Just wanted some feed back.

I'm debating having absolutely no travel magic on the shard, which means no runebook/recall/gate. There will be travel Items, that when double clicked takes to you to predetermined locations such as towns and maybe even dungeons, however they are purchasable from a 'crystal vendor' and are blessed.

anyone think this is a terrible idea and ppl will be upset or is this something unique that might work out? kind of wanted to bring a little bit back of the old days where you actually had to know how to get somewhere, unless you are teleporting to a town.

Also housing has a teleport to house command if the player owns one, so that also would be covered anyways.

It does not sound like a bad idea in my opinion, if it mixes with your shard's lore then it's alright.
But for the teleport to house command, this is surely not "needed", this would depend of the type of shard you have and again, the lore.

Last edited:
It's not a bad idea, if executed properly it could work really well.
I probably would leave out the direct-to-house travel though, if players are forced to walk to their houses, it could potentially increase the value of specific land plots. Allowing players to travel to their houses at any time doesn't make any one location more appealing (as is current UO). Just a thought though.

I like the way World of Warcraft does it, you have a stone in your pack that you can link to Inns in the world by talking to an Innkeeper. Those stones allow you to travel back to that Inn at any time, but they have a 1 hour cool-down between uses. In order to get to a dungeon entrance, you have to venture out and walk there; if you have 3 or more people at the entrance, you can use the summoning stone to teleport party members there, saving them from the long walk. Of course, a lot of the walking is covered by 'public transport' like zeppelins, boats and flight paths, which aren't exactly easy to implement in UO. Perhaps pseudo-transports can be set up, kind of like the Doom Entrance where you simply teleport from one boat to another, giving the illusion of travel.

I've considered an option that it similar to a travel system in other games:

You have a travel crystal at key points but a player cannot teleport there until to travel by foot to the location and "activate" the crystal.

I think it was Final Fantasy 12 that had something similar.

The only concern I would have with this is that when the 'real' world intrudes into your gaming time, the no magic travel is a huge headache. You can spend too much of your gaming time walking in & out of areas - and not enough time playing the game.

Dungeon Siege 2 had a decent way of handling travel, they had set waypoints you could use, after you walked to them and activated them. Everything between the waypoints was on foot. ...but that was a straight-thru game, not an open world.

Just another way to look at it :)

IIRC Siege Perilous had some different travel rules and was very popular. It had no recall at all and limited use of gate travel. You could not mark inside a dungeon or gate from inside a dungeon. Because you only had 1 character per account, not everyone could gate either.

Thank you everyone for your feed back. Ultimately I'm making an unique spin off of Sword Art Online but in UO, obviously a lot of things just are not possible and with my scripting knowledge somethings are simply out of my reach.

I figure that I will see how the house teleportation system works, I may even add a bunch of if statements to make it harder to use. Regarding real world intrusion, there is already a script in existence I could use, it's a pause script, that allows you to pause your toon where ever you are at. Now of course I will had timers so you can use it like only once per hour.

ALso in each dungeon there will be 'Safe' Zones, so even if you are knee deep in a dungeon and you need to run, you can get to a safe zone and log out as needed.

Also using some of dark shards genius maps, i've fixed some issues with the map, I can't wait to release this up for beta testing for everyone. So far it's working out nicely, also I think I've hit the point to where I will no longer be applying most commits from servuo repo, unless it's true a bug fix, since most features that are currently in ServUO have been kind of what I've been looking for.

So in short, I will stick to my guns for my original idea and keep magic transport out of the equation and keep a gate sytem for the towns only, and use town crystals for when you are in the middle of nowhere.

Which, if anyone knows of a circular world or can make a decent one please PM me. I tried making my own however I think I'm lacking the patience, art design was never my strong suit.. It would need to replace the trammel map or the SE Tokuno Map.

For Requiem, in our act 3 and 4 we had a "wagon" system. The player would walk up to a wagon NPC and say the word wagon which would open a Gump and they could choose five or six different places to travel too. Each destination had a different cost in gold or you could buy a wagon ticket for 2000 gold and the wagon system would be free for you. When you chose a destination and clicked on go you would be teleported to a little wagon piece of art which was on the dungeon map which would simulate riding in the wagon along the trip for a given amount of 30 seconds or so, and then you would appear at your destination.
Mark, Recall, and gate were all disabled, but there were some static gates that would lead from destination to destination within the world at special places.
There was also something called a star gate system which was a gate system where you would use an alter item near the gate and it would open up a Gump and you would have to select up to five different symbols and if they were in the correct order for the destination it would open up a point to point gate for 30 seconds or so.

Back