I posted over on the UO sub on Reddit but thought I might get more responses here.

I'm looking for an architect/decorator/landscape gardener to be unleashed on my shard and create whatever they desire. I can, of course, provide limitless funds and resources.

I think it could be fun.

Last edited:
Quite the ambition since your original intent was a single user shard.

Quite the ambition since your original intent was a single user shard.

HOOKED! Loving it.

It's a slippery slope for sure. As soon as you see a functioning UO world that people could connect to, you start wanting them to do so. Adding players adds a whole level of complexity though. Now you're scripting and answering questions and trying to fulfill requests. It's kind of like the movie Bruce Almighty where Jim Carrey could hear everyone's thoughts at once. Then there are the players who join just to be a thorn in the side of other players, and the ones who are just there to see if they can exploit something you added.

I've been working on a "maybe one day public" shard for a year now. I've got some custom tweaks but I wanted them fully integrated to feel like they've always been part of UO. I'm approaching it with 8+ years experience of admining another shard and I'm sure I haven't seen everything yet. People will surprise you!

It's a slippery slope for sure. As soon as you see a functioning UO world that people could connect to, you start wanting them to do so. Adding players adds a whole level of complexity though. Now you're scripting and answering questions and trying to fulfill requests. It's kind of like the movie Bruce Almighty where Jim Carrey could hear everyone's thoughts at once. Then there are the players who join just to be a thorn in the side of other players, and the ones who are just there to see if they can exploit something you added.

I've been working on a "maybe one day public" shard for a year now. I've got some custom tweaks but I wanted them fully integrated to feel like they've always been part of UO. I'm approaching it with 8+ years experience of admining another shard and I'm sure I haven't seen everything yet. People will surprise you!

You're quite right of course. I don't intend to massively promote my shard. I want it to be fun, not a second job. As for people surprising me, it happens every time I need help with ServUO issue. Fast, friendly responses.

Back