Just looking for some general info at the moment.

I just started with OHV. I have a basic VPS nothing fancy. I really needed pointed in the right direction.

What are my best options?

1/ upload servuo and a client from my PC to the VPS?

or

2/ Upload servuo directly from github?

I recently gave up on running the server through my mobile hotspot. For those that helped me in that endeavor thank you. It would seem AT&T Mobile gophone hotspots are not capably of the task.

I'd say if you have the ability, loading it directly on the VPS is the best way to go. Less bandwidth between your PC and the VPS, plus if you make any changes, you can do it directly on the VPS and merge in your files there, rather than downloading files locally, changing them, and then having to upload / overwrite them on the VPS.

You can set the directory in //Server/Scripts/Misc/DataPath.cs if you don't wish to install the client and you need the follow files from it.

Multi.idx
Multi.mul
VerData.mul
TileData.mul
Map*.mul or Map*LegacyMUL.uop
StaIdx*.mul
Statics*.mul
MapDif*.mul
MapDifL*.mul
StaDif*.mul
StaDifL*.mul
StaDifI*.mul

- Grim

Last edited:
Thank you for that. :)

It has been a steep learning curve, so far. A challenge I have enjoyed. I am beginning to see, running a shard from a VPS is more than learning a few basic commands. To actually be comfortable working with the code and updating the shard as needed, I will need to learn some programming skills.

Do you agree, or can I get by just asking the right questions here on this forum?

Personally, I am now interested in learning what it takes. :)

I can't speak for you, but I know ZERO about scripting and such for ServUO and I have a small shard setup for me and my friends. If you just want something to play on and run out of the box, you can do that easily with the help here and getting it going. If you want to do a lot of custom stuff, then you are talking about a lot of work and effort (for solo, at least). I guess it all just depends on what you wanna do.

:) Awesome!! I just want to keep it simple. Not my intention to be a big time shard.
We just enjoy the game and I enjoy the being the owner. :)

Back