Currently our shard uses a world teleporter system which is a series of gumps that let's people travel to a set of predefined locations. It's the same concept as the stock moon gate system but more advanced and customizable.

We are currently looking at implementing a travel hub in its place. We are thinking that players will see each other more often because they would be passing through a central area when they travel between maps.

Has anyone here tried this or have any thoughts about it?

Gateroom? Yeah, used to be incredibly common before Daat's WorldTeleporter

Upside, is what you said, players see each other more often and it kind of works like a central gathering area

Downside is that it tends to take up a large area and you have to click on each gate to see where it goes.

Decoration can help too; the other idea was to have a world teleporter for each map so you always enter the hub in the same place but then there's a moon gate with a map unique set of locations for each map. They would be located in different areas in the hub.

It could be more annoying for players and encourages more player to player stalking, but on shards with low populations players don't see each other much. This is especially true if you greatly expand the number of maps you're using.

Excellent idea with having a world teleporter for each map so you "always enter the hub in the same place but then there's a moon gate with a map unique set of locations for each map." If I'm understanding this correct, each map would lead to a room so to speak with a moongate set to certain locations. The room then would be much smaller then a gateroom, but could also contain chairs and such for those who want to relax and meet with others.

I love the idea really. Anything to pull the players together some is great. We may just use this idea somehow as well :) Thanks!

Kinda makes me think of the Star Room for some reason

@Praxiiz love the avatar too!

How bout this....Have a Central Lobby and then a hallway, for each map, would lead off that lobby. Those, in turn, will lead to another lobby WITHIN a particular map; Trammel for instance. That lobby would then link to various places of interest within that particular map. That way you dont have a Gate room taking up too much space and everyone will still have to go through the Central Lobby in order to go to the map they want.

Yeah, cool. I thought I almost recognized it, or at least was a variation of the UO logo. Been a long time since I had seen that one!

On Catskills OSI, a long time player turned their Luna house into a massive runebook library. They used different deco and such to somewhat visually show the different areas of the books near them. It was massive full 4 floors, filled to the gill with books. Had to of been upwards of a few thousand. They also had it setup so players could contribute to the books as well.

It only takes a few times there of getting familiar with the books and locations of them to get a handle on what books go where.

I had an idea that's stolen from some game...FF 12?
A player can't tele to an area unless they've already been there and "activated" the tele for their character.

obviously, they still need a way to get to a different map. so i think having one main tele area, that then has a tele for each map would work well.
like the End of Time room from Chrono Trigger

*sighs* i miss Squaresoft

CEO Moongate Runebook Library- worked great, only thing I didn't like about it was having so many runebooks attached to the moongate.

I know runbook library scripts are out there.. Ive never used any myself, being I have custom map.. they never related to me.. like many other good scripts :(

i use a rune library on my shard i find it makes a nice place for decoration and its very useful.

I also made a series of runebooks where players can add there own runes for things like the vendors or to show off there custom decorated houses.

Ive uploaded the runelibrary script i used as a base for my runelibrary add the .cs files to custom scripts and the txt files for data path

Attachments

• RuneLibrary.rar
    9.4 KB · Views: 34
Back