Has anyone used this? I am wondering what the development status is on it, and if there is any interest in it. The repository doesn't show any real active development for over a year. I noticed it still relies on the EA client data files, which seems to be the case for all of the custom clients.

It would be wonderful to have an open source client that is feature complete, but doesn't rely on any of the EA assets. I know that it is a significant effort, and I'm trying to estimate just how much of an effort it would be.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has publicly worked on it since the dates you see. I think a feature robust fully functional client would be an absolute asset to the UO emulation community. I was very hopeful when the XNA project started, and then again when Fluorescence came into being. Sadly both seem to be completely discontinued. On the bright side they're both completely open source as far as I can tell. Maybe they can be integrated somehow? I know Flo was a bit more advanced as far as features like animated water shading and particle effects.

I think if anyone could successfully pull off a completed release it would be you Praxiiz. If Ultima Live and its sub-projects are any indication.

I have never heard of this. I'm currently going through the list of what can and can not be put in the gumps, and all the duplicate animations. Anything that would help us customizers, would make me over the moon happy. :D

I looked into a few clients that have been started or completed. The languages used to develop them are as follows:

Iris3D was written in C++
Fluorescence was written in C++

XNA Client was written in C#
Kirrios Client was written in C#

Next step is to compare architectures among the projects and compare them to the Classic Client Architecture.

It looks like the Palanthir client was written in Delphi. I wasn't aware that it existed. Thanks for pointing it out. I may look at it's architecture, but it's doubtful I'll use any of it's code.

Praxiiz, I know you're hugely busy. Have you looked any further into picking up development on any of these terminated (yet massively needed) custom clients?

I have been looking at them. I started getting familiar with XNA and then got side tracked looking at Fluorescence. Those are the only two I'm looking at.

There is a lot of work that needs to go into both clients. I firmly believe that finishing all the basic client features is more important than adding custom renderers and effects. It's easy to get distracted by feature creep. We need a client that has all the basic functionality, and then the extras can come later. Right now I am leaning towards XNA because it's coded in C# which makes me feel like there is a potential for community involvement.

My spare time isn't what it used to be though, so when I pick up one of the clients, development will be slow.

Understandable, and I agree about leaning towards XNA. It might actually help the speed of development being that its C#, as more people might be willing and comfortable in attempting to help. I for one have no claim to being a good or great programmer, but I'd definitely help where possible with bug testing etc.

Iris3D is probably the most fully developed of these, followed by Flourescence and XNA Client, Krrios last. There is also the Pananthir client which I don't know much about but here is the URL: http://varan.uodev.de/

Iris2 was great, too bad they dropped the Project. If there is interest about i could help to get into contact with their devs ( have one of them in icq)

Well the Stealth Client is written in Delphi as well, but closed Source

These open source clients are pretty impressive initiatives but they are no small tasks that is for sure.

Praxiiz I was wondering how your exploration of these open source clients was going. I'd probably lean towards C# as well. By the way I really like the Ultima Live system you created, in my book its pretty much the most epic mod made for UO. I really like maps, so being able to go past the number of maps the client allows is a big deal.

I really want to pick up development on the XNA client, but I have a few other projects that I need to finish up first. I don't want to get too many things going at once and not finish any of them.

I even tried to read the code of ultima XNA.
It should be done in a different way, however XNA is not up to it. If someone would like to do that should use
1) Unity (maybe with some work but seems like kons did some part of it https://code.google.com/p/kprojects/wiki/UnityClient - download : https://code.google.com/p/kprojects/downloads/detail?name=TileMapSprite_0.1.zip&can=2&q=)
2) SharpDX , it could allow you to stay in a .net world and keep using C# but working at the same time with raw data. - Something about this could be found on openuo

If someone would like to do that should use
1) Unity
I disagree, I have experience and practice with the unity engine and it would be far overkill to use it for UO. It's great for making a new game but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for making a old game client.

Also XNA should be replaced with MonoGame game code it can utilize SharpDX code.
http://www.monogame.net/
I like DirectX over OpenGL even though I have strongly mixed feelings about both.

once upon a time there was another client made by a german, i can't remember its name but it was pretty cool but maybe never finished.

ps, @Hank, i can agree with you about unity but Kons said me it could be easier in the long time using a game engine and he did some part of this job.

@xXHopeXx The Iris team won a bunch of german and other countries awards for Iris.
I'd love to see someone pick up Iris2 and complete it fully. It is currently playable and I have used it on a public shard. I'd still not recommend using it as a full time client. There was a fair share of crashes and glitches.

@xXHopeXx The Iris team won a bunch of german and other countries awards for Iris.
I'd love to see someone pick up Iris2 and complete it fully. It is currently playable and I have used it on a public shard. I'd still not recommend using it as a full time client. There was a fair share of crashes and glitches.

I´m sure Ghoulsblade and the others of the team would be happy if the community would like to pick it up. Its Open Source, just noone cared...

Fluorescence uses python. The author got bogged down in college according to his blog. I was following that project for a while and it never got beyond a certain point. I've used Fluorescence on the private test shard and the best that I could get to work was basic walking around which didn't feel like classic uo for some reason. Also the built in 'particle' effects which I quite like a lot.

There was a lot of cool things from the second original UO 3d client that came out with AOS. I loved the spell effects and some of the 3d models were not terrible. I remember the one of the rare horses had animated flaming hooves. If only the enhanced client stuck to the classic monster art style more I may have liked it more.

I remember being excited about Iris.. like 10 years ago, and thinking it would be worth waiting for.. well, Im still waiting.

Yeah, the Fire Steed that was introduced right around the third dawn, had/has the flaming hooves. It was just a let down when the FireSteed really was not all that special at all, while requiring what, 106 skill level to tame? disappointing, it should have been a lot more special for the way it was brought into the game. No one cared about the pack instinct or whatever it did have.

There was a lot of cool things from the second original UO 3d client that came out with AOS. I loved the spell effects and some of the 3d models were not terrible. I remember the one of the rare horses had animated flaming hooves. If only the enhanced client stuck to the classic monster art style more I may have liked it more.

Man, there should be a hack to make it work with recent versions.

Back