Hello there,

As I see it, I'm one of the many guys here who prefer the pre-AoS (actually even pre-UOR) style of Ultima.
I spent a lot of time in UO in early 2000s, though I must confess I've never played on the official servers (this may as well be the reason for my preference, I know).

It is only free/unofficial/emulated shards that can take one back to that era now. However, when I recently wanted to recall the memories of old, I couldn't find a local shard which would meet my expectations. Some are too OSI-style, some have gone too far from the original idea, and some have just gone. Well, it is then that I realized I was old enough to exercise in worlds creation.

I know that Sphere or POL are basically better choices for an old era shard. Though even in their advanced state they have their usual disadvantages. Moreover I wouldn't bother learning something with such a narrow area of appliance. RunUO would be a good option, but it is rather dead than alive now. Unlike its predecessor, ServUO is still actively developed and has a powerful community around it, which is de-facto the most live and mature among many dedicated to UO server emulation.

For me this is also an opportunity to gain experience with yet another real programming language (I've never tried C# before, despite my many years in IT).

Ironically enough the end of support for older eras was announced shortly after my coming :) I do realize though that already in its present state ServUO is way more friendly to the new UO style. Well, the more exciting is the challenge. I'm sure that'll be a great experience in any case.

See you on the forums!

Back