Resource icon

Ultima Odyssey 2019-03-12

No permission to download

Joshua

Sep 13, 2014
Bountiful, Utah
Shard Name
My Own Shard
I found a small trivial way to gain interest but it wasn't normal. A few friends of mine had the same mind set and said, what do i do.. (i expected better from them.. lol) so i tried an experiement. I dropped in my level system and made the requirements to level up really really hard as to also expand on a goal system. Then they played. Didn't hurt the over all balance since its so hard to gain anything from it but being something tangible to reach for, i think helps the newer group of gamers.

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
This is some amazing work. I really like the itemid and armslore changes. It's reminiscent of playing old UO and exciting. I put it up for some friends to play, but sadly people these days are too freakin' lazy to read or learn how things work. I don't get the point of playing a game and expecting everything to be handed to you, or expect someone else to tell you how it works. Ok, done ranting. Love this package.
Some of this revolves around the age group...and/or...how spoiled games made us. So for example, I couldn't bring myself to play Bard's Tale again and grind on 100 orcs and 100 conjurers with my graph paper and pencil. I just can't. My kids aren't used to reading things in game on purpose...but have only really played games that either showed you many things or little glowing warnings would appear over stuff.

Also, people that did play UO for years (and don't read my warnings) try to play this like they did UO and they miss alot of stuff. If they were to read my warnings, it would explicitly state these things like there is no wiki and everything should be learnable in game...but I have friends who pass up books they find in dungeon chests that would have told them where a dungeon was or something like that. Then they would complain that stuff is "hidden" or treated like some kind of "easter egg" when it really isn't. So if they don't play this like an adventure game...they'll miss out on alot of things in the game.

I have a friend who plays mages all of the time. They make a mage or mage/archer and just get gold and go to dungeons. That's it. I would ask them things like "did you ever go to the Underworld?" or "did you ever fight the Shadowlords?" and they would look at me and say, "I don't know that that is". I mean, the game lends itself to play exactly as he is playing it...don't get me wrong...but they can complain that they can only GM 10 skills when if they read an in game book they might find out about the Titans of Ether and how they can get more skill points for their characters. Sometimes Hooked on Phonics doesn't work for them.

Reactions: TheDoc

TheDoc

Jun 16, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Shard Name
MAGA
Donate
Donate money to this user
Yeah that's the problem. I've told them they have to keep their eyes peeled and pay attention. I think a lot of it is also the damage done by so many years of overpowered custom shards where you walk through with a pet that stomps everything and sit back and eat your Hot Pocket.

Joshua

Sep 13, 2014
Bountiful, Utah
Shard Name
My Own Shard
Yeah that's the problem. I've told them they have to keep their eyes peeled and pay attention. I think a lot of it is also the damage done by so many years of overpowered custom shards where you walk through with a pet that stomps everything and sit back and eat your Hot Pocket.
To attract the players that have been accustomed to the current trend of overpowered shards, something needs to be given. No one can quit something cold turkey (unless you are that awesome),

TheDoc

Jun 16, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Shard Name
MAGA
Donate
I scripted in grime-encrusted objects, the Sparklematic 5200, and sparklematic-wrapped boxes from WoW. Maybe that will float their boat.

Outsider

Jun 14, 2019
Hello, im new to UO in general. I started playing in a shard but also wanted to play alone, so i searched how to make my own and i found this. I downloaded it and followed all the steps, but once i run runUO.exe it get stuck in "Cleanup: Detected 532 inaccessible items, removing.." and thats it. I closed it several times, same thing. I tried run it as administrator, same thing. Im missing something? Thanks in advance.

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
This would be a little bit of an involving addition, but it is available to download below and the original package was updated a few minutes ago.

During the course of the game, I added what I call sub-classes in the spirit of old D&D games. One of them is the Death Knight and the other is the Priest. This week I added a Monk to my game so I thought I would share it here. For those that hadn't pursued any such route, sub-classes take a couple of skills and adds some role-playing behavioral functionality in order to achieve a particular fantasy-flavor result. So where chivalry is usually associated with good knights, I morphed an alternate route where you can be evil with a chivalry skill and thus have your own set of special spells and abilities that give you an anti-paladin character option. So now there are 3 as previously listed: Death Knight, Priest, and Monk. To pursue each one, they have a quest-style commonality where you have to search the world for your new abilities and discover the secrets of the sub-class. Many people don't mess with the sub-classes, perhaps because they don't know that they exist.

DOWNLOAD

In order to make this a part of the game, I couldn't do any handy drag-and-drop option because the new Monk sub-class is totally integrated into the game. This mean there is extra help menu options, spell bars, and some other elements to make it completely part of the game. During this pursuit, I sadly found some more map errors that bug the shit out of me. I used the T2A map and moved it to the TerMur map and made it the Savaged Empire. I think the T2A map is the most carelessly done map by OSI/EA as it just seems rushed and the mountains don't peak smoothly and everything looks jagged. I spent many years tweaking that map as things annoyed me, and I found a few more so I fixed them recently.

I also tweaked/changed some other files so you will have to determine if you can simply overwrite them...or if you changed your version then maybe you will have to compare the 2. If you only changed a file or two in your game...you may just want to download the main package and copy your SAVES over. That is all up to you at this point. Each file changed has a brief reason given in the download's readme file. One kinda-major change is the balrons and daemons were changed to be like the dragons and wyrms...so you have a bunch of various types of such creatures and it depends where they spawn at. They have their own colors, themes, and special attacks. Like the dragons, it just adds diversity.

So everything I am rambling about is in the zip file. Use it if you want.

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
I had a crash today in regards to this file, as I think it failed to produce an artifact so I tweaked it in an attempt to fix it.

Attachments

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

You would have to find the IsEnemy function because notoriety.cs doesn't have much impact on that.

TheDoc

Jun 16, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Shard Name
MAGA
Donate
Oh I love getting attacked myself. This is for some special people :p Thanks for the answer. Found it. Something told me it wasn't notoriety. Haven't messed with criminal stuff in quite some time.

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
13749I finally got my "Sword & Sorcery" play style working the way I want. I currently had "Evil" and "Oriental" play styles in the game, but this one I didn't know how to do until a couple of days ago. Play styles are cosmetic options for players, so playing the oriental style produces treasure in that theme. Evil play styles do something similar, where you would find a "dark sword of evil" instead of a "magical sword of might" with color themes to match. Both have some skill titles changes on the particular play style, so a mage title (when playing in the oriental play style) would be "Wu Jen" (this is just one example).

My new style is actually called "Barbaric" in the game and it allows me to have a character like I am showing below. Again, these are simply cosmetic options. This one allows me to have the "bare chested" Conan warriors or the "scantily clad" amazons like you would see in stories like Conan, Red Sonja, or John Carter.

The problem I faced was "equipment". This game has a bunch of equipment slot/options that to play such a cosmetic character would have some of those items as unusable because robes would cover your entire character (for example). It is hard to find a really cool robe and "not" wear it if it provides 15% damage increase and night sight. So now I can wear those items that would normally cover up the entire body and it places them on the lower right/left of the paperdoll window. There is also a helm option that doesn't appear on the head. I then have the titles morphed if this play style is selected, so you can see I am a grandmaster amazon where I have other title differences like beastmaster, warlord, barbarian, chieftain, shaman, witch doctor, medicine main, or defender. Once you pick the style of gameplay, a barbaric satchel appears in your pack (it will disappear if you turn off this style). It doesn't store anything, but dropping some of this equipment on it will change it to the sword and sorcery style. It also renames it to something like "Barbaric Metal Shield" or "Leather Sandals of Hyboria". It turned out pretty good.

Gadget2013

Jun 13, 2014
Hehe, sounds like a fun playstyle to try! Is it already available in the updated download, Djeryv?

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Yes, whenever I bring stuff like this up I already have the main download updated with how my latest games go. You can copy your saved game to a new download but keep a few things in mind:

- This is a client change with new gumps and items to accommodate this sword and sorcery system.
- This has the new balrons and daemons so when you boot up your game after this, it will ask you to delete the current ones...so say yes each time. If I remember correctly, it crashes after each deletion so don't panic when it does.
- When traveling the world, you may run into a portal that opens and a daemon or balron will step out of it.
- There is a new option/window to show a smaller window with your character's skills they are working on.
- There are perhaps crystals you can find with trapped daemons that you could free and they will be your follower.
- This has the monk subclass option in it, as previously discussed in this thread.
- Bags are now partial hue.
- You can now try to identify stuff by double clicking it, instead of using the skill and then selecting the item. The item also doesn't need to be in your pack so you can do this on stuff in treasure chests or corpses...but this can be turned off in Difficulty.cs if you don't want the option.
- There are now 3 music options in the client; classic, modern, and alternate (see the readme). "Classic" is the retro style music, where "Modern" is newer Ultima style music. "Alternate" is music I compiled from other games.

The options that the sword and sorcery system provide are too good to just leave for that play style. "Barbaric Satchels" are used to convert the items, and those that play in this style get their own such satchel so they can convert items at any time. But I also decided to put these satchels in banks, taverns, inns, and other public areas so anyone can convert an item if they wish. This allows one to play a character that wants to just show off their suit of platemail (for example) and not have it covered up by a robe. So with these changes, make sure you do a [buildworld when you get the server started.

Reactions: Gadget2013

Gadget2013

Jun 13, 2014
Thanks a lot for the heads-up! :) Very fun changes, I'll update my copy of the game today :)
Just to make sure, I can use [buildworld safely without worrying about my stuff or my characters disappearing if I have a long-going game in progress, right?

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
If anyone just redownloaded my version from the other day, I noticed that monks could escape Skara Brae with their astral travel ability (as well as recall where other classes cannot). I also noticed that those playing in the barbaric style would have their skill titles overwrite with non-barbaric titles if they were a female mage. Both of these files resolve those issues.
Post automatically merged:

First of all...ugh! I had a typo in this script I just posted. Here is the "real" fix.

Second...when and why can't we edit our fricken posts...especially mere minutes after making them? Is there something that was totally ruining the culture here because of edited posts?
Post automatically merged:

And now it merged my posts so you don't know with GetMyWorld.cs to use. Great!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshua