I am experiencing gradually increasing save time. I had an issue some time back where some code I added to treasure chests was generating items but not placing them in the world; instead placing them on the internal server. This lead to gradually increasing save times, I believe up to 1.5 or so before I discovered the source (maybe more). I cannot recall the amount of items, but it was considerable. Once I deleted these items and fixed the problem, the saves went back to 0.3 to 0.4 seconds. This lasted for several months, probably closer to a year.

In the last couple of months, I have gone from 0.3 to 0.5 or so, on average, to 0.7 to 0.9, and now I am mostly in the 0.8 to 1.2 range. If make a copy and run it on my laptop the saves are more in the 3.5+ second range (though my laptop has some issues). The game itself runs fine on both.

I am currently using a VPS server with 4 GB of RAM. I checked the server and it is using about 35% memory (most of this to run Windows), and hardly any CPU. There are currently 145338 items in the world. 8843 are on the internal server, the vast majority of which are player items, presumably in the bank on on the character. The rest are items in the world.

I added quite a few premium spawners recently, but not enough to explain the increase.

I am often working on the shard, though since I fixed the treasure chest issue (and before), only a couple of players have logged in occasionally (rarely, really); not enough to greatly add to the item count. I have been working on the shard quite a bit, and made some changes, though I am not certain what I might have changed to cause this.

I tried rebooting the VPS and restarting Windows 2012 on the VPS.

I know this is a stab in the dark, but does anyone have any ideas as to how to trouble shoot this? Or if it might be hardware or software related? Or any ideas at all, really?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Thanks for the prompt response and the link. The issue mentioned here is what I was experiencing before with the treasure chests. Items were being created, but not placed in the world and were leaking into the internal map. This is not the issue now, as there are only 8843 items on the internal map, most of which are items in player banks. When I experienced it previously, there were a considerable number of items on the internal map. The items on the internal map are not currently inexplicably increasing. Most of the items on the shard are on Felucca. I am going to monitor these and see if they increase.

I should also mention that I am using RunUO.

Last edited:
I run my shard with zero null items in the internal map.... how are you checking your internal items?.... [xmlfind? If so, on there are you selecting ONLY the "int", "null", and "hide valid internal" boxes and then searching? If you select those boxes player bank items should not be showing. And really nearly anything that does show should be diagnosed why, and deleted. In my opinion, anyway lol. I don't know if this will help your problem but I hope its useful info any way.

I run my shard with zero null items in the internal map.... how are you checking your internal items?.... [xmlfind? If so, on there are you selecting ONLY the "int", "null", and "hide valid internal" boxes and then searching? If you select those boxes player bank items should not be showing. And really nearly anything that does show should be diagnosed why, and deleted. In my opinion, anyway lol. I don't know if this will help your problem but I hope its useful info any way.

Ah, thanks! I suspect that this is not causing the long save times, but it is incredibly helpful. I am using [xmlfind, though I was not using only the filters you mention. I will definitely try this. Thanks again!

I am strongly considering switching to either a better, managed VPS with more RAM, or possibly a dedicated server (if I can find one one at a decent price).

Back