How big would you say each UO tile is compared to RL (real life)? I would like to get an idea for more realistic addons/maps. I was thinking each tile would be 12"-18" squared, what do y'all think?

For perspective, I believe eyeline is roughly 12z, if an avatar is planted at 0z. At least I'm fairly certain thats what Courageous' True LOS system uses, I'd have to check to be 100%.

Since an avatar doesn't take up the full tile visually, I'd personally peg each tile at more like 24" squared, thought 18" could work. A foot might be a little low though - obviously this is all my personal opinion. I wonder if an OSI/EA/Mythic dev ever answered such a question?

The average foot size is roughly 7"-10". So by the looks of it you should be roughly on target with 12"-18". But you might want to play around with sizes first.

This is actually a good question to be asking. If the Avatar is yay big then imagine how large a daemon is! wow!
Seriously though when I try to do graphics this is a question i often ask myself. How large is the player, how large is the world around said player, could a player really be able to carry something that is 10 times larger then them?

I would love to see this question get scientifically explored better, I don't have the patience to do such math and geometry at the moment.
Because remember the world of UO is at a 45 degree angle with an isometric camera.

The average foot size is roughly 7"-10". So by the looks of it you should be roughly on target with 12"-18". But you might want to play around with sizes first.

So, each IG tile would be roughly equal to a 12"x12" tile or maybe a 18"x18" tile. The reason I'm asking is because I'm using blueprints to make a map/addon. LOL

@Ravenwolfe

Yep! I'm a total geek! :p Ya know the difference between a geek and a nerd? A nerd is just book-smart, a geek get's their hands dirty making it all happen. ;)

Back