it and don't like elements of it. Even my friends that play this single-player complain about unidentified items. One of them reduced the chance to 25%, which I did make an easy editable option for. Where I am the type of person that would say, "why doesn't your character work on their Item ID skill?"
XD RIGHT? "Why are you complaining? I made a broken skill usefull.." "BUT MAH FREE INFORMATION!"

+ Danburo13

In addition to the above, when you're running solo or basically may as well be single player, having a prevalence of magic items allow for someone to whose lost or damaged all their current gear to find SOME way of getting back into it without admining yourself some gear/gold, which then has an almost immediate cooling effect on caring about the progression.

I love that you can do the 250 logs thing (haven't even found that myself LOL), for a long time I've loved the idea of providing resources for a free house. A tradesman should be able to harvest enough to give in trade for building. I'm glad this is in here :)

Draugr

May 14, 2014
Shard Name
None
Hi.

Can someone tell me where I can go in the server files or if there is an easier way via external program, etc. to remove certain creatures from the spawns? I want to remove elephants, lions, tigers, etc... from my world as they just don't feel right in an Ultima game.

Thanks,
John

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
This is quite easy. Just open the *.MAP files in "C:\UO\Data\Monsters" and remove the animals you don't like. Get a copy of Notepad++ and open all of them at once. Then you can replace "Elephant:" with "" for example (in all open files). Once you remove the animals from these spawn lists...do a [Buildworld command and it will respawn without them.
Can someone tell me where I can go in the server files or if there is an easier way via external program, etc. to remove certain creatures from the spawns? I want to remove elephants, lions, tigers, etc... from my world as they just don't feel right in an Ultima game.
I love that you can do the 250 logs thing (haven't even found that myself LOL), for a long time I've loved the idea of providing resources for a free house. A tradesman should be able to harvest enough to give in trade for building.
I thought about this years ago, but I would rather have the gold sink. If one were to do this, it would be best to figure out the economics of it to determine how much logs/boards cost if you sold them to a vendor...and then figure out what a small house costs. So if a small house was 30,000 gold (made up example) and a log sells for 2 gold each, then you would need 15,000 logs to build a home. If you only do 250, then someone can get rich super quick because they can turn 500 gold world of logs into 30,000 gold.

Draugr

May 14, 2014
Shard Name
None
This is quite easy. Just open the *.MAP files in "C:\UO\Data\Monsters" and remove the animals you don't like. Get a copy of Notepad++ and open all of them at once. Then you can replace "Elephant:" with "" for example (in all open files). Once you remove the animals from these spawn lists...do a [Buildworld command and it will respawn without them.

I thought about this years ago, but I would rather have the gold sink. If one were to do this, it would be best to figure out the economics of it to determine how much logs/boards cost if you sold them to a vendor...and then figure out what a small house costs. So if a small house was 30,000 gold (made up example) and a log sells for 2 gold each, then you would need 15,000 logs to build a home. If you only do 250, then someone can get rich super quick because they can turn 500 gold world of logs into 30,000 gold.
Thanks Djeryv! :)

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
I have about 28 spells to go (out of 64) before my spell research system is done. It is coming along well. I think the interface is intuitive enough and it really can make an archmage have a wide array of spells...where some have immense power if one works both magery and necromancy together. If someone focuses on only magery or only necromancy...then they can make use the 64 spells with average affects.

Here you can learn how to create spells without actually finding an actual scroll. This isn't the core of the spell research system...but something I added just to give it a bit more flavor. If you can't seem to find a Mark scroll to save your life...then you can research it instead.

There are 8 schools of magic and they are kinda/somewhat based on Ultima games like Pagan and Ultima VII. I am creating my own to fill the gaps because I wanted a total of 64...and I have to repurpose some to try and keep them from being a game breaking affair.

I have many help windows and each spells has its own window showing the information about it. Here you can scribe one scroll of it or you can scribe the most scrolls possible with the resources you have in your pack. Some spells are a bit powerful in what they do...so I tried to balance them by requiring a rare reagent like unicorn horns or pegasus feathers.

Reactions: Gadget2013 and PyrO

dmurphy

Admin
ServUO Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Thread cleaned up of off topic chat.

Please try stay on topic going forward. Thank you so much for this amazing contribution to the community @Djeryv

Gadget2013

Jun 13, 2014
Wow, I can say I'm impressed and excited for the upcoming updates to the Magic system! The spell research system looks very interesting, can't wait to try it out, especially since I started a Mage character recently on Odyssey and having an extra system to work with sounds like an interesting proposition! Keep up the great work, Djeryv! Still playing Ultima Odyssey since I started it back in April or so, and I always keep coming back to it even if I stop for a while :)

Julzjuice

Nov 23, 2018
Hi Djeryv!

I’m very new to the world of UO and I was always held back from playing because of the multiplayer aspect of the game. I always dreamed of trying the game and play it as a single player game and as I was searching for ways to do that when I found this...

Needless to say that after reading the description I immediately downloaded your shard and installed it. I was able to play for 5-10 mins before I had to go to work but boy this is old school hahaha! I am going to so enjoy this... oh my god. The retro graphics, the depth of the game and the sandbox aspect... I can’t way to learn how to play the game!

I had a couple of questions for you, good sir:

1- is there a way to play this game with a higher frame rate and is there a way to maybe resize the game window to make it bigger? I heard people talking about things like Razor or SteamUO or Classic UO. I did some research and people seem to say that Classic UO is the way to go. Will this work with your version of the game?

2- like I said, I am starting to play UO as someone who’s only heard of the game and never played it or seen someone play it. Is reading the UO official wiki still useful even if I am playing your modified version of UO? Also, a friend wants to know what version of UO did you use to create your world?

Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you for making this. I know this will be a tough nut to crack and that I will have to read a lot on how things function in this game but I’m very much looking forward to it.

Oh and one last thing, is there a place where I can read on the bestiary of your game and the artifacts that I can find?

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
1- is there a way to play this game with a higher frame rate and is there a way to maybe resize the game window to make it bigger? I heard people talking about things like Razor or SteamUO or Classic UO. I did some research and people seem to say that Classic UO is the way to go. Will this work with your version of the game?
I use "Razor Enhanced" as my primary client with the FPS checked for smoother looking gameplay, but I also have ClassicUO I use from time to time. This may sound petty, but ClassicUO still hasn't fixed the issue where fire elementals (or glowing creatures in general) do not glow and I like the ambient light they give off when I am in fire type dungeons. With that said, ClassicUO works very well and it has a feature where you drag the window larger instead of having to set a screen size pixel ratio. You also have a zoom in/out option which you can zoom in really close or zoom out really far where it looks like a real time strategy game. Keep in mind that you can only see about 18 tiles or so away and that is a game limitation. So even though you can see the map from a wide range...monsters and items will not appear until you hit that 18 tile mark. ClassicUO reached beta the other day, so expect some quirks but I think they are livable quirks.
2- like I said, I am starting to play UO as someone who’s only heard of the game and never played it or seen someone play it. Is reading the UO official wiki still useful even if I am playing your modified version of UO?
This is a tough one. I changed so much stuff that it isn't even UO anymore. UO websites could give you a feel on how to play the game and how some mechanics function...but alot of stuff has changed in my version and alot of stuff is added that isn't in any other UO game. If you never played before, I would suggest to only read such sites casually as not to confuse yourself.
Also, a friend wants to know what version of UO did you use to create your world?
I used the 2D client from the high seas expansion from about 2012. The client included has to be used to function since I modified it quite a bit...but using ClassicUO on top of my client makes it feel like a newer/modern game.
Oh and one last thing, is there a place where I can read on the bestiary of your game and the artifacts that I can find?
No. Everything is in the game in some form or another. You can learn things from books you find in dungeons, scrolls you stumble upon, or talking to NPCs. The HELP button section has been revamped to provide alot of information as well. I understand that people like wikis, but I built a game that rewards self discovery as you learn these things from adventuring. Much of the game is randomized...which means random items, monsters, quests, etc...so having a wiki for some of these elements are impossible to go into detail anyway. In a multiplayer environment, players often find it fun to be the first to discover how to hatch a dragon or how to get to a strange new land...and having no wiki-type-information system helps facilitate that.

Julzjuice

Nov 23, 2018
I use "Razor Enhanced" as my primary client with the FPS checked for smoother looking gameplay, but I also have ClassicUO I use from time to time. This may sound petty, but ClassicUO still hasn't fixed the issue where fire elementals (or glowing creatures in general) do not glow and I like the ambient light they give off when I am in fire type dungeons. With that said, ClassicUO works very well and it has a feature where you drag the window larger instead of having to set a screen size pixel ratio. You also have a zoom in/out option which you can zoom in really close or zoom out really far where it looks like a real time strategy game. Keep in mind that you can only see about 18 tiles or so away and that is a game limitation. So even though you can see the map from a wide range...monsters and items will not appear until you hit that 18 tile mark. ClassicUO reached beta the other day, so expect some quirks but I think they are livable quirks.

This is a tough one. I changed so much stuff that it isn't even UO anymore. UO websites could give you a feel on how to play the game and how some mechanics function...but alot of stuff has changed in my version and alot of stuff is added that isn't in any other UO game. If you never played before, I would suggest to only read such sites casually as not to confuse yourself.

I used the 2D client from the high seas expansion from about 2012. The client included has to be used to function since I modified it quite a bit...but using ClassicUO on top of my client makes it feel like a newer/modern game.

No. Everything is in the game in some form or another. You can learn things from books you find in dungeons, scrolls you stumble upon, or talking to NPCs. The HELP button section has been revamped to provide alot of information as well. I understand that people like wikis, but I built a game that rewards self discovery as you learn these things from adventuring. Much of the game is randomized...which means random items, monsters, quests, etc...so having a wiki for some of these elements are impossible to go into detail anyway. In a multiplayer environment, players often find it fun to be the first to discover how to hatch a dragon or how to get to a strange new land...and having no wiki-type-information system helps facilitate that.
Thank you so much for your answers! I will try to play the game with the Razor client and see how it goes!

I can’t express to you how much I appreciate you giving me this opportunity to finally play this game in single player. I can’t wait to dive in and learn the ropes.

Edit: One last question: which region or town do you suggest I start in as a total newbie?

Gadget2013

Jun 13, 2014
If you don't mind, I'd like to share some experiences and try to answer the questions as well, as a person who has been playing Ultima Odyssey since April and who had some, but not much, past experience with stock Ultima Online :) Maybe this will be helpful to @Julzjuice and other people who are coming here for the first time to find, try, and enjoy Djeryv's amazing game.

First of all, my experience with Ultima Odyssey has been such that it both feels like Ultima Online and it's not exactly Ultima Online at the same time. First of all, it's important to keep in mind that Odyssey is running on the Ultima Online engine and is using the RunUO server core, so obviously, it'll at least share some basic features with Ultima Online itself and with the other UO/RunUO-based shards and games. For example, the gump-based interface, UO/U7/U8 style inventory management, basics of character creation and stats (three primary attributes, the skill system, etc.), that kind of things. At the same time, many of these aspects are changed, at least to some degree, and in many cases significantly. For example, the primary attributes, while they're the same as in UO itself, give a different boost to your hit points, mana, and stamina compared to what you might read in the official UO guide. The skills, while named the same as in Ultima Online, are typically expanded in many ways to make them more useful and interesting in a single player environment, but obviously these modifications will not be explained in the official UO guide. Therefore, the similarities between Ultima Odyssey and stock Ultima Online may, at many times, be misguiding, so relying on an Ultima Online wiki source may yield the desired results and explanations. That said, there *are* certain aspects that Ultima Odyssey shares with stock UO that you may find explained on some kind of an UO wiki - for example, the basic meaning and function of some of the secondary stats you may see on items, such as Defense Chance or whatever, as well as certain weapon and armor characteristics such as Blood Bane (which may not be too self-explanatory at first, especially if you've never played UO before). Now, once again, I'm not even sure if these characteristics act exactly the same as they did in stock UO, but if you need at least the basic idea of what they do, checking out the UO wiki may prove useful.

Now, Ultima Odyssey is meant to be pretty much self-contained, and like Djeryv said, a *lot* of the game mechanics are explained within the game itself, in many of the books and scrolls that you can either buy from someone or find in the dungeons or something like that. As a completely new player who haven't played UO before, you want to be sure to check out the Adventure Guide that any new character is given at start. It doesn't go into too much detail about the game, but it does explain most of the basics about the character and the interface that you'd want to know to get started. Then, be sure to check the "Help" menu and, I'd say, take some time to read everything in there that explains how the game functions and stuff, there's a lot of information about the updated skills, many of the new and Odyssey-specific features and interface elements, etc. If you spend some time reading first the Adventure Guide and then the Help menu, you'll feel that the game will be a lot easier to get into and you'll definitely appreciate the level of detail the game provides in explaining itself to the player. As you keep playing, be sure to pay attention to the guidebooks and scrolls you encounter as well. Check out some of the stuff that Sages in towns have for sale, they're useful as well and they also explain many of the game mechanics. Be sure to check out the information scrolls in taverns and banks. In other words, if there's information in the game itself, be sure to check it out. The fun part about this game is that it's designed to be explored and discovered. In many ways, having those wikis that explain everything about the game kind of ruins the experience - if you already know the best weapon and the best armor there is, and you know where to go to get one, you are absolutely sure there will be nothing better in this game. However, with Ultima Odyssey, you never know :) And in many months of playing, I still discover new items and new game mechanics and new locations that really surprise me - not many games can do that nowadays with the all-knowing Internet and the power of wikis :)

Overall, therefore, try to play the game on its own terms and using the in-game information as much as possible, it's fun and it keeps the sense of discovery and exploration (and thus novelty) for a very long time. If you do come across some kind of named mechanic that you're curious about but you don't see explained (mostly stuff you see in item descriptions, I guess), then check out the official UO information to get the basic idea, but don't rely on specific numbers (damage amount, percentages, etc.) too much since they could have been changed in Odyssey. Also, it might be useful to at least check out the official game guide of some sort if you'd like to learn how certain subsystems work in UO, especially which might feel a little obscure/counterintuitive at first, such as, for example, navigating ships or building customized houses.

As for the choice of the client, I'm usually playing with Razor Enhanced as well, but I really like ClassicUO too and I like to see how it develops. Currently I mostly have two issues with it (one with the lighting problems like Djeryv mentioned, the other is that for some reason it doesn't show some of the (customized?) container gumps, instead defaulting to the standard bag, which also messes up item positions - e.g. many wardrobes and stuff are shown with the "bag" gump in ClassicUO, and it kind of ruins it). But that said, it's really getting there, and it's a very decent custom client with a lot of neat features and good, smooth FPS by default, so at least keep and eye on it as it matures, it's compatible with Odyssey. Also, it's the only way you can have both a free and open-source server (RunUO) *and* a free and open-source client executable (ClassicUO) running on operating systems that UO wasn't even meant to run on without an emulator or compatibility layer (e.g. Wine) of any sort, e.g. it's the only way I can play Ultima Odyssey natively on Linux without resorting to Wine.

A little side note for something I kinda learned the hard way: if you ever end up using those "donation boxes" in taverns as a sort of "shared chest" type of thing to transfer items between your own characters, keep in mind that the contents are completely wiped if you run a [buildworld command, which is something I normally do if I update my game to a newer version. I kinda learned it the hard way, lol, didn't lose anything useful but figured out that the contents are wiped when you rebuild the world (it makes perfect sense and it's perfectly logical, just not something that I thought of immediately when first trying the command, haha).

Oh, and since you asked about a bestiary... There's no bestiary as such online (in a wiki or whatever), buuut (warning: spoiler alert!) there are...... (check the spoiler below if you want ;))
some D&D-inspired, very rare items in the game which might... surprise you and kinda help in this regard ;) Keep your eye open on them!

Last edited: