any tutorials on how to upgrade server to include flying mounts and publish 55.1 ...i have messed up my server 4 times trying to merge it lol good thing i made a copy of it...i tryed it with beyond compare but im not sure what to move from my server to publish 55.1...any help would be greatly appreciated...im new and have learned quiet a bit but this one has me stumped

any tutorials on how to upgrade server to include flying mounts and publish 55.1 ...i have messed up my server 4 times trying to merge it lol good thing i made a copy of it...i tryed it with beyond compare but im not sure what to move from my server to publish 55.1...any help would be greatly appreciated...im new and have learned quiet a bit but this one has me stumped

This is a pretty common request, and the method is the same for anyone essentially, but the amount of works depends on how old your server is usually.

You have the right idea using BeyondCompare. You would just download the latest ServUO and then do a folder compare of that and your server. It should list out every file that is different. You would then go down the list for each file one by one and merge the changes. Tedious work for sure.

I see this same request a lot and have the knowledge myself to make a tutorial on it, but I have reservations about doing so since every server is different with custom scripts and changes; there would probably be a LOT of "I followed the tutorial but xyz error is still happening".

youre probably right about the requests lol last night i took the publish 55.1 folder and then my server is fairly new jsut me and wife plays on it for now but i took the saves folder from my server and copyed it over into the publish 55 server and complied it and it ran and all my accounts and characters was there...i read somewere that this was another way of doing it is this ok to do it that way and will i have the publish 55.1 release by doin it that way....what i mean is will the changes still be there by me copying the contents of my saves folder over to publish 55.1

youre probably right about the requests lol last night i took the publish 55.1 folder and then my server is fairly new jsut me and wife plays on it for now but i took the saves folder from my server and copyed it over into the publish 55 server and complied it and it ran and all my accounts and characters was there...i read somewere that this was another way of doing it is this ok to do it that way and will i have the publish 55.1 release by doin it that way....what i mean is will the changes still be there by me copying the contents of my saves folder over to publish 55.1
You can sometimes transfer over the saves folder just fine to a new publish. If you didn't do any custom changes/scripts to your server then you may often be able to do this without much issue. I would say if you continue to just play with the base ServUO build and don't add custom scripts, it would be OK to keep updating your server this way (obviously keep backups before any update).

As long as you downloaded the new publish and just copied over your saves folder and loaded it up, you have the new publish. If you logged in and your character/items were still there, then your in-game changes are still there.

I will add one last thing -- if you're at the point where you're only using the base ServUO build currently without any custom changes but want the freedom and ability to add custom scripts later, now is a really good time to setup your server with Git and create a fork. I will admit it has a bit of learning curve at first using Git, and I would suggest the software GitExtensions or SourceTree if you decide to go that route. Setting up your server with Git has a two-fold advantage:

A) It will make it very easy to update your server to the latest build any time new additions are made to ServUO
B) It will allow you the ability to still easily do A) while adding custom scripts/changes to your server.

i tyed the git yesterday and didnt have much luck i couldnt get it to pull the last revision but i will keep trying thats how we learn
Thank you for youre help i appreciate it
I dont have any custom scripts just changes to stats and server info like account per ip and simple stuff for now
Again thank you for youre help ill learn it eventually
Servo is a great server i love it and it seems to be very close to officlail from what i can remember

i tyed the git yesterday and didnt have much luck i couldnt get it to pull the last revision but i will keep trying thats how we learn
Thank you for youre help i appreciate it
I dont have any custom scripts just changes to stats and server info like account per ip and simple stuff for now
Again thank you for youre help ill learn it eventually
Servo is a great server i love it and it seems to be very close to officlail from what i can remember
For some reason I thought there was a tutorial already on how to use Git to create a ServUO fork, but the only one I saw when I glanced in the tutorial section was creating a repository from an existing server (which is not the same thing). I'm probably not the best person to create said tutorial but I would be willing to do it. I'm currently recovering from surgery and have a bit of time on my hands, although my energy level is low at the moment. Perhaps in the coming week or two if I'm feeling more up to it I will create a tutorial on how to start ServUO with Git and merge upstream changes. This would at least give a basis for people to start their servers and also keep them up to date.

For some reason I thought there was a tutorial already on how to use Git to create a ServUO fork, but the only one I saw when I glanced in the tutorial section was creating a repository from an existing server (which is not the same thing). I'm probably not the best person to create said tutorial but I would be willing to do it. I'm currently recovering from surgery and have a bit of time on my hands, although my energy level is low at the moment. Perhaps in the coming week or two if I'm feeling more up to it I will create a tutorial on how to start ServUO with Git and merge upstream changes. This would at least give a basis for people to start their servers and also keep them up to date.
Thank You Hope you get feeling better soon

Back