ServUO Version
Publish Unknown
Ultima Expansion
Stygian Abyss
Hi everyone :)
I have finally done enough work on my project so that I can share it with everybody. UO-The Expanse: the (edu) Repack, coming in 2022.
UO-The Expanse was the free shard that I ran and developed on for over 6 years when it was live. I have used that code as a base for this project, because there are over 4,500 custom scripts added, plus hundreds of edits to give the 'shard a traditional UO-look, only expanded (I also re-designed many of the graphics, but included the original work in the creation process.
1f609.png
Only new graphics are related to custom content.) This is not a ServUO engine, but a hybrid that reaches back to RunUO 2.1 and I have included UO material through Stygian Abyss, up to client patch 7.0.12. The 'shard code will be stored and updated on Github and everything else will be available to download through UO-The Expanse's Mediafire account (I still plan to develop for my own version of UO-The Expanse, so fixes will get pushed to the Github repo for this repack, as they are handled).

The main focus is teaching, covering a wide variety of topics from things such as: working within a more restrictive color palette to handling quest mechanics. Part of my reason for selecting a free shard for this was because of the massive amount of resources available to work with. Combine that with an over two-decade old, but still active modding community we are part of and you have a pretty unique and strong setting to work in. I am including written How-To's, as well as in-game tutorials to teach these topics, many of which are still applicable in today's gaming industry.

Without being part of the free shard community, most people would probably have to attend some college-level courses to pick up this much information and we all know how expensive that kind of endeavor can be, so this will all be available for free, from me. Several others have committed to providing resources for this project and I am open to more material to include. If you have some tips/tricks you learned from "free shard work", send me a PM please. Everyone contributing will receive credit for their portion. :)

I am not "stocking" my 'shard. UO-The Expanse is *offline* with no end in sight to when that might change. Material submitted to me will go into this resource package and is not meant to be installed or used on my live version of UO-The Expanse. (Consider this like Darkshard+ 5.0 v2 :p, the free version)

TL: DR
I have a massive 'shard project for the community that includes tutorials in and out of game on material from learning gaming mechanics to working with UO's color palette and graphics. If you have anything to contribute to this project, send me a PM. This is *not* for a live 'shard and will be freely available to everyone.

Presenting...well....just watch the video clip ;)
(uoexpanse.com/uote_pub.php <--- for more info)

UO_te_fs_desktop_showcase_1.gif

Last edited:
So awesome to offer this to the community! I had been on the expanse in the past, so I can say everything was done so really great ! :)

So awesome to offer this to the community! I had been on the expanse in the past, so I can say everything was done so really great ! :)
Thank you, Mil! :D
You and Hammer have always been supportive and helpful! Always a pleasure with you two and I get to pass along what I learned from you both! :cool:

After I have learned from the community, the one thing that is important above the rest; there is no limit to how much any one of us can give back.
Darkshard offered a wonderful service to the community, for a very modest cost too. I do not have half the map material that DS provided, but I think there is more than enough content in other areas to compensate. *fingers crossed*

Looks amazing, and I'm glad you are willing to release this for everyone.

I really like this part.
The main focus is teaching, covering a wide variety of topics from things such as: working within a more restrictive color palette to handling quest mechanics. Part of my reason for selecting a free shard for this was because of the massive amount of resources available to work with. Combine that with an over two-decade old, but still active modding community we are part of and you have a pretty unique and strong setting to work in. I am including written How-To's, as well as in-game tutorials to teach these topics, many of which are still applicable in today's gaming industry.
It's true, the ground work you learn in C# with RunUO will give you ideas on how to do things else where. Even the very mentality of taking something difficult and learning how to break it down, step by step into a series of easily handled steps is a mental framework you can apply to your own life. Just something to think about. :)

Love the artwork tass, you've done such a fantastic job. Can't wait to see what new things I could learn when this gets released. Looking forward to this :)

Back