I have looked for this before coming here.

I would like to have 2 groups on a spawner. I know how to sequential spawn, but on the second group I want the creature to spawn only 10% of the time. If I have to, I will make 2 spawner bits to do this. But thought I would ask here first on how to do it.

Let me take a crack at this.

If I understand the question, you want a spawner to spawn 2 different groups of creatures. The first group will spawn 90% of the time, and the second group 10% of the time?

If that is correct, I would have your spawner spawn 1 of 10 possible spawners. The first 9 spawners spawn the first group, and the 10th spawner spawns the second group. As long as your original spawner only spawns 1 of the 10 spawners randomly, it should come out correctly.

Lokai's idea will work and it will be pretty stable (especially if you name each Xmlspawner and reference the name, instead of the Serial to trigger the spawners).

We all know there are many different ways to skin a cat, so I'm just offering another way.
Two Xmlspawners needed for this.
On the first spawner, the first entry should be:
Code:
TAKE,1,*,fork/Mysterious Dagger
and then create an entry for the 10% spawn (but don't do anything "special" just add the mob like any other), but make it its own subgroup.
Set it's proximity range so that it covers the same area as your second spawner (you can stack Xmlspawners pretty high without issue).
Set the TrigOnCarried to "Mysterious Dagger" (or whatever you want, it's not "real" loot anyway).
Add an entry in a different subgroup for SETONTHIS/DoReset/True/Running/True
RESET the first Xmlspawner and leave it alone.
On the second spawner, add an entry for your 90% spawn, BUT do something like this:
Code:
 Orc/Name/Buggy/ADD,0.1/<fork/Name/Mysterious Dagger/Hue/51>
That means that when Buggy spawns, 10% of the time, he will have the Mysterious Dagger as loot.
Depending on if you want the 90% spawn to continue spawning while the 10% is spawned or not, you could add another entry in another subgroup on the second spawner to SETONTHIS/DoReset/True/Running/False.
If you want them to continue spawning, don't do anything more to the second spawner and turn the second spawner on.
As soon as a player loots the Mysterious Dagger, the first spawner will spawn your 10% mob.
There are other, more complicated solutions involving CONDITIONs and some other keywords as well, but I've found that they usually work once and then break.

thanks all. Lokai and Taas23 you both had it close enough to what I want.

I wanted one group to spawn 100% of the time. Then as an added challenge, have the second group spawn 10% of the time. I am trying to create a random encounter like in dungeons and dragons. So the dungeon I am creating is not the same thing every time a player enters, it becomes unpredictable and challenging every time you enter.

For example:
You could walk into the room 10 times, but of that 10 only 2 or 3 times the menacing dragon
could appear to protect what was deeper inside the dungeon. Giving you an "extra" challenge.

On a side note, I could do this for the others as well. To up the challenge factor a little.

thank you

Back