1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misc use Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows 1.0

Visual Studio Express

1. Milva

Admin Moderator

Milva submitted a new resource:

Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows - Visual Studio Express

Read more about this resource...

• Like Like x 1
  2. xG00BERx

xG00BERx Active Member

I have been coding UO with Notepad++ since I started coding... lol maybe I will actually use this XD

3. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

While the express version is sufficient for a lot of things I would recommend anyone who can to get a full version of Visual Studio for the simple reason you can use extensions. If you are a student you can get it for free via dreamspark if your school is enrolled in the dreamspark program.

A fantastic extension that makes life very easy when coding in c# or other .net languages is ReSharper. I have never looked back once I started to use it and I recommend everyone else to use it who can. It's not free but it's worth the price tag. Plus if you are a student you can get a student license a lot cheaper than the developer licenses.

There are other extensions out there such as just code but in my opinion none of them are as good as ReSharper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Milva

Admin Moderator

dmurphy I'm not quite sure why you would be so against this thread which I posted, at the same time I hope you do understand that not everyone can afford those programs or are even students.
    The reason I posted this would be because, I can't count how many posts I have seen with error's, when most of them could be corrected with Visual Studio. Especially the new people who are just starting out with scripting. A free program to just get them started and to help them was my intention with this post.
    I do appreciate your wanting to expand about the best programs to use so maybe you should also post the url's so that they can be checked out. :)

5. dmurphy

Admin ServUO Developer

I think you may have read a little too much into my post. I am not against your thread at all! In fact I am sure many of the worlds top coders would of started with the express version of Visual Studio.

But with the price tag of free comes a lot of restrictions. The biggest being (in my eyes) no extensions. Extensions are a must have to any user of visual studio. They make everything easier.

As requested here is a link to a few extensions for Visual Studio.

ReShaper
    Just code

And here is a free one by Microsoft.

Productivity Power Tools

Like you said yourself I was just trying to extend upon the topic and give suggestions on how one might be more productive and comfortable in their coding life.

6. Denjiki

Denjiki Active Member

Yeah, I got Visual Studio Professional through dreamspark, it's a great bonus to being a student, but to anyone who's not express will probably do the trick just fine. I actually have a spare(legitimate, not pirated or illegal) VS Professional key if anyone needs one. Just PM me if you're interested in it -- if I get several requests i'll probably just pick someone at random who i think would actually put use to it (don't just pm me if you want a key and aren't going to realistically use it please).

EDIT:: So I have given away all my VS 2013 keys. However, I still have Visual Studio 2012 Professional keys, which should still be more than adequate. Realistically, you probably won't be using very many of the new features 2013 provides for ServUO programming.

#6 Denjiki, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  7. Milva

Admin Moderator

"Thank You" dmurphy for posting those links :)

8. Insanity

Insanity Active Member

Visual Studio is easy to get for free if you're a student. As is ReSharper (your school can apply for an academic license for free.) Or you can start up your own active open source project and use that project to apply for a free ReSharper license. I highly recommend ReSharper to anyone that uses Visual Studio.

• Two Thumbs Up Two Thumbs Up x 1