1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unused Stock Sound Effects (found with UO Fiddler)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Samuel Packham, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Samuel Packham

I am sure other people have noticed this when playing ultima online. There are footstep sound effects for different terrains when you open up the sounds using UO fiddler: wood, grass, and stone if I remember correctly. How come none of these work when actually playing the game? I think there there is only one type of footstep sound effect that works.

2. zerodowned

Moderator ServUO Developer

sounds like something that was added to the game files but never used by OSI. ( that happens a lot )

3. Samuel Packham

Thanks for the response. If anybody knows if footsteps can be edited server side let me know. I looked in PlayerMobile and Mobile and didn't see anything related to footsteps so it may be entirely client side.

If that's the case I am thinking of changing the default footstep sound with a muted file and then creating another script that plays footsteps while the player is moving over a particular tile. I want to see if anyone else has any other input first. Thanks all.

4. Rex

Rex Member

You could use part of the poisonous swamps script to figure out what kind of tile you are walking on to and then according to the tile type if it's grass or dirt play a random set of the four sounds or two sounds or whatever for each type of floor/sound.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rex

Rex Member

I'm actually pretty interested in seeing your results. :)

6. Samuel Packham

It's on the to-do list. It isn't vital to what I am doing, but it would really add some flavor to the game. If and when I do it I will definitely share my results here.

7. tass23

You could also use Xmlspawner to set sound effects for an area, even attach them to a player.

8. Po0ka

Po0ka Active Member

https://github.com/ZaneDubya/UltimaXNA/issues/382

Suggested it to ZaneDubya for UltimaXNA.
    Such sounds were surely made to be in the client, adding it to the serverside gives lesser benefits compared to the potential issues.

Good:
    -Plays the good sound.

Bad:
    -Packet spam (network) - we send (probably extra) packets to surrounding players, not just to one.
    -Processing when to play the sound (processing).
    -Detecting the surface, land or static (processing).

The situation would be entirely different on the clientside, less packets(?), surface can be detected locally, no extra processing on the server side.

9. Tukaram

Tukaram Active Member

I have been playing with XMLSpawner and like the sound attachment - but is there is list of sound id's? I have a body id list someone shared, but cannot find a sound id list.

10. tass23

The sound list you can find in Fiddler is pretty accurate, but the hex values are off, or at least they are for the client I'm using.

11. fwiffo

fwiffo Member

just for reference, I'm attaching my version of UOFiddler, modified for the correct sound listing as in runuo (I don't know how POL works, for what it matters), and with some fixes in cliloc and speech.mul elaboration (the later was broken on my side):

http://www.uoitalia.net/host/UOFiddler_UOItalia.7z

• Two Thumbs Up Two Thumbs Up x 1