Resource icon

Ultima Odyssey 2019-03-12

No permission to download

Wanderer

Apr 18, 2019
Thx for getting back to me. The loot I mentioned is the general stuff like armor, weapons, wands, and other generated things. I have enclosed an image of the map to see if If I'm getting this right.

With the map above, I cannot plot a course to the right part of the map past a certain point. As for the loot, this is the type of loot I was asking about. Thanks in advance!

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Maps are only as big as you skill can draw and where you draw it from. So that is as big as that map is going to get assuming the skill is not as high and it was drawn somewhere near Devil Guard. Try drawing another on the east side of Sosaria once...or the center.

Those wands...mages sometimes buy them...sometimes...,
The armor and weapons are bought by smiths and such...sometimes.

Last edited:

Wanderer

Apr 18, 2019
Thanks! Smaller maps work out well. Could you point me in the direction of increasing the frequency?

Wanderer

Apr 18, 2019
Back in UOX3 days vendors could be configured to buy and sell items with a vendor bag system. I'm assuming this is done through the scripts in RunUO. I was wondering which scripts I should be looking at. I haven't messed with RunUO since its early days, but am looking forward learning how it works.

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
You may want to replace your soul orbs because they do not work after a server reboot. These will delete themselves after a reboot...which is fine to me. People will just need to re-cast resurrection spells if they want a new one.

Attachments

Wanderer

Apr 18, 2019
Alright thx I'll drop it in. I have been tweaking some things here and there to suite my playstyle and you have a lot of cool things in the scripts Djeryv. I am not a coder by any means, but by playing the game and reading the code I can start to figure out how things work. I guess with enough time I'll understand enough to complement your work. I did recompile the core to enable mobile collision on all facets, tweaked some vendors here and there and adjusted the gold drop. So far so good. This is an awesome release! Thx for the update!

Gadget2013

Jun 13, 2014
Thank you so much for making this amazing server and for making it publicly available, Djeryv!
I've been playing it for over a week by now, solo for the time being (but planning to make a couple of my friends join me if they would like some old-school gaming experience), and I can say I'm enjoying every minute of it. I can say that it's more or less how I imagined Ultima Online should be when the game was only planned for release circa 1997 or so :) Then, when it was finally released, I figured out that it's not quite how I imagined it would be, and then with the newer expansions it was changed beyond recognition.

Ultima Odyssey, for me, is a chance and a possibility to play Ultima Online more or less how I wanted it to be - an immersive fantasy world where you could do whatever you want and advance your character progression and amass your wealth in a sandbox-like, freeform way. I absolutely love how it feels almost like a graphical MUD/roguelike, since I'm a long-time fan of hardcore roguelikes like Nethack. It's challenging, it has lots of potential for YASDs, it has really strong and unpredictable trap effects, it has a ton of land for exploration (currently still roaming the land of Sosaria and, actually, haven't found a way to teleport to another land, though I'm sure that with enough exploration I will - a quest is actually sending me to another land, so I'll need to start figuring this part out :)) and every element in the game makes sense in both single player and multiplayer environment (if a skill or item is there, there is at least some use for it, making for a rather large variety of possible character builds and exploration paths). I like how many strange and usually useless items can be turned it for money.

It's really nice to see that the world feels "alive" even if you're playing solo or in a very small group. All those random characters appearing in towns and saying various lines (even though you can't interact with them directly, I guess they can be potential targets for murderer type characters too), sometimes talking about various rumors or referencing some game lore, a lot of characters who you can interact with and talk to and they would explain portions of the game mechanics and stuff, or get collectible items from you, or they can be hired to identify or repair stuff, that kind of thing - this really sets this server aside since it's captivating and not boring to play even in a low human player population or solo play conditions.

I really like how you made the normally multiplayer-only MMORPG elements such as housing and player vendors and whatnot viable for solo / casual LAN multiplayer. The changes you made actually make me feel excited to get a house and start outfitting it to support my character and my play style even if I'm playing alone, as opposed to just finding a decorative outlet for a situation when I have a ton of cash saved, but which I probably won't care about later on.

Also, the game has a *lot* of detail to it. Small things which add up to make a more immersive experience - lots of strange and weird-looking items you find, different kind of currency, all these things you have to rummage through (e.g. when you dig up a treasure chest) to find some things you can use directly and then to learn what you can do and what you should do best with the rest.

Treasure hunts are exciting, by the way. Very rewarding but also dangerous and requiring quite a bit of preparation. It's very much possible one would die on this journey to a chest guardian or get blown up with a trap, so extreme care should be taken. I like the fact that you don't absolutely need to either be a mage and have Unlock or to have high lockpicking to open those chests (and other stuff in dungeons) - skeleton keys and master skeleton keys can be purchased, albeit at a high price, so that you don't have to use a skill slot for picking locks unless you want to. Good choice! :)

I like how in taverns you can hire companions for traveling (henchmen). I haven't yet fully understood the usefulness of having them, I tried a Warrior henchman and he looked rather mediocre - not because he wasn't skilled enough (I know that his skills are based on my skills, so he should be about as skilled as I am, judging by the description), but mostly because of his gear - he has only the basic, non-magical gear on him, probably that's affecting how strong he is in combat situations that I'm normally tackling (in my experience he died pretty quickly both times even though I successfully lived through the encounter itself without much trouble). Not sure if maybe I'm missing or misunderstanding something about henchmen so far, I'll definitely try playing a little bit more with this feature, it sounds very fun and nice (I love the fact that henchmen have their own mounts btw, in case you're mounted). Maybe, now that I'm thinking about it, I should have given my henchman some potions to live through the encounter, not entirely sure.

One more thing I'm really loving so far is the way you integrated some of the Ultima lore into this game. All those references, characters in the castle in Britannia and in various other locations (who also give you quests and stuff) - these things make this game feel not only like a great and solid solo/multiplayer RPG, but also as an actual Ultima game. It has your own flavor, which is great, but it's definitely Ultima - it's almost like having a little bit "more of Ultima 7" for me (since the interface of classic UO and the overall feel is rather similar), with a more hardcore and "sandbox-ish" feel to it. Having some tunes from U7, U8, and Ultima Underworld also helps and brings back memories of those games I played so much in my childhood :) The game feels like an UO-like or U7-like Ultima roguelike/graphical MUD, and that's great, in my opinion.

Probably the only thing I can name that kind of threw me off is the en masse presence of elephants in Sosaria, but hey... after a short while, I thought - why not? :) They weren't in the original games, but it doesn't mean they can't be present on one of the multiple shards of the Ultima world. Moreover, they make pretty good targets for weapon skill practice once you're good and strong enough to take them on.

Overall, a wonderful experience - 10/10 from me by all means and standards! :)
I just wish more people understood the value in releasing a custom-made server to the public, especially if a shard is closing forever - you know, there are people who run popular servers for a long time and then shut them down and abandon them without any trace, turning them into a mere forgotten memory :/

Thanks a lot again, Djeryv, and thanks for all the follow-up minor updates and fixes to the server! Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wanderer

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Wow, that is a nice write up there. I can only assume that your play style probably mimics others that like this game...casual. There was a comment by one disgruntled player that was basically a power-gamer playing hours and hours every day. They made a comment that me and my friends must suck at UO because this server was not difficult enough for them. This server was purposely designed for the casual, single-player environment...or a very low population server if ran online. When you read forums of other shards, sometimes these players play UO on a level totally foreign to me. They talk about the exact skills for the best results, or talk about how some character "template" gives you 2.24% better damage with maces. I just never cared enough about that detail. I will have a story-driven character idea and take those skills no matter if it is the most efficient or not. I don't use the word "template", I use the phrase "character class". I want to play a thief, warrior, monk, or bard. I sometimes trade armor and/or clothing items, for those of slightly lesser quality, just because it looks cool on my character.
I guess they can be potential targets for murderer type characters too
No...you can't attack the random adventurers in town. They just provide atmosphere and sometimes clues...like one may mention where they saw Exodus last (for example) or they will mention one of your characters being spotted in Doom or that one of your characters killed an ancient lich.
I really like how you made the normally multiplayer-only MMORPG elements such as housing and player vendors and whatnot viable for solo / casual LAN multiplayer.
Well, player vendors do you no good in a single player environment...unless you roleplay to the point where another one of your characters buys stuff from another. But I understand your point...with merchant crates and shoppes you can make money as a crafter with no other players online...plus the added benefit of fixing/making things for your other characters. I also have the merchant bulletin board that tells low population servers where your house is that has vendors in it.
I like how in taverns you can hire companions for traveling (henchmen). I haven't yet fully understood the usefulness of having them, I tried a Warrior henchman and he looked rather mediocre - not because he wasn't skilled enough (I know that his skills are based on my skills, so he should be about as skilled as I am, judging by the description), but mostly because of his gear - he has only the basic, non-magical gear on him
Their gear is always mediocre because that isn't want makes the henchman really function. Clothing is just cosmetic. Really, there are two goals with the henchman system. One, it provide a Baldur's Gate-ish feel to the game where you have a party of adventurers. The second is that it helps for solo play so tamers don't get to have all of the fun. If you don't like the appearance of the henchman, give it to the tavern keeper and they will give you a different appearance one.
Maybe, now that I'm thinking about it, I should have given my henchman some potions to live through the encounter, not entirely sure.
I tried to make them survivable members of a party, so potions and bandages can help them survive longer...especially since their armor/clothing/weapons have very little affect on their overall effectiveness (remember, it is more cosmetic).
One more thing I'm really loving so far is the way you integrated some of the Ultima lore into this game. All those references, characters in the castle in Britannia and in various other locations (who also give you quests and stuff) - these things make this game feel not only like a great and solid solo/multiplayer RPG, but also as an actual Ultima game.
I understand that in MMORPG design, the UO developers would integrate lore into the world that fits a play-sandbox with hundreds or thousands of players so it comes across as such. I also didn't like the design choices they made with certain lore integration...like Castle Exodus in Ilshenar, or how they handled the Stygian Abyss lore. I did put forth alot of effort to strike a balance between single/multi player for these types of quests and much of it is what is called "end game" content. You can defeat the shadowlords and create a gem of immortality. You can defeat the titans of four elements and become a titan of ether yourself. You can also obtain the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom from the void and use it yourself. In the example of the Codex, it doesn't follow the use as it was portrayed in Ultima games...but that is because this is a game and I wanted your character to have a use for the book that provides something to the character.
Probably the only thing I can name that kind of threw me off is the en masse presence of elephants in Sosaria, but hey... after a short while, I thought - why not? :) They weren't in the original games, but it doesn't mean they can't be present on one of the multiple shards of the Ultima world. Moreover, they make pretty good targets for weapon skill practice once you're good and strong enough to take them on.
Someone else made this comment, and I will tell you that "this" is your server now so if you really have an issue with it, edit the spawn files and reduce/remove them. They do provide a service in game, however, because if you are lucky enough to get ivory for them it sells well. Also, you will have mastadons and mammoths in other lands...but they provide a means to have a giant pack animal if you can tame them.
I just wish more people understood the value in releasing a custom-made server to the public, especially if a shard is closing forever - you know, there are people who run popular servers for a long time and then shut them down and abandon them without any trace, turning them into a mere forgotten memory
Well, this was never a public-ran server package. It was always a multiplayer adventure game...but your point is the same and I have made it myself about the cut-and-run shards that fall.

Gadget2013

Jun 13, 2014
Thanks a lot for the reply, Djeryv! :) And thanks a lot for clarifying some of the finer points, very nice to know! Yeah, I meant specifically the merchant crates and stuff that function kind of similar to player vendors but that allow you to gain some money in an offline environment.

And yep, I know exactly what you mean - my playstyle is actually exactly the same, and I'm in no way a min-max kind of "power gamer" who would care about statistics to the extent as to maximize damage and whatnot. I prefer a more laidback and casual adventure/RPG style, focusing more on the process and the gameplay rather than stats and stuff.

Yeah, it's nice that I can tweak the server when necessary, spawns and all, but actually, I don't feel the necessity to do so thus far - and I like the elephants :) (oh, nice to know that ivory actually sells, the provisioner couldn't put a value on it, and I haven't yet found a vendor who would accept it, but I'll keep looking :))

And very nice to know about henchmen - indeed, I'll try again with potions and bandages and stuff :) (also, archers and wizards may be more suitable for me since I prefer to tank the majority of damage myself, would be nice if the henchmen will mostly stay back casting spells and shooting arrows)

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
And very nice to know about henchmen - indeed, I'll try again with potions and bandages and stuff :) (also, archers and wizards may be more suitable for me since I prefer to tank the majority of damage myself, would be nice if the henchmen will mostly stay back casting spells and shooting arrows)
Spoiler...provisioners buy them...but...there is a twist with that.

I wanted a world environment where it feels like vendors sometimes have stuff...and sometimes don't --or-- sometimes buy stuff...and sometimes don't. This should mix up every couple of hours of server uptime where what they buy/sell will change. So it kinda simulates a fake economy where you may make a bunch of leather armor, but the Britain tanner doesn't want to buy it. So you either wait for them to buy it later...or you head to another town to see if that leather worker wants to buy it. This behavior, for me, does work as I will get on a horse and journey to a close by town to try and sell my stuff they didn't buy in Britain...if I am eager to sell it.

Gadget2013

Jun 13, 2014
Ah, indeed, I noticed that the vendors sometimes buy and sell certain things but not certain other things, I actually like this twist a lot :) It works very well and simulates a kind of economy, and also encourages traveling.

Wanderer

Apr 18, 2019
That's what I'm trying to balance for my shard right now. The merchants were a little *too* stringent with what they would buy and when. I was able to increase the amount of goods and the frequency at which they buy items, although the price of some really nice gear defaults to their baseitem value :p . So to remedy that, I decreased the amount of gold dropped in an attempt to balance the economy. I am going through the scripts now and balancing the price for some way overpriced items. All in all, traveling the dungeons in search for treasure is fun and profitable, but not unrealistically so :)

Gadget2013

Jun 13, 2014
I have a quick question about a game mechanic if you don't mind :)
In the bank there are two containers marked "Donation Boxes" or something like that, with the indication on them stating that they're emptied every 24 hours. I tried using them as a "trash can" of sorts to get rid of stuff I don't need, placed some low level random junk in there hoping it'd eventually disappear (in the very beginning of my playthrough, about a week and a half ago or so, and I've been playing daily since then for about 3-4 hours every day), and the stuff I put inside is still there. :) Is it really meant to empty out every 24 hours or so? It doesn't empty every day as in "you start the server next day and it empties", and it doesn't look like it empties after 24 consecutive hours played in the game (I'm pretty sure I played more than that, though I can't be totally sure). It's not critical at all for me, but I'm still curious how exactly this is meant to work :) Maybe it only empties itself out if the server is running continuously for 24 hours or something like that? Thanks in advance for the reply :)

Btw, otherwise, a really enjoyable and smooth experience thus far, haven't come across any issues or broken mechanics or anything :)

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
I think the server needs to be up for 24 hours for it to empty...but...that is really meant for multiplayer servers anyway. I never touch it in a single player game.

Gadget2013

Jun 13, 2014
Gotcha! I see there's also a "trash barrel" next to it, that one seems to empty a lot sooner judging by the code :) Thanks for your response!

Sammyknight543

Aug 16, 2017
Hey man great shard! I was wondering if you could help me turn Mark and Recall on for all areas and dungeons, running everywhere is just too time consuming for my play style. Thanks brother!

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Hey man great shard! I was wondering if you could help me turn Mark and Recall on for all areas and dungeons, running everywhere is just too time consuming for my play style. Thanks brother!
Look in GetMyWorld.cs and then for RegionAllowedTeleport. Be careful though, you can break the Bard's Tale quest here...along with perhaps causing weird issues while playing (marking rune in taverns will have strange results).
Post automatically merged:

Attached is a toned down Spirit Speak skill file. I found that I could use it to heal even when I was poisoned, which it was not my intent to ruin poisons or belittle the healing skill/spells/potions. So the healing has been reduced a bit, the mana slightly increased, and you won't be able to do this while poisoned.

Attachments