Some of us have a recent curiosity of what UO has become over the years. We are wondering about how the world and game changed, as well as that new client they made. With that stated...what comes with ServUO when you set it up? Years ago we would setup RunUO and all you had with it is the town doors and vendors. We had to build the rest of the world out ourselves...adding monsters in dungeons and spawning the land. Is the base ServUO fully populated/setup to launch and play...or does this same amount of work need to be done by the user? We don't want to dabble in anything "custom" or add custom things. Just wanted to check things out.

You can absolutely play the box-stock ServUO distribution. In fact, I think some of these popup shards to exactly that :D

There is some spawner wonkiness that has to be smoothed out for optimum play but it's 99.99% ready to play just unzip, compile, and execute. You'll need to issue the various worldgen commands to get things populated but it's all scripted.

Note that I have no experience with the very latest server version. Once it moved to "recompile the entire project after every script change" it pretty much lost my interest.

Reactions: ExX
I got this to work pretty easy...with two hiccups not in the instructions I saw where you install .Net 4.8 and such. I had to download and install these two things as well as of this date (March 31 2021):

I also tried to use the EC files for the server but there is no TileData so it crashes...so I had to use the classic client's files.

So I tried the EC client and just didn't like it. I saw the features in the client with grid containers and searching in bank boxes...but the graphics are just horrible. To me the graphics feel like the Third Dawn client but I think the paperdoll gumps are not that great to look at. It is weird that their footstep noises don't match their animation...so that is jarring. What I also think is off-putting about things like EC and Third Dawn is that they update "some" graphics (for mobiles mostly) but not the other tiles and such. So this mix of old and new graphics doesn't look good together. Anyway...curiosity satisfied. ServUO Deleted!*

*Reminder: This isn't a reflection on ServUO as that was working fine. It was just an experiment to see Broadsword's "new" client. Broadsword should dump a shit ton of money to AndreaKarasho and hire him to make a better client.

You can absolutely play the box-stock ServUO distribution. In fact, I think some of these popup shards to exactly that :D

There is some spawner wonkiness that has to be smoothed out for optimum play but it's 99.99% ready to play just unzip, compile, and execute. You'll need to issue the various worldgen commands to get things populated but it's all scripted.

Note that I have no experience with the very latest server version. Once it moved to "recompile the entire project after every script change" it pretty much lost my interest.
You always had to recompile RunUO/ServUO each time it started up but the way it is set up now is that you don't have to recompile if you do not have any script changes/additions. This means if you are restarting the server or it crashes the server will load faster because it isn't compiling the scripts unlike the older versions of ServUO/RunUO which compiled at server startup.

Im not sure about that Izek. I've used RunUO a lot and if the scripts didnt change, a restart took seconds. A script change however took near 50 seconds for the recompile.

Reactions: ExX
Back