I have the default (built into ServUO) xmlspawner. But I don't seem to have the commands [xmledit and I can not add xmlquestnpc. I am trying to learn this quest Mesystem including creating the xml dialog. Is there an additional attachment I need for these commands.
THanks

What version of ServUO are you using?
whatever is the version that is shiped with the latest ServUO files.
I don't know if this is still up to date but @Milva posted a tutorial on the xml that is pretty extensive!
XML Tutorial
I suppose what I am really looking for is how to lauch the quest description and acceptance gump. Misc - XmlDialog/XmlEdit, XmlQuestNPC, KILLNAMED Objective, XmlMobFactions shows the description/dialog/gump as well as the acceptance gump/dialoge.

Last edited:
a lot of xmlspawner's functionality was removed in the current repo. You would need to install it back yourself or you could step back to version 57.2 which can be found on the right hand side on github under releases.

Thanks. That saved me a lot of needless research, troubleshooting and headache. What would I be missing by stepping back to that version?.I really liked the quest method. Is there a plan to reintroduce those xmlspawner functions in the future? I hope.

I'm not sure of what all has been changed since. I know they have done a few rounds of bug fixes but I think most of those were to fix issues removing so many things caused. At the beginning of the current repo version a lot of the customization options were removed along with many "extras" that weren't a part of the current broadsword version of UO such as unused mobiles/systems, support for older versions of uo ect... This was done to speed boot time of the server. I'm on 57.2 still saving a few seconds of boot time didn't seem worth losing so much.

I think the majority of us are still on a 57.x branch I am also on 57ish I've manually done some updating on mine but I agree it wasn't worth losing the XML Features and having to add them back in.

I'm tying to install/compile 57.2

dotnet build
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 17.0.1+b177f8fa7 for .NET
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

/home/uo/ServUO-57.2/Scripts/Scripts.csproj : warning NU1503: Skipping restore for project '/home/uo/ServUO-57.2/Scripts/Scripts.csproj'. The project file may be invalid or missing targets required for restore. [/home/uo/ServUO-57.2/ServUO.sln]
Determining projects to restore...
Nothing to do. None of the projects specified contain packages to restore.
/usr/lib/dotnet/sdk/6.0.111/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1217,5): error MSB3644: The reference assemblies for .NETFramework,Version=v4.8 were not found. To resolve this, install the Developer Pack (SDK/Targeting Pack) for this framework version or retarget your application. You can download .NET Framework Developer Packs at .NET SDKs downloads for Visual Studio [/home/uo/ServUO-57.2/Server/Server.csproj]

Build FAILED.

/home/uo/ServUO-57.2/Scripts/Scripts.csproj : warning NU1503: Skipping restore for project '/home/uo/ServUO-57.2/Scripts/Scripts.csproj'. The project file may be invalid or missing targets required for restore. [/home/uo/ServUO-57.2/ServUO.sln]
/usr/lib/dotnet/sdk/6.0.111/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1217,5): error MSB3644: The reference assemblies for .NETFramework,Version=v4.8 were not found. To resolve this, install the Developer Pack (SDK/Targeting Pack) for this framework version or retarget your application. You can download .NET Framework Developer Packs at .NET SDKs downloads for Visual Studio [/home/uo/ServUO-57.2/Server/Server.csproj]
1 Warning(s)
1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:01.09

I think you're missing the SDK, see this thread for some assistance on installing it:

I believe version 6+ should be backwards compatible.

Thanks,.. but, you linked me to my previous thread. I already have 6.0 installed , which works for 57.3, but downgrading to 57.,2 (on the same box) throws the above errors.
sudo apt install dotnet-sdk-6.0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
dotnet-sdk-6.0 is already the newest version (6.0.111-0ubuntu1~22.04.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
ubuntu 2022.04 btw
I also tried 57.1 which also throws the same errors except for version 4.7.2.

it is looking like 57.x is not as backwards compatible as thought. And Microsoft is hiding the 4.x.x installers for dot net.

Is there a .dev package for a 4.x.x version? Or

Is there and older ServUO I can try. Or

Does anyone have some good tutorial on how to hand jam the older xmlspawner into the latest 57.3? I don't want to end up in depends hell.

Last edited:
Yeah I ran into that too. I don't think wine will work. My gut tells me.
Without [xmldialog is there some other way to open and accept/refuse the quest gump? For example, can I click the NPC and choose 'quest' instead of 'buy' or 'train'. Is there some other way to give the player a quest book? Maybe a quest dispensing 'message board' or a 'for hire' sign? Until the [xmledit and quest dialog is fixed?

Maybe I should open a new thread for this.

Last edited:
Yeah I've been looking all over for a way, I can install 5.0 but can't find 4.8..
There are 2 ways to code your quests, one way gives the option to click the NPC and choose quest the other you double click the NPC to get the quest. I would start by finding a quest mob and then looking at their code to see how it's done. I have coded quests both ways and they work fine.

This style quest giver you double click and the quests are stored in your quest journal which can be accessed via the paperdoll's quest button:
1672705736234.png

Can you walk me through, show me an example, or demonstrate how to do this?

Also, a long time ago I saw a script (maybe runuo. make sphere) where there was a quick (and generic) quest generator. If I could find that, maybe I could tweak it to make scripted quests.

To get you started here is the quester I pictured, this uses the new mondain style quest system, one is the NPC the other is the actual quest. This is a simple retrieve item quest, give items get reward but you can go a lot further with it. I would look at the quest mobiles in the stock files for more references. This is one quest writer and if you can still find it or someone has it I believe Gizmo's writes in the new quest style I am unsure of how this one writes them out.

I did also find this, it came from here somewhere.. UO Scripter Beta which can also write out quests.

Attachments

• SecondCharacterQuest.cs
    2.4 KB · Views: 5
  • SecondCharacterQuester.cs
    1.5 KB · Views: 4
  • UO Scripter Beta.zip
    777.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
.Net Framework is the predecessor of .Net Core and also .Net

(.Net is the unification and the way forward for now :p )

So since you miss .Net Framework, and you are using linux, you are simply missing mono.
Mono is the open source implementation of .Net Framework, since that was not crossplatform.

So to make it complete, you should run the commands that are listed in the readme.

1672862021511.png

while you already have dotnet-sdk-5 covered, the other 2 packets should be installed.

sir PyrO, did you comment on the wrong thread?
uo@ub2204servuo:~$ dpkg -l | grep zlib1
ii zlib1g:amd64 1:1.2.11.dfsg-2ubuntu9.2 amd64 compression library - runtime
ii zlib1g-dev:amd64 1:1.2.11.dfsg-2ubuntu9.2 amd64 compression library - development
uo@ub2204servuo:~$ dpkg -l | grep mono-complete
ii mono-complete 6.8.0.105+dfsg-3.2 amd64 complete Mono runtime, development tools and all libraries
uo@ub2204servuo:~$ dpkg -l | grep dotnet-sdk
ii dotnet-sdk-6.0 6.0.111-0ubuntu1~22.04.1 amd64 dotNET 6.0 Software Development Kit

I'm tying to install/compile 57.2

dotnet build

Time Elapsed 00:00:01.09
I doubt I commented on the wrong thread since it cant find net 4.8, which is .Net Framework / mono, as I mentioned

---

Also cant find any general mentioning of the older mono 6.8 to have trouble, but 6.12 is the last stable release of mono

Last edited:
Back