I'm going to make a huge map, and it dawned on me that when I used to connect to another's server, their changes would patch for that server. How do I go about that once I complete map? Something I never done.

I'm not really aware of any servers that have patching methods, but if you're going to make/use custom maps you should be looking at using UltimaLive. There's detailed installation instructions on how to download and install UltimaLive on your server here: https://www.servuo.com/archive/ultima-live-map-streamer-and-editor.266/

Once you have UltimaLive installed it's just a matter of entering the custom map settings into MapDefinition.cs and MapRegistry.cs. Once you have it set up the players that connect to your server will have to be using the UltimaLive igrping.dll in order to see your custom map -- it will stream the map to the player as they explore.

UltimaLive has a number of other cool features as well including real-time map changes for players. An example might be you could literally change the landscape as the players are playing, maybe you have a meteor fall onto the ground and scorch the land while players are in an area. There's also some cool add-ons like turning trees into stumps after they've been chopped. It's a really neat system.

There are ways of using custom maps without UltimaLive, but they involve removing one of the current maps and using your custom map in place of them -- and also players would have to download the map from a website or something, so really UltimaLive is -the- best option.

I'm not really aware of any servers that have patching methods, but if you're going to make/use custom maps you should be looking at using UltimaLive. There's detailed installation instructions on how to download and install UltimaLive on your server here: https://www.servuo.com/archive/ultima-live-map-streamer-and-editor.266/

Once you have UltimaLive installed it's just a matter of entering the custom map settings into MapDefinition.cs and MapRegistry.cs. Once you have it set up the players that connect to your server will have to be using the UltimaLive igrping.dll in order to see your custom map -- it will stream the map to the player as they explore.

UltimaLive has a number of other cool features as well including real-time map changes for players. An example might be you could literally change the landscape as the players are playing, maybe you have a meteor fall onto the ground and scorch the land while players are in an area. There's also some cool add-ons like turning trees into stumps after they've been chopped. It's a really neat system.

There are ways of using custom maps without UltimaLive, but they involve removing one of the current maps and using your custom map in place of them -- and also players would have to download the map from a website or something, so really UltimaLive is -the- best option.
There are still some bugs that need to be worked out with UltimaLive the last I heard. Including players going through gates/teleporting, etc and winding up in black space (until the map loads). That's the biggest one I last heard about, but it's been awhile. Players also have to download the files and install them in their connecting software (like Razor) or else it doesn't work for them or has that now changed?

I'm going to make a huge map, and it dawned on me that when I used to connect to another's server, their changes would patch for that server. How do I go about that once I complete map? Something I never done.
The shard patches used to automatically download back when programs like ConnectUO were still around. The shard patch was uploaded somewhere, the link was included in ConnectUO and players would download it when they started to connect to said shard. I've made changes to all the original UO maps, added new artwork, gumps and custom hues, even with all that, my shard patch is just 1GB. Most people have it downloaded in less than 10 minutes.

There are still some bugs that need to be worked out with UltimaLive the last I heard. Including players going through gates/teleporting, etc and winding up in black space (until the map loads). That's the biggest one I last heard about, but it's been awhile. Players also have to download the files and install them in their connecting software (like Razor) or else it doesn't work for them or has that now changed?

The shard patches used to automatically download back when programs like ConnectUO were still around. The shard patch was uploaded somewhere, the link was included in ConnectUO and players would download it when they started to connect to said shard. I've made changes to all the original UO maps, added new artwork, gumps and custom hues, even with all that, my shard patch is just 1GB. Most people have it downloaded in less than 10 minutes.

As far as I know, players connecting to your server simply have to have the UltimaLive igrping.dll in their UO folder and just connect to the server the same as any other. As far as the other bugs you've mentioned, I've not experienced any of them but that certainly doesn't mean they don't exist. In my experience it's been a great system though.

Back