Ultima Odyssey

Ultima Odyssey 2020-06-23

No permission to download

Djeryv

Squire
Just working on a dynamic minimum taming skill algorithm in basecreature and noticed that tames spawned in dungeons go through BeefUp. I looked at Animaltaming.cs and didn't find a method to "beefdown" the creature ontame. In other words, taming a pet in a deadly dungeon yields a better pet than in a hard dungeon.
This is both by design and a "design flaw". I wanted monsters to be stronger in harder dungeons and tamers to get those stronger creatures...but...I forgot to do a MinTameSkill beefup in the script. I updated the server package today to add to the MinTameSkill based on dungeon difficulty. I thought I already did this...but I must have only thought about it and never done it.

Finaltwist

Squire
This is both by design and a "design flaw". I wanted monsters to be stronger in harder dungeons and tamers to get those stronger creatures...but...I forgot to do a MinTameSkill beefup in the script. I updated the server package today to add to the MinTameSkill based on dungeon difficulty. I thought I already did this...but I must have only thought about it and never done it.
sounds good - im taking a different approach - i've implemented a dynamic karma/fame algorithm in onafterspawn that calculates every mob's fame based on its actual difficulty (takes into account stats/hp/AI/breath/poison/healing/etc etc). i'm using this system to determine the mintameskill too. makes the system much more fluid and gets rid of arbitrary tameskill values and bases them on actual difficulty of the mob.

happy to share the code, took quite a few hours to get the algo to a point that feel right. note: dragons at 93 and primevals at 99 isn't balanced - primevals should be much higher based on their stats and strengths.

Djeryv

Squire
sounds good - im taking a different approach - i've implemented a dynamic karma/fame algorithm in onafterspawn that calculates every mob's fame based on its actual difficulty (takes into account stats/hp/AI/breath/poison/healing/etc etc). i'm using this system to determine the mintameskill too. makes the system much more fluid and gets rid of arbitrary tameskill values and bases them on actual difficulty of the mob.

happy to share the code, took quite a few hours to get the algo to a point that feel right. note: dragons at 93 and primevals at 99 isn't balanced - primevals should be much higher based on their stats and strengths.
You are right about the primevals. I need to change that.

Finaltwist

Squire
i changed them to 4 slots too, and had the algo level them around 110. (it uses a diminishing returns system to determine taming skill required)

Djeryv

Squire
Just a small server update where primeval dragons have their taming requirements increased as well as the previous mentioned taming difficulty (by dungeon level) fix.

The barbarian satchel will now give an option to convert a robe to a shoulder or cross belt...which is basically a sash. It was something I implemented because anything like a robe (outer torso) wants to hide something like your plate armor or leather chest pieces. So if you want your character to show off their armor, and you find a cool robe you want to keep, you can use that satchel to change it to something that goes in the middle torso slot instead.

Hey @Djeryv, are you still offering this game out totally open? I was thinking of hosting a UO Odyssey server, and will definitely give all credit, but didn't want to step on toes. Please let me know? Or hit me up and we can talk details? Thanks.

Nicodemus

Citizen
Hi @Djeryv.

I have a problem that I hope you can help me with, but first I want to say thank you for sharing the world you created. You really didn't have to, and most wouldn't do that. I can tell you put a lot of work into it, and I appreciate the great detail in everything. It really is wonderful, and I’m enjoying it.

I downloaded Odyssey from here a few days ago, so I’m pretty sure it is the latest version. The issue I am having is that occasionally when the world saves, there will be a lot of spam generated (hundreds of lines, I can't tell) about an action causing an inconsistent state after attempting to add different items. It then says it is strongly advised that the offending scripts be corrected. Most of the world save errors all seem to be related to mobiles. It doesn't do this every time, only occasionally like I said. A couple of times while doing this though, the server crashed and attempted to restart, and then finally after one crash it would never start again and just had some errors while loading. I tried loading the server using some of the backups, but only the earliest one would work, and I would have lost a lot of work (time played) done after that time. I also tried doing it on another computer with the same results. So I just used a fresh unzip of the server and moved it to a different computer and started everything again new, attempting to keep the server and client on separate machines to see if it made any difference. I did transfer the skills to the new character as closely as possible along with the gold I had earned at that point, but considered the rest of the items and other stuff as a loss. I hated to do this because I really want to play and earn everything honestly by exploring and living in the world, experiencing everything as intended.

While this doesn't seem to affect game play other than when it crashes as far as I can tell, I'm still fearful that it could possibly cause issues with the server that I’m not aware of or that it will crash on me again and not want to restart. I have started saving my own backups as well. I am beginning to think if that continues to happen and I lose everything again I will likely get to a point of frustration and just make a maxed out character to explore with, but I know most of the enjoyment would be gone if I do that.

Is this something anyone else has had trouble with?

An image of the errors can be seen below. The computer I moved the server to is an old laptop, so that may have affected the save time. It was typically around .6 seconds, but now it is double that, but not an issue for me. I also attached a world save errors log.

Also, one other thing I want to mention here while I’m at it, I occasionally come across an NPC corpse. Is this intended? I ask because it seems odd. I always assume they could have been killed by a monster, but I think combat normally doesn't happen between them unless the player is nearby. I hope these aren't important NPCs, but the only real trouble I notice is that they usually have a ton of loot on them, including powerful things that I don't think I am supposed to be able to acquire that easily.

Thanks for everything. I hope I explained all of it well enough. If I missed any important details let me know.

1604045693649.png

Attachments

• world-save-errors.txt
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Djeryv

Squire
I would only see such errors if I forced a save myself...either from the console or within the game with a [save command. It seems if I let the server do the save on its own, it never happens.

Not to ruin the magic of the game by giving you details on the mechanics...but those bodies, wagons, or dead pack horses you find are actually containers that randomly spawn in the land. If you find some really cool treasure...then you got lucky and you should feel lucky. Just because your new character finds a dead body in the woods with an artifact is something that is rare to happen but I welcome it. It is supposed to simulate some adventurer that was out exploring and met an unknown fate and you stumbled upon them.

Nicodemus

Citizen
Thanks for the reply.
I don't feel that any of the magic of the game was ruined with that explanation. Actually the opposite. If I kept feeling that I was finding loot I shouldn't be and gaining an unfair advantage in the game, then I would feel that some of the magic was ruined. Now I know it's all legitimate.

ubentobox

Citizen
Hey Djeryv,

I'm playing with a brand new copy of your client and server, but the quivers are opening up really small, and while I am able to interact with the contents and drag onto the quiver while matching contents are inside, I just wanted to check this was intended.
1604412958497.png
Post automatically merged:

MY GOD THIS IS THE MOST AWESOME-EST GAME EVER!!!! Gonna fanboy for a second here but damn Djeryv, you are good :) I have been playing RPGs (tabletop) since 1980 and CRPGs since 89 (The Bard's Tale on my TRS-80). UO was my first MMO love which your game has re-awakened LOL My buddy and I from high school re-connected during COVID and have been playing the crap out of Odyssey. We managed to follow the Clues (see what I did there) and have now managed to make it to both the Isle of Dread and, tonight...drum roll please...MADE IT TO LODOR! Thank you, thank you, thank you for this awesome experience.
Not going to lie, I have now completed the Skara Brae quest several times, it's my favorite way to guide a character through skilling up and leaving with some great equipment by the time I've completed it.

Last edited:

Djeryv

Squire
Hey Djeryv,

I'm playing with a brand new copy of your client and server, but the quivers are opening up really small, and while I am able to interact with the contents and drag onto the quiver while matching contents are inside, I just wanted to check this was intended.
View attachment 16957
It is intended as I hated the basket gump and you can only put one type of ammo in it anyway...but...I see when you don't have containers scaling it is a bit small. I will ponder on changing it a bit.

ubentobox

Citizen
It is intended as I hated the basket gump and you can only put one type of ammo in it anyway...but...I see when you don't have containers scaling it is a bit small. I will ponder on changing it a bit.
To be fair it makes sense as it's a single item container and really doesn't need to be THAT big for a single item stack. The issue I had a few updates back was I could not interact with the ammunition once placed inside as it fell outside the scaled down gump itself, but that is resolved.

It's in a good place as far as I am concerned ;)

CaptMyron

Citizen
Question about treasure maps. I finally got my cartography high enough to decipher map. I have attached two screenshots. Although the information about the map suggests it's in Sosaria, the only place I can find terrain that matches is in Lodor. So I travel to the place in Lodor where the pin indicates the treasure is and the coordinates are wrong. So then I try to use the coordinates but can't make heads or tails of how they work in this particular word (like I don't know where 0,0 is and as I move around the numbers don't make sense as they change). Can anyone offer any help? Thanks very much!

Attachments

• treasuremap.JPG
    treasuremap.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 7
  • mapopen.JPG
    mapopen.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 7

CaptMyron

Citizen
Sosaria. It also gave me map coordinates (as opposed to latitude and longitude) which I was able to use to find the treasure in Sosaria. The image depicted in the map was actually on the big island in Lodoria.
Post automatically merged:

Sosaria. It also gave me map coordinates (as opposed to latitude and longitude) which I was able to use to find the treasure in Sosaria. The image depicted in the map was actually on the big island in Lodoria.
PS forgot to mention again how awesome this game is. I have been playing RPGs since 1980 and CRPGs since 1990 (The Bard’s Tale). Nothing has captured my imagination (and time) like this for DECADES. On behalf of myself and one of my best friends from high school, thank you! We have so far discovered (in addition to Sosaria) the Isle of Dread and Lodor. It would seem we still have many lands to discover: Serpent Isle, The Savage Lands and Ambrosia. We have plumbed the depths of the dungeon Clues (and learned much, including how to get to Lodoria) but are now stymied in our efforts to discover the pathway to these other lands :)

Last edited:

Kurgan83

Citizen
Hello Djeryv, I hope you're fine!

I've explored a little bit, so I want to report what I've found that maybe need to be checked :

- Dungeon Destard - Dramulox Shadow Wyrm ( 5128, 847, Map.Lodor ) don't drop flame of Dramulox (as SummonCarriers.cs file) ?
- Mausoleum - Mezlo is unattainable ? Or maybe there's another way in that I have to find :)
- Dungeon Wrong - Shadow Fiends don't leave corpse ?
- Gypsie - don't reveal SOS bottle messages and treasure maps (I think because they are always true?)

I've a lot of treasure maps, maybe can help if there's to check [props parameters - ChestMap, DisplayMap or Map ?

Thank you again for your awesome work!

Djeryv

Squire
I have this fixed and will release it in a day or 2 as I have to finish up some map cosmetic updates. As for the other stuff...

- Dungeon Destard - Dramulox Shadow Wyrm ( 5128, 847, Map.Lodor ) don't drop flame of Dramulox (as SummonCarriers.cs file) ?
Fixed in the next update coming soon.
- Mausoleum - Mezlo is unattainable ? Or maybe there's another way in that I have to find
I found him just fine.
- Dungeon Wrong - Shadow Fiends don't leave corpse ?
This is correct...but I changed them for the next update to drop some loot.
- Gypsie - don't reveal SOS bottle messages and treasure maps (I think because they are always true?)
Gypsies don't care about maps or SOS messages. Only parchments and notes you find in boxes...as well as some other things.

Last edited:

Ravagna

Citizen
I have a question about gameplay, is it possible to play it without getting into crafting? Can I get good gear just from killing, vendors and quests?

Djeryv

Squire
I have a question about gameplay, is it possible to play it without getting into crafting? Can I get good gear just from killing, vendors and quests?
Yes...because crafting annoys the hell out of me. Me and and a close friend never craft really...although I have a couple of characters that dabble in it for the experience. To be fair, however, I tried to make crafting interesting and added some other systems for those that like to do that stuff.

You don't even need to worry about repairing weapons and armor because you can talk to the merchants in town and hire them to fix it for you.

During the adventure you will run into armor and weapons of a magical nature...but also made of special materials like valorite or serpent leather.

Last edited: