Anyone remember what that client was? I mean before we were limited on rides, animations and all of the above? If someone was to go back to said client and add all the new tiles, animations, would it work? would boats still be possible? been pondering these questions for some time now.

It's a big undertaking if you try it on that scale. The older clients have fewer empty spots so you wouldn't have enough room to add everything from the latest client. Movable multis (like boats) would be beyond anything I've tried. I inserted new artwork and mobiles into 7.0.7.1 for the Whispering Pines shard but it's still running RunUO. In fact, it's so old (RC1) that it couldn't run this client without many edits to the core, but I made it work! I also replaced the Fel map with a Darkshard map which took some doing. The game designers never considered that Tram and Fel would ever be two different maps. I'm sure 7.0.7.1 isn't the final MUL-based client but it's close. It'll give you TerMur support but not High Seas or later content.

I'm tinkering with my own shard now and I decided to pass on the customs this time. It was a tough choice but there is so much more to work with here that I don't feel like it's a limitation anymore. There are plenty of good shards already that work hard on staying with the current release so I've decided to pick one "moment" and really polish it instead. Even without custom art and mobiles I'm tinkering with dropping in the UOP files from later clients so I can have the newer items to work with without having to adopt the major changes in the client and its gameplay.

Falkor, thanks for dropping a line! I was thinking it would be a massive under taking and with the new ships and whatnot that it may have a client issue at that point. I guess ill just have to replace anims i wouldnt use in game with my own like ive been doing (the 3d anims are terrible lol) i have yet to crack the UOPs though and i wish we had a way to start replacing those and utilize that file system.. maybe one day if some programmers get that UO itch and wanna start jumping in on it again!

7.0.23 is the last mul client. 7.0.20 is generally regarded as the most stable Mul client. I think it's the 7.0.7 series and previous that let you easily add custom mounts.

Thank you Anon. Do we even have a link to those clients anymore since Broadsword bought Ultima? It's getting harder and harder to find set in stone clients and muls these days..

Anon, when we talk about 7.0.20, is that Renaissance, AOS, ML? i cant even remember right now.. i know with each expansion, the client versions started over.

The client versions just keep on climbing with each new patch and era, at least as long as you stick with the classic client. The Kingdom Reborn client is ended and the Enhanced Client has its own version numbers.

This list will show you when each version was released and the era it covered. Note that after High Seas is the current Time of Legends.

http://www.uoguide.com/List_of_Classic_Client_Patches

The client versions just keep on climbing with each new patch and era, at least as long as you stick with the classic client. The Kingdom Reborn client is ended and the Enhanced Client has its own version numbers.

This list will show you when each version was released and the era it covered. Note that after High Seas is the current Time of Legends.

http://www.uoguide.com/List_of_Classic_Client_Patches
Oh gotcha.. I thought they reset once a new expansion came out.. thanks for the list!

It's a big undertaking if you try it on that scale. The older clients have fewer empty spots so you wouldn't have enough room to add everything from the latest client. Movable multis (like boats) would be beyond anything I've tried. I inserted new artwork and mobiles into 7.0.7.1 for the Whispering Pines shard but it's still running RunUO. In fact, it's so old (RC1) that it couldn't run this client without many edits to the core, but I made it work! I also replaced the Fel map with a Darkshard map which took some doing. The game designers never considered that Tram and Fel would ever be two different maps. I'm sure 7.0.7.1 isn't the final MUL-based client but it's close. It'll give you TerMur support but not High Seas or later content.

I'm tinkering with my own shard now and I decided to pass on the customs this time. It was a tough choice but there is so much more to work with here that I don't feel like it's a limitation anymore. There are plenty of good shards already that work hard on staying with the current release so I've decided to pick one "moment" and really polish it instead. Even without custom art and mobiles I'm tinkering with dropping in the UOP files from later clients so I can have the newer items to work with without having to adopt the major changes in the client and its gameplay.
what we that use custom maps need is a monster that roams the world droping xml spawners. what a pain those are..
and the original felucca map was to give pvp a chance.

Back