Gold Donator
Platinum Donator
Jun 16, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Shard Name
MAGA
Donate
Donate money to this user
I've developed for other shards, mostly UOPlayground, for years now and have ran a few many years ago when I was starting in c#.

It's also known that I have had a certain issue with the major shard that has ruined this community by buying out every vote site and almost anything related. The owner's blatant theft, cheating, botnet attacks, and most of all his claiming almost every script from the old RunUO and ServUO as his own custom creations in order to swindle unsuspecting players out of their money, as well as his theft from others and sending out cease and desist orders, or lawsuit threats led me to begin working on my own new shard with real "customs" nearly a year ago. The shard is still in development and I'm just posting this so players can see what I'm creating.

This will be a largely custom shard with no pay to win. I'll have something similar to the old token systems to buy high end items without cash or "overpowered pets of the month". Of course, I'm being threatened with a lawsuit for my uoevolutions.com domain name, but I will not change it.

This person has done great amounts of damage to the community and developers. He ruined runuo and he rips people off. Donations are understandable for server costs, but selling someone else's script items is not right.

I'm working on uoevolutions.com day and night still, it will be totally not pay to win and will use our OWN scripts. I look forward to anyone that would like to not have to pay for nice things in the future. The site will be changed. Someone made the current one, but we're using it to test and make changes to MyRunUO.

Doc

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
This is a generally "free" community so why you would insist on having a name similar to a shard you despise shouldn't be bothered with. You should just come up with a new name and get a new domain name to follow that. This drama you wrote about with legal issues doesn't seem worth it to be a right-fighter just to participate in a hobby.

On the flip side of that, I would love to read a legal transcript if this went to trial:

PLAINTIFF: "Your honor, my client feels that his trademark is being violated as some people went to play UO Evolutions instead of UO Evolution. This is costing my client earnings."

JUDGE: "I see your business is running an Ultima Online server. So you own the rights to the Ultima franchise, or they gave you permission to run this service?"

PLAINTIFF: "Well...no, but trademark!"

I did a search and found no such trademark registered to violate. In fact, any shard that has this logo is subject to being called out by the trademark owner at any time because they are violating a live trademark right now.

Again...that shouldn't matter because you should just think of a new name and move on so you don't get the reputation of being Evolution when you are not.

Also, can you quantify the "damage" UO Evolution did for the community? I am not saying they didn't...because from my vantage point...they have zero effect on what I have done here. The only thing that shards like this do for me is provide a punchline to jokes I make about pay to win situations.

To provide a criticism to your server, I went there this morning and saw two players online. These are the character and guild names. When I used to play in online servers, I would see names like this and it would be a big turn off. I like running around virtual fantasy worlds, and run into characters named Merlin or Conan. I would prefer to see guilds called "The Vampire Hunters" or "The Knights of the Order". Maybe you want to foster this type of community, but I sure as hell wouldn't.

TheDoc

Gold Donator
Platinum Donator
Jun 16, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Shard Name
MAGA
Donate
Edit - Read your post wrong. Yeah, it would be better to get a new name, however I can't afford even that little bit with school costs. I already owned that name and had it paid for years. The only other domain I own is fatchicks.net and I doubt that will draw players (I used to flip domains). The server is paid for 3 years. As far as the names you saw, those are test names while I test My RunUO code. They aren't players. That site is not my work and was prewritten so I'm using it to test the rewrite of MyRunUO instead of taking time to sit and write php.. anyways the site will be replaced as I want to have mostly original scripts and credit the people who write ones I did not, unlike this money server I talked about.

While I understand what you are getting at, this person has done a lot of people a lot of wrong so using the name doesn't bother me until I can pay for another. At the least this person shouldn't have claimed pubically that the copy/paste scripts and art are his. He's a known thief and is monopolizing the community to force people to his shard. Good research would show you the truth. I can fake 10,000 players with names on my shard easily with Knive's Chat mods and tcp connections/proper packets.

Thanks

Last edited:

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
I read your first post on my phone while I was travelling today. I was waiting to get home to reply. You are obviously very passionate about this issue and I was going to point out that you read my post in a way I did not intend. I am glad you read it over again because I could have easily wrote it poorly. You can't get tone through the written word, and that makes forums a place of misunderstandings at times.

Some of the things you mentioned before you edited the post, I really want to make clear to others. UO Evolution is using the logo and I was pointing out any irony of UO Evolution taking legal action against you when they are heavily violating it already. It would be like running a crack house but then calling the cops because someone robbed the crack house.

As for the names I seen, you stating they are test names was enough for me...and I thought that it explained enough of what I was seeing. Don't get me wrong, if you want that type of groups that have those humorous names...I am not trying to throw out there that I am some type of final authority on character or guild names. I was merely mentioning my preference when I enter someone's virtual fantasy world filled with knights, demons, and dragons.

I also read your other post about these "top sites" and I would be really curious if anyone puts stock into them anymore (seriously, any member here should interject and say that they do rely on them if they really do). I think people should take a lead from UO Outlands and how they handle their social media. They don't give a rat's ass about top sites and people challenge them on their population numbers all of the time. I don't care what these numbers claim to be. If I log into your world and see other players...that should be enough. If I log in and see no one...or I see a bunch of macroing bots around Luna bank...then I will call bullshit on the population and look elsewhere for a MMORPG experience. I never played UO Outlands, but I joined their Discord because I am interested in their new client. Discord helps get a good sense of the community because much of it is in real time and there is alot of chat going on there right now.

My "quantify" statement is a bit "much". I meant are their any examples of them harming the community? I did a Google search on the matter and found "comments", but nothing solid. Yes, I know you can fake numbers easily. You just need a simple script to show a bunch of numbers. Hell, I could write one that would make up random names of characters to boot. But if these top sites don't really matter much anymore...or the community doesn't let it matter anymore...then you take some of this misplaced power away. If they are indeed doing things like denial of service attacks on other shards...well...that is a gamble in 2019. These types of acts can be considered a terrorist attack under the vague umbrella on the matter, so anyone doing this is taking a huge chance just to be a top UO server.

TheDoc

Gold Donator
Platinum Donator
Jun 16, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Shard Name
MAGA
Donate
My total sincere apologies for speaking like a jerk, I come across the wrong way often. I had posted my FB site in a mass chat that I was unaware he was in, and as usual he started his crap. I have been angry because he's bought out most, if not all the vote sites, and runuo.com which had a wealth of information... now that's gone. He bought out joinuo from a friend and stole from him and threatened him with legal action like he loves to do to me. He sends cease and desists, threatens to sue etc. So when it comes to him I let the anger get the best of me because the community was way better for shard owners when the vote sites were legit. JoinUO was incredible to get players from. Thanks for your post and I apologize as well for my misreading. And yes, I will be changing the name because it's not worth the trouble. I just want to put an aweome shard out that doesn't force donations. Donations are good for keeping the server up, but he's using them to take over the whole scene. Peace!

X

xG00BERx

Fuck UOEvolution...
Good luck with UO Evolutions if you feel it's a good idea to use the name...

that is all :) have a nice day.

TheDoc

Gold Donator
Platinum Donator
Jun 16, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Shard Name
MAGA
Donate
Much appreciated. And I agree 100%
I have a server paid 3 years with nothing to do with, so I figured why not make a nice custom one where you don't have to buy things to get the rarest of things. I'll be happy with just a few players, but I'm working hard at it.

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
My total sincere apologies for speaking like a jerk, I come across the wrong way often.
No worries.

I try to keep in mind that I lack empathy somewhat on running a live server for others. I tried it many, many years ago and I didn't really promote it nor get any players on it. Now I didn't really care if I did or didn't, but I had a server running and just left the door open in case anyone wanted to play it. In the end, it was just me and my local friends that ended up playing it. The server I worked on for 7 years eventually turned into a single player game for people to download and play. I even mention that it is a "multiplayer adventure game" and not an MMORPG...in case people wanted to have a small group of friends play in it.

To get a bit back on topic, my server/package is designed alot around old D&D methodologies. For anyone that played my Ultima Odyssey game (yup, I swiped the name from the same game they never finished), they quickly realize that it is vastly different from UO and you get the sense of dungeon delving and finding great treasure. Dungeons have a wide range of hidden traps, along with hidden treasure. It is meant to basically live in a giant sandbox fantasy world, but with the added ability of playing many character archetypes and be able to adventure alone. We find it fun to discover a nice magical sword or a robe that has some cool abilities. Having a rare decoration or strange colored robe never really excited us. Ever since the introduction of the "ranger armor", I thought those types of rewards to be hollow. It was just like regular studded armor but it was green, before you could ever dye leather. So players thought it was cool.

In Ultima Odyssey, I have it pretty wide open for characters to customize their appearances...because that is what I consider an enjoyable feature that doesn't change the mechanics of the game. For example, players may find a pair of magic scissors. These scissors can be used to change clothing appearances. So if a player has a wizard, and they want to be dressed like a wizard, these scissors can be useful. So if this wizard finds a leather cap with really nice abilities, they can use the magic scissors on them and cut them into a leather wizard hat. The hat statistics remain the same, but it allowed the player to have their character look a certain way. Some servers thrive on these cosmetic options, and make they a rare reward type item. They will introduce a strange color of cloth for a month and then remove it from the game so it now becomes rare...and for some reason...players like that. Hell...give me an axe of dragon slaying instead because then I can go hunting in Destard.

I sometimes joke because I scripted Ultima Odyssey to give a sense of an MMORPG with computer generated population...meaning you see adventurers in towns and taverns, talking to each other. You have many adventurers in dungeons that will want to kill you. You can be a thief and steal from vendors or their shoppe coffers...stuff like that. After playing games like Skyrim, I was well over the MM of MMORPG. If anyone has a wife that plays iPad games for "something to do", some of us play Ultima Odyssey for that same reason.

I am not sure how far along you are in your server design, but if you don't care much of having a huge population...here are some ideas that I have seen be effective over the years:

Games like UO Outlands made the map smaller, so players see each other more often. This idea may not work for many as it is sometimes nice to adventure in familiar Britannia. One could also just have their world be Ilshenar and make new dungeon entrances for classic places like Destard or Wrong.

I once loaded up Britannia in Centred and removed every city on the map...except Britain. This made sure there was only one place to go to do commerce and banking. I also made dungeon entrances for every other dungeon in the game (Doom, Khaldun, or the many Ilshenar dungeons). In the end I had a Britannia with many more dungeons and it kept everyone on the same continent.

Ultima Odyssey uses a "public region" system where if you go into a tavern, inn, bank, wizard guild, thief guild, necromancer guild, etc...they are the same for anyone entering those areas...no matter where they enter from. So if my friend was in Britain, and I was in Yew, if we both went into those banks we would be in the same bank together. When we leave, we would be back in our respective towns we entered from. This worked well because when I ran this online, we did see other other at the bank often.

TheDoc

Gold Donator
Platinum Donator
Jun 16, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Shard Name
MAGA
Donate
That sounds great! I'm a big fan of old Rogue like games. I would love to see procedurally generated dungeons, and someone did work on one that was going well awhile back, but I think they stopped. I'm pretty decent at c# but not on procedural type things yet. I'm still picking up a lot of principles as when I learned programming qbasic was the big deal, then I was all over C like a shark lol. I loved it.

Your first tip is one my best friend who plays has begged me to do for years. He claims it will keep players because the world is smaller and I'm starting to think he's been right since 2009. The map changes and region changes are neat ideas and would be easy.

I scripted some player like mobiles too and have used the blue players script as well. I ran off a few players once that runebook mined because I scripted a band of thieves that followed people around mountain tiles and searched the bag for ore and stole it. I found out that wasn't the best idea lol.

I do miss the old pvp days, but now, especially on servers with a lot of customs, you draw 9/10 PvE players and it seems like you have to go pre-t2a , t2a or renaissance to draw pvp players. I imagine it's due mostly to overpowered items. I saw a hilarious youtube video about Evolution PvP that was a guy running around with a pet of the month with an "all kill" macro. He just stood there and let his pet do the work even though he had great items. It's sad. But, like you, I don't care about player amounts. I have a few good friends who played and staffed on other shards I had built while picking things up. I think it will be great just to have them around even if it doesn't go far. I get a great deal on a decent server so I can afford to keep this one going with no donations. It feels good to give people a place to play and rely on their input to make it what it is.

AS for shard development, I'm working through a lot of system changes to make things more unique and the smaller map idea is one I know my friends will like. My goal, now that I'm decent with C# is to come up with a lot of new quests and more complex scripts. After I launch and get some players I would love to share them because I've never been good enough to contribute or have been too busy. I do undrtstand donations on most shards because they pay the hosting etc. but some folks are really greedy and blatantly call other people's work theirs. That's where I get angry and fly off the handle many times.

That was a really interesting post!

P.S. Just read the post again. I REALLY like the bank idea and it would be simple to do. Great idea.
Happy Easter!

Last edited: