Ultima Odyssey

Ultima Odyssey 2020-06-23

No permission to download

CaptMyron

Citizen
Yes you can run UO on Mac, by using this open source client implementation:

Here is a instruction to connect to OutLands:
Thx, Birdinforest. I might actually have a bigger challenge. Correct me if I’m wrong D, but it would make sense if the Odyssey client is customized to the point where getting it to run on a Mac (let alone these new ones with the non-Intel chip) will be super challenging. Boot camp is out and I also looked into Crossover (WINE-solution) and Parallels It seems all are unable to work well (if at all) with the M1s. I’m sure this will change over time.

Djeryv

Squire
Both CLIENT and SERVER updated today. The client was only updated because circlets would not appear on the paperdoll gump so now they do.

- Fixed circlets so the gumps appear on the character's head
- Fixed a lumberjack town character that was trying to fish
- Better fixes for Frankenstein giant autopsy exploit
- Fixed diseased mummy special attacks that could cause crashes
- Fixed sea snakes so they could swim
- Fixed the priest Enchant spell
- Fixed the priest Hammer of Faith spell

Whiplash88

Citizen
Thanks so much for continuing to update this package and adding to it! Is there anyway we can support you in anyway? Would love to donate in some way as this rekindled the same feelings as when I first started UO!

Djeryv

Squire
Nothing in return needed or required. It is simply a game I made for myself and decided to let others download it. There is a small sub-section of ex-UO players that really just liked the open sandbox aspect of the game but emulators usually come canned with a sterile environment of doors, signs, and vendors. Ultima Odyssey is simply a single/multi player adventure game using the UO engine where I expanded on what it could do and provided a unique map to play on as opposed to Britannia.

Although I mention older 70's and 80's pencil and paper RPGs as inspiration...I sometime fail to note the electronic inspirations past Ultima Online and the Ultima franchise in general. The first was the Wyvern mud from ages ago where you could traverse a large world and explore and gather treasure.

Wyvern_screenshot.png

The other is the Crossfire RPG that is still developed but is basically a Linux only game if you want the latest version of the client that is.

crossfire_gtkclient.png

These two examples of games really helped motivate me. Crossfire is a neat idea but again you have to run the server on Linux and the client on Linux for the best experience. There is a Windows client but I didn't like it as much. The graphics are a bit worse than if they had a consistent artist that perhaps would use a tileset similar to Ultima V. The Wyvern mud was something that reminded me how a fun game could just vanish. Where you play for hours and hours and then the author takes it down and reduces the game to an iPhone app. It just isn't the same.

If I succeeded at providing similar experiences with Odyssey, then I reached one of my goals. A huge world to explore like Crossfire and Wyvern, but provide you with your own copy so it doesn't vanish off the face of the planet like Wyvern did. I also have to give a huge shout out to the ClassicUO client, as it breathed new life into Odyssey and makes it feel like a modern game while still using the graphics and music that we find appealing.

Whiplash88

Citizen
Well thank you very much for continuing development! If you do ever decide to change your mind in terms of monetary support I will eagerly jump on board!

I grew up playing NetHack myself and did check out the new Wyvern because that looks like a very interesting take on a modern old-school MUD but I agree it didn't feel the same especially with the focus on mobile. But, when I first started up Odyssey it was an amazing experience that rekindled a lot of fond memories for me that reminded me of my first forays through NetHack and then my adventures into Ultima Online when I was only in primary school at the time!

I love the feeling of adventure especially when I discovered Skara accidentally after being teleported off from a 'simple' hunting quest. I think your work really serves to modernize both the UO and modern MUD experience and really hope you continue to work on it if IRL permits. I was so excited to discover this that I quickly told a lot of my old UO buddies that were looking for a spiritual successor to the Ultima series which I 100% think this is! I imagine this will be an experience I hope to save and later share with my children when they grow up as a 'modern' introduction to some of the fond experiences I got to enjoy so thank you once again for all of your amazing hard work!

MikeGGGames

Citizen
Hey, all. I'm having some of the best gaming sessions ever with this mod, just want to get that out of the way. This project is hitting all the right notes for me and my friends.

When playing I am able to see the entire world map (including the dungeons) and it's all "revealed" so to speak. I'm worried my server + our clients are running some kind of admin cheats since we are able to see the layout of a dungeon before exploring it! This also makes finding world maps rather useless (unless I am missing something, which is completely possible). Just wondering if I did everything correctly and I don't have any references since I haven't really played UO before.

Iolo

Citizen
Hello, I downloaded the ultima odyssey and started playing, but there is something bothering me
sometimes I am not able to close some health bar from enemies that are out of screen even clicking with right mouse button.
It is a long time o dont play UO, so I might be missing something with this new client.
Anyone could help?

Hello, I downloaded the ultima odyssey and started playing, but there is something bothering me
sometimes I am not able to close some health bar from enemies that are out of screen even clicking with right mouse button.
It is a long time o dont play UO, so I might be missing something with this new client.
Anyone could help?
1609916363600.png
It's possible you are using ClassicUO and have the "Hold ALT key + right click to close Anchored gumps" setting enabled.

Djeryv

Squire
When playing I am able to see the entire world map (including the dungeons) and it's all "revealed" so to speak. I'm worried my server + our clients are running some kind of admin cheats since we are able to see the layout of a dungeon before exploring it!
Nothing wrong. It is just the nature of the client. Years ago when UO AutoMap came out it was considered cheating because of what it could do. The client lets you do what it lets you do.
Anyone could help?
Wrong forum. You should either go to the ClassicUO client GitHub and report a bug or go to their Discord channel.

brian456

Citizen
I am having an issue with my character. Every time he loads into a new map, all of his skills reset to 0. I thought it was a new curse I hadn't seen, but I am not sure. To test, I logged in with the Wizard account and gave my toon his skills back, but the same thing happens when ever I go to a new map. Is this a bug or a feature?

Jones

Citizen
I am having an issue with my character. Every time he loads into a new map, all of his skills reset to 0. I thought it was a new curse I hadn't seen, but I am not sure. To test, I logged in with the Wizard account and gave my toon his skills back, but the same thing happens when ever I go to a new map. Is this a bug or a feature?
I imagine you used the [setallskills 120 command or something as admin i also did this before and experienced exactly what you say the skills reset on transition. If you want skills to stay try using [props and target player then it "should" stay set

brian456

Citizen
I imagine you used the [setallskills 120 command or something as admin i also did this before and experienced exactly what you say the skills reset on transition. If you want skills to stay try using [props and target player then it "should" stay set
I actually didn’t use [setallskills but I did use [props on my toon to raise her str up a tiny bit. And when I reset my skills after they kept dropping, i continued to use [props and I only raised the skills to what they originally were. Did I bumped into some anti-cheat thing?

Djeryv

Squire
What are your character’s raw stats and combined raw skill total. Raw means not enhanced by items.

brian456

Citizen
Before the change, my stats were STR 69 DEX 39 INT 32. I raised my STR to 80 so that would put the total to 151. I do not have any gear that raises those stats.

Djeryv

Squire
Before the change, my stats were STR 69 DEX 39 INT 32. I raised my STR to 80 so that would put the total to 151. I do not have any gear that raises those stats.
What is your raw skill total? Also, which game path did you pick from the Time Lord's chamber? Did you go to the Savaged Empire? Did you choose an alien? Did you choose a Fugitive?

brian456

Citizen
What is your raw skill total? Also, which game path did you pick from the Time Lord's chamber? Did you go to the Savaged Empire? Did you choose an alien? Did you choose a Fugitive?
My bad, I read raw stat and you asked for raw skill total. Currently it’s at 875.5 with the show real button enabled. As for the Time Lord path, I chose the standard path and just went through the Brit gate.

brian456

Citizen
I’m sure this has something to do with me messing with my character. I have was fortunate enough to have a backup of my save file to right before I ran [props, so I have already reverted back to that and my toon is working just fine. I honestly thought that my skills zero’d out because I had stumbled onto a new super awful trap that I hadn’t discovered yet (please don’t implement that trap).

The only other thing I can think of was that I just updated my Odyssey and Game files right before I started playing. The last time I updated was probably back in October which was also when I last played. So it could have something to do with that as well. I don’t know.

Thanks for the help anyways. Keep up the great work and thanks for this mod :)

AllisonUO

Citizen
Ok REAL Noob here, also old and impatient!
I just downloaded the UO Odyssey file and unzipped it.
I followed the instructions and go to the point where I am to connect to the UO Classic Client (I downloaded all the files from the link to update the client). Now when I click on the UO Classic Client and try logging as Wizard and admin I receive a message that says "Check your internet connection and try again". I guess my client is not communicating with my server? Any help would be appreciated!

Jones

Citizen
Ok REAL Noob here, also old and impatient!
I just downloaded the UO Odyssey file and unzipped it.
I followed the instructions and go to the point where I am to connect to the UO Classic Client (I downloaded all the files from the link to update the client). Now when I click on the UO Classic Client and try logging as Wizard and admin I receive a message that says "Check your internet connection and try again". I guess my client is not communicating with my server? Any help would be appreciated!
you should have 2 folders game and odyssey you need to run exe in odyssey folder to launch server then run client in game folder to connect ot it

CaptMyron

Citizen
So were shadows added to the world in a recent update? Or maybe I'm just noticing - I am OLD LOL Seriously, it feels like I have shadows popping up/drawing in (esp. in jungles) as I traverse the world now.