Resource icon

Ultima Odyssey 2019-03-12

No permission to download

Julzjuice

Nov 23, 2018
If you don't mind, I'd like to share some experiences and try to answer the questions as well, as a person who has been playing Ultima Odyssey since April and who had some, but not much, past experience with stock Ultima Online :) Maybe this will be helpful to @Julzjuice and other people who are coming here for the first time to find, try, and enjoy Djeryv's amazing game.

First of all, my experience with Ultima Odyssey has been such that it both feels like Ultima Online and it's not exactly Ultima Online at the same time. First of all, it's important to keep in mind that Odyssey is running on the Ultima Online engine and is using the RunUO server core, so obviously, it'll at least share some basic features with Ultima Online itself and with the other UO/RunUO-based shards and games. For example, the gump-based interface, UO/U7/U8 style inventory management, basics of character creation and stats (three primary attributes, the skill system, etc.), that kind of things. At the same time, many of these aspects are changed, at least to some degree, and in many cases significantly. For example, the primary attributes, while they're the same as in UO itself, give a different boost to your hit points, mana, and stamina compared to what you might read in the official UO guide. The skills, while named the same as in Ultima Online, are typically expanded in many ways to make them more useful and interesting in a single player environment, but obviously these modifications will not be explained in the official UO guide. Therefore, the similarities between Ultima Odyssey and stock Ultima Online may, at many times, be misguiding, so relying on an Ultima Online wiki source may yield the desired results and explanations. That said, there *are* certain aspects that Ultima Odyssey shares with stock UO that you may find explained on some kind of an UO wiki - for example, the basic meaning and function of some of the secondary stats you may see on items, such as Defense Chance or whatever, as well as certain weapon and armor characteristics such as Blood Bane (which may not be too self-explanatory at first, especially if you've never played UO before). Now, once again, I'm not even sure if these characteristics act exactly the same as they did in stock UO, but if you need at least the basic idea of what they do, checking out the UO wiki may prove useful.

Now, Ultima Odyssey is meant to be pretty much self-contained, and like Djeryv said, a *lot* of the game mechanics are explained within the game itself, in many of the books and scrolls that you can either buy from someone or find in the dungeons or something like that. As a completely new player who haven't played UO before, you want to be sure to check out the Adventure Guide that any new character is given at start. It doesn't go into too much detail about the game, but it does explain most of the basics about the character and the interface that you'd want to know to get started. Then, be sure to check the "Help" menu and, I'd say, take some time to read everything in there that explains how the game functions and stuff, there's a lot of information about the updated skills, many of the new and Odyssey-specific features and interface elements, etc. If you spend some time reading first the Adventure Guide and then the Help menu, you'll feel that the game will be a lot easier to get into and you'll definitely appreciate the level of detail the game provides in explaining itself to the player. As you keep playing, be sure to pay attention to the guidebooks and scrolls you encounter as well. Check out some of the stuff that Sages in towns have for sale, they're useful as well and they also explain many of the game mechanics. Be sure to check out the information scrolls in taverns and banks. In other words, if there's information in the game itself, be sure to check it out. The fun part about this game is that it's designed to be explored and discovered. In many ways, having those wikis that explain everything about the game kind of ruins the experience - if you already know the best weapon and the best armor there is, and you know where to go to get one, you are absolutely sure there will be nothing better in this game. However, with Ultima Odyssey, you never know :) And in many months of playing, I still discover new items and new game mechanics and new locations that really surprise me - not many games can do that nowadays with the all-knowing Internet and the power of wikis :)

Overall, therefore, try to play the game on its own terms and using the in-game information as much as possible, it's fun and it keeps the sense of discovery and exploration (and thus novelty) for a very long time. If you do come across some kind of named mechanic that you're curious about but you don't see explained (mostly stuff you see in item descriptions, I guess), then check out the official UO information to get the basic idea, but don't rely on specific numbers (damage amount, percentages, etc.) too much since they could have been changed in Odyssey. Also, it might be useful to at least check out the official game guide of some sort if you'd like to learn how certain subsystems work in UO, especially which might feel a little obscure/counterintuitive at first, such as, for example, navigating ships or building customized houses.

As for the choice of the client, I'm usually playing with Razor Enhanced as well, but I really like ClassicUO too and I like to see how it develops. Currently I mostly have two issues with it (one with the lighting problems like Djeryv mentioned, the other is that for some reason it doesn't show some of the (customized?) container gumps, instead defaulting to the standard bag, which also messes up item positions - e.g. many wardrobes and stuff are shown with the "bag" gump in ClassicUO, and it kind of ruins it). But that said, it's really getting there, and it's a very decent custom client with a lot of neat features and good, smooth FPS by default, so at least keep and eye on it as it matures, it's compatible with Odyssey. Also, it's the only way you can have both a free and open-source server (RunUO) *and* a free and open-source client executable (ClassicUO) running on operating systems that UO wasn't even meant to run on without an emulator or compatibility layer (e.g. Wine) of any sort, e.g. it's the only way I can play Ultima Odyssey natively on Linux without resorting to Wine.

A little side note for something I kinda learned the hard way: if you ever end up using those "donation boxes" in taverns as a sort of "shared chest" type of thing to transfer items between your own characters, keep in mind that the contents are completely wiped if you run a [buildworld command, which is something I normally do if I update my game to a newer version. I kinda learned it the hard way, lol, didn't lose anything useful but figured out that the contents are wiped when you rebuild the world (it makes perfect sense and it's perfectly logical, just not something that I thought of immediately when first trying the command, haha).

Oh, and since you asked about a bestiary... There's no bestiary as such online (in a wiki or whatever), buuut (warning: spoiler alert!) there are...... (check the spoiler below if you want ;))
some D&D-inspired, very rare items in the game which might... surprise you and kinda help in this regard ;) Keep your eye open on them!
Hey gadjet!

Thanks a lot for all those tips and information. I’m still stuck at work and you have no idea how eager I am to get started on learning the game! It’s killing me!!!!

And I’ve got a couple questions for you, if you don’t mind answering:

Is there a lot of things to do in the world? How vast is the bestiary? Is loot random in chests or when they drop from monsters or are drops static and implemented manually by the author? Are magic weapons and armour also built randomly by the game engine with different stats? I’m guessing there are some unique items that can be found? Relics or artifacts?

I’ve got sooooo many questions haha. I’m a huge fan of D&D.... I grew up with games like Ice Wind Dale and Baldur’s Gate and I’m also a huge fan of roguelike games like dwarf fortress. I love sandbox worlds and I love it when there’s a lot of replay-ability!

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just super excited haha!

Gadget2013

Jun 13, 2014
Sure, I don't mind at all :)

This game is open-ended and has a vast, open world to explore. It doesn't really have any kind of "ultimate goal" or a complete plot that you can "complete", but it does offer a ton of opportunities to shape your own character and find a ton of things to do. Basically, you make a character (or, eventually, characters) and you do whatever you want to do and whatever you feel is right to do, fitting your own playstyle and your own objectives into the game. You can get random, relatively minor fetch/kill type quests (e.g. the tavern ones), and eventually you'll discover locations in the world which will set you on bigger adventures, some of which will take many hours to complete and will not only provide you with dungeons to explore and monsters to kill but also will challenge you with puzzles (e.g. the Skara Brae mega-quest that I completed in about a week and a half I think, getting stuck quite a few times with puzzles :) ). Other than that, you can be a goodie in this game and slay monsters, or you can choose to become a thief or an assassin (might be a little more advanced, something you choose at the beginning of the game mostly and it's certainly not something you want to try for your very first character). You can also find a treasure map, for instance, and get involved in a treasure hunt, or build your own ship and brave the seas in search for adventure on remote islands and whatnot :) In other words, it's an open world where you do what you feel like doing :)

The bestiary is... vast :) There are tons of creatures, probably on the order of hundreds, many coming from stock UO and quite a lot custom ones too. Many creatures have several "variants", too.The loot is also random (both the monster drops and the chest loot), and many of the stats on the weapons are randomized. There are quite a lot of unique artifacts with predefined stats and abilities, including unique ones, too. Overall, there are thousands of different items to discover, many of which can have randomized stats on them. You can also customize some equipment eventually, e.g. you can have a Blacksmith character, a member of the Blacksmith guild, who will eventually (at Master level I think) will be able to use a special hammer to add and improve abilities on weapons and whatnot. Some of the bigger quests also offer customizable artifacts as a form of reward, those are very interesting (basically, you get a fixed number of points and you allocate them to whatever stats/abilities you want on the artifact).

Ultima Odyssey does share some features with roguelikes, in particular, it can be quite unforgiving when it comes to losing gear - for instance, there are some quite unforgiving traps that can make your favorite magical sword disappear for good, or turn all the gold on you into lead, or whatever. Those can feel quite frustrating unless you're into things like Nethack or ToME which can also be quite punishing :) Personally I find this aspect of the game interesting and beneficial - at least traps make sense no matter how beefy your character is, and you're actually afraid of getting into traps and it makes sense for you to learn how to avoid or detect traps no matter how good of a character you have. And if you don't, well, you will eventually suffer the consequences.

There are some ways around this if you find this too frustrating (like, you can, of course, restart the server and/or load from a backup save), although this is technically cheating :) But then again, this is your game, and if something gets you into a situation where you feel like abandoning the game, it might be wise to learn of a way to avoid that kind of situation, since Ultima Odyssey is a lot of fun to play :)

Julzjuice

Nov 23, 2018
Thanks for all this information Gadjet, this is so amazing!

I am currently playing and trying to learn the game. I am slaying rabbits to get my fighting skills up at the moment and I almost lost a fight to a hawk... hahaha. But then my character started to get hungry, so I ate a bread loaf. I went back into town and I bought some more food but heres the thing... Vendors are not charging me anything?

They're all saying I wouldn't presume to charge you something. Here are the goods you requested. Is that normal?

Gadget2013

Jun 13, 2014
Hmm, I'm actually not sure, but could it be that you're using an account with admin privileges? That's about the only idea I have so far (you can try creating a new account and seeing if that helps...) Perhaps someone else would have a better idea as to why this might happen, in case my idea doesn't work... :/

Julzjuice

Nov 23, 2018
Hmm, I'm actually not sure, but could it be that you're using an account with admin privileges? That's about the only idea I have so far (you can try creating a new account and seeing if that helps...) Perhaps someone else would have a better idea as to why this might happen, in case my idea doesn't work... :/
Djeryv,

Is it normal that all the merchants are giving me their goods for free and wont charge me for anything? I created a new character at the logging screen as per normal. I tried creating a couple to see if the problem would go away but they all have the same problem.

Am I logged in as an admin somehow? Is there a way to fix that?

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Julzjuice is logging in with an admin account and then is playing with that. They would have to make an account for just playing around with to get the normal player status. I mean you can set it as a player but I like keeping the admin account separate from gameplay.

Just log in with a different account name for playing.
Post automatically merged:

10 Spells to go...

Last edited:

Julzjuice

Nov 23, 2018
Julzjuice is logging in with an admin account and then is playing with that. They would have to make an account for just playing around with to get the normal player status. I mean you can set it as a player but I like keeping the admin account separate from gameplay.

Just log in with a different account name for playing.
Post automatically merged:

10 Spells to go...

View attachment 13940
That fixed it, thank you!

Just played 10 hours almost non stop. This game is crack.

ubentobox

Aug 6, 2015
So... unsure what is happening, this is with an unmodified server mode, but my characters are logging in after a server shutdown and they look like giant trolls.. Anyone else having this issue? I have to issue an Admin kill / resurrect to correct it without penalizing myself.

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Screenshots would help.

Also, if you look like a giant troll, try removing equipment and see if it goes away. It could be a creature animation is assigned to an equipment animation and we can get that fixed if that is the case.

Otherwise...I never had this issue.

Julzjuice

Nov 23, 2018
Quick question guys, what am I to do with all the copper/silver coins I find? No merchant will take them.

Is there a way to convert them in gold coins somehow?

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
No bank? Where did you start? The snowy island? There are 3 towns really close to each other that is why there is only 1 bank on the entire island.

Julzjuice

Nov 23, 2018
No bank? Where did you start? The snowy island? There are 3 towns really close to each other that is why there is only 1 bank on the entire island.
I’m not home right now but I think I started in the Britain village? Pretty sure that’s the name of the place. It was the portal straight in upright corner of the portal room, I think.

It’s hard for me to figure out what to do right now haha. I tried to explore around the village and travelled very far and there was no end in sight to the plains and forests. I couldn’t find any quests either and spoke to everyone I could think of.

I found 2 dead adventurers corpses with lots of loot on them. One wasn’t guarded and gave a hammer and a pike to kill vampires. I think it’s a priest thing. The other corps had orcs and goblins around. I killed a few of them but by the time I went back to try to loot the rest of what was on the corps it disappeared right as I was approaching . I’m guessing there’s some kind of timer that cleans up items on the ground after a while after you’ve interacted with it.

I tried to buy all the books I could too. I met the sage in the local castle. I wish I could find a book that explains what each skill does exactly and how to use them best.

Anyways, I’m really enjoying this but I must admit that it’s hard for me to figure out what I’m supposed to do. I tried exploring around the village... I went quite far in all directions but there was nothing interesting at all. And since I have no money or gear I can’t venture to far. I can’t seem to sell any of the stuff I found during my exploration so I’m not making money.

I’m lost haha.

The next time I play I think I will try to buy a pickaxe if I can somehow make the money to afford one and then go and mine somewhere. I don’t know how mining works but I guess I’ll figure it out. I’m hoping that by bringing back some ore for the local blacksmith I can make some money.

Also, there’s something weird I noticed happening in my game... there are some merchants with who I can’t interact at all. I try to talk to them, buy or sell things to them but it’s like the options are just not working at all. I click and nothing happens. Weird. Same thing happens with the local warrior guild master (I think that’s what he is). I’m trying to talk to him or buy things from him and when I select those options nothing happens. Maybe that’s intended?

I might just start over in another village, though. There doesn’t seem to be much to do where I am right now.

Also.... Is it possible to not be a human or are humans the only possible race choice?

Last edited:

Gadget2013

Jun 13, 2014
Britain is the biggest city in the land of Sosaria, and it definitely has both a bank and a tavern, you just haven't found the bank, potentially (kind of hard to explain where it is, but basically, it's not very far from the gate that leads into the city from the south, just check all the buildings and you'll find it eventually). If you killed some stuff you should have enough copper/silver on you to convert into gold so that you can afford some basic stuff around town. If you want, check the posts in the tavern and/or bank for some basic fetch/kill type quests (don't remember if you have to single click or double click them), but those are random and can either give you something very simple and close (kill a bull frog in a nearby dungeon or whatever) or can send you somewhere very far to do something dangerous, hehe, so it's kind of a "lottery" whether you get a completable quest for a beginner character or not...

There are many ways to play, but one of the more straightforward approaches (assuming you created a strength-based fighter type of character) is to go for a warrior maybe with a miner/blacksmith spec later on. As such, look for an easy enough nearby dungeon or a graveyard and see if you can tackle it first. If it's too difficult, then you'll have to get your fighting skills to a bit higher level by fighting the wild animals outside. Once you're able to tackle an Easy level dungeon or graveyard, you should be able to find or afford a little bit better gear which should allow you to travel a bit further. Also, be sure to buy a rideable horse when you get a chance (and money) to do so, it speeds things up *a lot* (you ride a lot faster than you walk/run). The world is vast and a good chunk of it is plains/forests/whatever, but you have to run/ride around and look for places to explore, you'll find caves which have dungeons (just mind the difficulty level, even a Normal dungeon can be hard for a beginner character and can lead to your character getting owned there, look for Easy dungeons first). Sometimes you'll come across landmarks such as towers, castles, orc camps, etc. It's up to you either to try and brave them or skip them for the time being. If you're on a horse, running away from a potentially deadly landmark is far easier than if you just run. Sometimes you'll find portals that transport you across the land, that's a decent way to get across far distances. You can locate the nearby one via the Help menu, there's a function called Moongate Search that accomplishes that. :)

The merchants - guildmasters will only interact with members of the appropriate guild. You can read the information about guilds in the tavern if I remember right (or in the bank, perhaps), on one of those wall scrolls.

Mining: near every town (or sometimes in it, like in Britain ;) there's usually a small cavern with no monsters inside that can be used for mining. You can start with that so that you don't have to travel very far into guarded mountainous areas for that purpose. Of course, to find better ores later in the game you'll want to do that, but for starters, the mining area in or next to the starting town is a good place to mine to get the relevant skill up.

A pike to kill vampires can get some money (though not too much) even if you don't plan on becoming a cleric :) Check out the description as to how to use it (I think either double clicking or single clicking it should bring up a description box, I forgot which).

Skills are described in the Help menu, its Skills section. Be sure to read the information there, that list details the basic use of the skills and what you can do with them.

As for the races, there are also elves in this game, I don't remember if you can start in Lodoria or not, but if I remember correctly if you do start there, your character is an elf (though I may be wrong, so Djeryv will probably answer that better than I can, I haven't tried it yet in my playthrough)

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
This is a human only game. You have the ability to start your game in Lodoria but that is usually an option taken by players that want a tad-harder start and they sometimes want to jump into classic dungeons right away (Despise, Destard, etc.)

green

Oct 18, 2018
bug report!!!!
hello playing today on a multiplayer version of the shard, crashed while tracking seamonsters on the water, i was tracking an aquatic ghoul and it crashed, please be advised. the ghoul was about to reveal itself and the crashed happend.

Last edited:

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Where is the crash log? I just jumped on a boat as a player character and had a floating eye leap onto my ship without a crash. So without a crash log I can't really do much.

Last edited:

green

Oct 18, 2018
i am not hosting the server i will ask admin for log, it doesnt happen all the time but it has happened numerous times to me while tracking a mob...
to my knowledge it happens when a mob is being tracked actively and the mob is about to unhide, it doesnt happen everytime,