xG00BERx

Before I get into this I don't want to be the guy who is complaining that things don't work and then not offering solutions because for the most part I have none... Im not as well versed in this shit as most of the users are here on ServUO but that is why I am posting about it because it effects me as a player.

I know that UOS is older and it is not being developed any longer, I know that it is closer sourced and that nobody has access to the code that we know of (other than Kraz and Deigo - I believe that was their names) but none have been able to get ahold of them and get the code or find a solution to keeping UOS up to date.

BUT
UOS currently has a lot of problems, for one.. most doors will not open with the open doors function, 90% of the time users will not be able to use the organizer Agent to drag and drop things into a bin that is locked down into their house without a good use of -resync (re syncing the game and acknowledging what is on screen) and even after that sometimes there are issues that persist on. There used to be an issue where players would not even load on your screen unless you ran the resync but I believe with @Voxpire this was fixed after some testing (for some users - myself included. I have not had an invisible player since then)

With this I just have to wonder
How does Razor still work so well? I don't think razor is very good in a lot of ways but it sure has stood the test of time?
Why has UOS all of the sudden broken? It is only broken on ServUO servers... It only has these issues on ServUO servers... any of the RUNUO servers it works excellent and I have none of these issues?

I know that ServUO is always changing and being repaired or made strong but I have to say the fact that it has broken UOS has pushed people away and after a brief visit to some RUNUO servers I have to say.. having a working UOS is very very nice.
Does anyone know what we or the community can do or look into to maybe solve this issue? I know there are more clients out there but UOS is definitely the most popular and the easiest to use at this time being(I suppose this is my opinion) anyways, maybe we can get some more intelligent minds on this?

Lastly, I would venture to say that posting simply that its UOS fault is not a very good way of approaching things as UOS works on RUNUo and it had to have been a change to ServUO that broke the compatibility. If the fix was worth breaking it then OK thats a valid argument but I don't think blaming UOS or me for suggesting a fix would be a good idea is useful.
Thanks ServUO community.

Razor is still being developed under the name Razor Enhanced. Otherwise there really is no way to make the server software "Backwards compatible" with a 3rd party program. The developers of said program would have to get the updated packet information that is sent between the client and the server, that would be the only way to make broken features of said 3rd party program to work again,

Steam has a reliance on reading specific cliloc ID's from messages sent to the journal for certain actions.

This is both a flaw because of the issues you've described and a miracle because it gives admins a way to control features that UOS uses to an extent.

As for the doors, that probably relies on a hard-coded list of ItemIDs in UOS.exe unless it loads the doors.txt from the UO install... the problem is no one knows for sure because it's not open source.

I use it for logging in and that's it. It's less clunky than Razor in my opinion, but Razor is a proven work-horse.

If you can figure out what changed to break certain features then compensation can be made to better support UOS features, but in defiance of your last statement, I have to say this is more an issue with the way UOS is designed than it is with the way ServUO is updated based on the latest client files.

Back