Dan(Tasanar)

I think one of the most daunting challenges to getting a shard up and running is deciding on the right server company / host.

Am I paying too much? How is the latency? ect.

I use Stealthy Hosting.

They are okay but I do seem to have latency issues from time to time. I would like to hear from some of the other big shard owners on who they use to host their shards. This post may also help others down the road!

I host from home on a dedicated hardline with a 150 connection ,, currently checking on a blade server to move to but still will be hosting Our Shard from home

Hosting from home. Not on a dedicated server yet, i do have an amazing line though. I live in Ireland, got players in Canada and other corners of the world with very low ping.

Currently looking to get a dedicated server where i could move UO, the website and the db to. I don't think I will ever need something better.

I would be very interested to hear from some of the more populated shard owners. What, maybe more pricey, higher end hosts do you use?

Still looking for information on good hosting companies.

Some cap you at 30000 GB of bandwidth a month. Is that more than I would ever use with UO?

Still looking for information on good hosting companies.

Some cap you at 30000 GB of bandwidth a month. Is that more than I would ever use with UO?

Hello, the official Ultima Online servers never used 30,000 GB per month, not even in their peak.

Ive never came close to maxxing out my 5 dollar plan. I mean cpu, ram, bandwidth, i normally dont even use 50%. And thats running a UO server, a WoW server, my websites and email servers, my dns servers, and my mechwarrior online guild teamspeak. Plus my ping times are super low. I have no idea why anyone would want to spend more. Just find a good provider. Low cost doesnt mean bad service anymore than high cost means good service.

ServUO server with 100 people connected uses 1 gb of ram and under 20% cpu. with zero people it uses about 300meg ram.
To use 30TB of bandwidth running only a UO server would take something like 50,000 concurrent users non stop for an entire month. I may have just pulled those figures out of my butt however i think you get my point.

:)

Last edited:
I have never seen a shard hit its monthly bandwidth quota on a dedicated server in all the past 15 years... not even the largest shard like UOForever. The only way to come close would be to make the game itself downloadable from the same server box, since UO is roughly 1gb in size... even then it would still take 25,000 downloads in a month, lol...

If Your running from home now I would probly stick with that and save My money for a little while longer I run on a 150 connection and also run a discord and a couple other things and have low player ping at shard and saves are under .9 seconds but We have massive amounts of mobs and custom deco and other custom items this is just My suggestion tho Weve had no problems running on a home server

Im still using the offer from this link: https://lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-labor-day-sale-5mo-4gb-openvz-and-more/#more-13127 vps is located in New York. $45 bucks for a year. Pair that with a 88 cent first year domain name from http://namecheap.com and your set. I install Ubuntu. SSH to the vps. Then I apt install vestacp web panel, git, and mono-complete. Setup vestacp web panel with your domain info, git clone servuo and set up its config as well, then make, and off you go....

Honestly Ive only had one problem with chicagovps the entire time, and an email and a trouble ticket and they fixed it within an hour.

Last edited:
I use https://www.chicagovps.net/ currently. I used to use Joe's Datacenter.
I currently have a 4 core 5gb ram openvz VPS with 100gb HD and 10TB bandwidth (1gb connection) for 5 bucks a month.
You can find some great deals if you shop around. I check https://lowendbox.com/ daily. Good luck.

I am now currently using the chicagovps.net. I have the server and the client uploaded. The server starts and all is good there. I have changed the ip and server name in the serverlist.cs yet I still cannot connect. What I am missing? Its been way to long.

i dont modify serverlist.cs to be honest the stock settings usually just work.

check out the cfg files in the config folder. Start by modifing these and you wont have to make a bunch of the more common file edits.

I just want to hop onto this post to say that we tried hosting for a month with GameHosting.co. It was absolute garbage customer service, they have completely screwed our uptime and we couldn't access our VPS for 8 hours yesterday, they tried to blame it on Windows updates and we hopped in their discord channel like 10 other people were having the same issue. They also double charged us for the month.

So..... in summary,
we don't recommend them. LOL

Interesting topic and I thought I would add my two cents, even though I'm not a "big shard owner" anymore ^_^

I've never tested VPS's, so I won't talk about them. Just always thought this wasn't the best for my needs.

Main host was OVH.
Cheaper but based in Europe mainly, I was also using Hetzner (unbeatable offers for the war machines they have).
So that's pure dedicated servers (what I took).

OS : always Windows Server (whatever .. even 2016 was good imho).
That's a bit more every month, but worth it compared to the issues with Linux or Virtual Machines on Linux. (other projects would fit on Linux though, but not ServUO as it is designed ^^).

Prices : depending on the machine. Cheapest : 54 per month (with good SSD drives, which is the most important point for ServUO imho too ^^).

Latency : perfect both of them. For users in the US, I was hosting a server in Canada (with OVH). Most of the players had below 100 ms. Even with the host in Europe (Finland with Hetzner) players from the US had a good decent ping, players from Europe and Asia were damn happy about the pretty low ping :)
I basically never experienced latency issues, or maybe once with OVH. But everything was well planned and announced on their data center status. 1 day maximum and all they had to do was done.

Hopefully my input helped :)

Take care

Back