Resource icon

Ultima Odyssey 2019-03-12

No permission to download

Exale

Mar 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Shard Name
Mystical Nights
Just wanted to jump in and say your hard work is appreciated Djeryv. Got a great server here. Thanks for sharing it!

Tempus

Aug 5, 2015
www.amazon.com
Me thinks Finaltwist should just try playing a bit more... you never know what you might find if you actually get in there and enjoy whats there - maybe even including ways to lose some coin. ;)

Finaltwist

Sep 7, 2019
Me thinks Finaltwist should just try playing a bit more... you never know what you might find if you actually get in there and enjoy whats there - maybe even including ways to lose some coin. ;)
Sadly its hard to get away with playing UO during work hours... HOWEVER... looking at code and working on the server actually looks like i'm doing something work related!

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Me thinks Finaltwist should just try playing a bit more... you never know what you might find if you actually get in there and enjoy whats there - maybe even including ways to lose some coin.
Lately, I have been bravely just drinking from any magic pool I find without taking precautions. Although everything is random, I do get the coins to lead effect most often it seems...or it annoys me the most.

I think it has been a mixed bag of how people like to play the game. I make clear warnings on what this game is so I have zero sympathy for those that load this up and talk about the difficulty being too intense (there is a rare amount that may complain about the opposite...but then I find out later that they altered their game to hand out super powerful magic items like it was bread from the local baker). As far as I am concerned, players downloaded the entire source/server and they can dig in there and change things if they want. Asking me for help to alter my creation into something that I have no interest in playing gets very little participation from me. Nor does adding things to "my" current system as I already grabbed every community thing years ago, so if I would have wanted it...I would have put it into the game already. I am very "Sheldon" about this where I read about alterations people made to this and I think they are "having fun wrong". But that is the beauty of this because these changes that others make have no effect on my game and it lets others turn this into something I guess they want to play. We all just have different views on how the game should be played.

I remember reading someone's dev notes about how they removed the "random equipped item vanishes" trap from the game. I could only assume some player got really pissed off about this happening to them and so from my design point...mission accomplished. These traps are supposed to piss you off and make dungeons scary again. For those that don't dig into the code, the random trap system has a pseudo-saving-throw system built in that you don't really see as a player. So a pit trap will do a test against your dexterity where it may not go off at all. A item disappearing trap checks against your magic resist. So basically players run over many hidden traps often but they are resisting the effects and thus not setting them off. I guess players think these traps are "arbitrary" effects when they have the mechanics in place to avoid them...they just choose not to use them in the game. NOTE: I think I can add a message system to the game that tells you when you make these saving throws...maybe I will...so players get the satisfaction of missing the trap...like when you get "lucky" and avoid traps.

But this is one of the main reasons I don't run a server...because such a server would be "my way or the highway" and it would have a low population because it caters to no one. I have seen a few servers abandon their design methodologies due to player outrage, and their original vision for their game turns into something different because they don't want to lose the few players they have. I have no such emotional ties. That is the secret of player driven change and it reminds me of my friends with their psycho girlfriends. You might know the type. They like everything the guy likes and says things like "sure...go hang out with your friends tonight". Once the ring hits the finger...they suddenly don't like some of the same things nor the guy's friends. UO communities seem like this. Players jump on a server, accept the game play as is, wait for the population to get higher and then threaten to quit unless their demands are met. The server admin shits their pants and bows to these players because they don't want to be dumped and alone.

If I were "community minded", then Ultima Odyssey could probably have been a successful shard. It has new lands, many new dungeons, and a bunch of custom systems in place that no other shard has ever done. From what I can tell, it has a play style that nobody does either...the solo mode...because they have high hopes for a huge population. I just can't deal with community forums, promotional videos, and complaining players. I never wanted to turn UO into a job. I have fun adding something to my game...and I have fun playing it. I am reminded of this when I wander into the Outlands Discord (while visiting ClassicUO's Discord) and I see what is being said in chat. How Owyn doesn't end up in a bath tub, making out with the end of a shotgun, and listening to Careless Whisper...I'll never know.

This can actually point out a common theme on why shards are not successful but you get new admins coming to the UO emulation community and try it anyway. Some will say that it is because of players not finding their shards...but look at how Outlands does things (I keep pointing out Outlands in this post because they are a more recent, extreme example of these points brought up). They promote the hell out of that server...everywhere they can make an account and upload a post/video. It takes alot of work past just putting an entry on a UO shard advertising server. There is also the cookie-cutter issue I see going on. Many servers simply load up the standard UO world and spawns. If you read their "features" section, they are very underwhelming because we have seen the same things for years. When your entire feature list is derived from scripts that you can download from the "Custom Release" section, it isn't very unique anymore. Your server needs to stand out more than that for others to want to try it.

We'll never know if Ultima Odyssey would have been a successful MMORPG, however, because it never went that route. Now that it is publicly available, it is ruined as ever being a server with a huge population. As soon as your players get annoyed with the direction of your Odyssey...they'll just download this package and run their own. You can't do that with Outlands. You have to play what they have and like it or leave it. Now, the definition of a "successful shard" is subjective. One may think 1,000 players while another thinks 70 players. It all depends on what measure of success you set for yourself. That is why I call this a multiplayer adventure game instead of an MMO, because nobody running a version of this will see high population numbers.

One semi-unfortunate part of Odyssey is that most elements of the game cannot be shared with the community. Meaning...there are very few things in this game that are "drap and drop" for any shard. They often span many different scripts that require things unique to Odyssey that they would never work on another shard without someone reverse engineering it. I think once developers stopped being afraid to alter the client...is when the UO emulation scene went to another level. A new admin to UO emulation would be hesitant to edit scripts let alone make new ones...and then to alter the client files on top of that is a tall order. It takes years of experience for sure. If you don't understand both the client side...and mechanical side...you will run into problems. Outlands seems to have this issue sometimes. The map is really nice looking but the map creator didn't understand the housing mechanics side of the game. So if you don't place items on the ground level (trees, rocks, etc) you can place houses on those spots because the house placement checks the ground and not for things in the air.

Lastly, to point out an example of where I messed up before. I didn't know there was no spell damage increase cap. On OSI this isn't a big deal because of their magic item system...but...in Odyssey there are more diversity in magic items. So players were getting past 100% spell damage increase. A nice player pointed it out to me and the issue is resolved as an optional setting...but I wouldn't have caught that on my own. If I understood how spell damage increase fully worked it never would have been an issue...but...that's how I learn.

Reactions: Exale

ubentobox

Aug 6, 2015
Djeryv: You'll never hear complaints from me :)

I started creating or working shards way back with SphereUO and on server Arcodia and SanctuaryUO. I spent years on the first until some elements of the community went into creep factor 9. Sanctuary I loved because they had setup an awesome shard. They had managed to really recreate the feel of shack slums within city wards, and I spent weeks fishing off my dock at a lovely log fishing hut along the shore. They're all gone now, joined multiple fail-to-launch attempts, worked on stuff with Khaybel, Rav, Acid, Druid, bunch of them from that group. As people moved on the knowledge for shard customization dropped like a rock. Khaybel stopped developing because he was constantly rebuilding Orbsydia vBulletin like a coke addiction, hemorrhaging members of the community.

I've basically been in a 10 year slump of coping with not having a quality shard to play on that isn't a light-brite, clone, unimaginative, or not interesting to 'you' as you so succinctly put it.

Then I saw some random post and found this. When I started at first, I realized immediately that there was a lot of things I was not going to even realize existed or I was using wrong because I don't have as much time to put in like I used to. So I spent a few weeks playing with the new house designs, combining them by overlapping outer walls, etc. Didn't give myself uber loots but did hop around as admin and get an idea what kind of loot/magic/items to expect and get a feel for the item identification systems, etc.

Now that I got that out, I've spent the majority of my time building up an assassin character and having a blast. The only thing I want to change is OrionUO compatibility so I can enjoy the game on a large monitor. The classic client is quickly getting smaller and smaller as displays grow in resolution, so I am seeing if I can merge the diffs over in a usable way.

I've managed to locate the majority of the old tools, but damn I wish I had the working copy of UOGenesis or the other custom map creator tool whose name escapes me. I think I can resist trying to build anything for about 1,000 hours.. maybe. Your setup already fits with something I'd imagine but I'm sure there are tons of nuances and things I haven't thought about.

Really the only request I have for you is you don't give it up, and maybe find a way to preserve the knowledge of customizing this game for others. This was the first MMO and it also was one of my very first computer games on Windows, before that was an Apple IIGS with California Games. I spent 15 years playing this game, and truth be told I just cannot find comfort in these other games. Other games mostly feel like hollow shells. Sure, UO could have had tons of improvements done to it, but I'll never enjoy killing 100 chickens to get 1 damned feather. EVE mostly gets my interest but its a massive time sink. Star Citizen is.. well, they're not yet past wipes, so I don't care enough. I still keep coming back to this game, you've just made it incredibly easier for me to enjoy it and have it feel fresh at the same time.

If I ever do mess with the code, it might be to enable things like 'Syth' alchemy and expand poison applicable weapons. I chuckled when I saw that addition. The only thing I've given my assassin is some Syth pajamas without stats :)

Finaltwist

Sep 7, 2019
Hey there - I know you're set on your ways when it comes to the server, but i was wondering if anyone could let me know what i could change to make it so a player is no longer grey when they resurrect.

Perhaps I'm the only one getting guard whacked consistently in cities? I dug a grave and now my bank account is empty :(

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Digging graves is a crime. You may even see the message about someone seeing you dig and running away.

Finaltwist

Sep 7, 2019
Thats totally fair... but when you resurrect, you should be blue again?

haha okay ill be more careful.

really love the solo element here. it works.

Last edited:

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Nope. The 2 minute timer needs to run its course.

Just to be sure...I dug some graves...someone spotted me...I went and got guard wacked...I resurrected at a shrine...and in about a minute or two I was blue again. Also, how did you manage to get resurrected...especially so close to the city gates like that?
Post automatically merged:

I ran into a couple of annoying things while playing and decided to address them now...otherwise...I would likely forget about them after the year is over. The rest is just stuff I added cuz I could.

- There are no mounts allowed in public areas now (if no mount regions is still enabled that is). I think it looks dumb to go into a tavern on the back of a horse. The only reason I didn't disable it sooner was because henchman had to see you were on a horse before you summoned them so they could mount up as well. This mechanic is gone and the henchman now pay attention to you no matter where you are...so...if you mount up (or increase your speed in some other way) they will mount up at that time.
- You can now fill your flask up at a fish barrel.
- There is an option in DifficultyLevel.cs that allows you to turn on the system that will notify players when their character avoids a trap with a saving throw. The default is false.
- There is a new questing option for necromancers if they ever learn about it. It allows them to get a skeletal dragon similar to the dragon egg system.
- The new home storage crates are in the game. These were also provided in the Custom Release section here on this site. Carpenters sell them and can make them.
- Fixed an issue where you couldn't build homes in the Dark Caves by Umbra (I am not sure how long that has been broke).
- Fixed the light aura around magic mirrors.
- Fixed ramadon body values because the animation I acquired had missing frames causing it to blink out of existence at times.
- Demon wings are an option to find in the game. Before you get excited, these are animations I got off the Internet and they were really used to make my gargoyle race in the City of Furnace. So it requires a cloak and when you are on a mount, seated, or fighting...it looks like a cloak. Otherwise they have a demon wing appearance. I saw no big deal in adding them as a cosmetic character option for fun.
- Replaced bank chests with more appropriate looking bank vaults. These are the containers you run into in the world that allow you to access your bank box.
- Some map tweaks, but mostly the Dark Caves had a hue design change and the cavernous area in Time Awaits has color alterations and less animated lava tiles.
- This package still has Razor Enhanced but ClassicUO is the way to go. If you use ClassicUO, delete your UOP files out of your client directory.

@ubentobox try my installation of ClassicUO. You can get the entire client and ClassicUO in this link below. This link may disappear at any time, as I am just doing you a favor to check it out and see how it runs for you. I personally love it and it breathes new life into UO (especially with things like zoom in and out and setting your screen size in-game.

LINK

Last edited:

ubentobox

Aug 6, 2015
@ubentobox try my installation of ClassicUO. You can get the entire client and ClassicUO in this link below. This link may disappear at any time, as I am just doing you a favor to check it out and see how it runs for you. I personally love it and it breathes new life into UO (especially with things like zoom in and out and setting your screen size in-game.

LINK
Hey Djeryv,

This is basically what I was getting with Orion client! Exactly the experience I was looking for. Tyvm sir :)

*edit* I think this client should be distributed with the main setup. Currently I'm running your code vanilla plus the classic client and it's just what I need. I've only set the itemident in backpack to true so I can invite my friends for weekend sessions like a game of pen & paper :).