Hi everyone,

it's being a long time since I logged in here, and I see that the official UO is lacking "important" updates for a long time.

I see that ServUO dropped old expansions support in order to focus the development effort to the latest features.
I see also that there is a new .NET shard emulator in development (ModernUO) that aims to implements a server from scratch with the latest .NET updates, that is maintained only by one person.

Leaving apart the "flash in the pan" old RunUO site, I was thinking about to merge the development effort between these multiple RunUO derived "distros" and trying to build a server with the latest .NET updates that is more focus to a pluggable core instead of a monolithic Core+Scripts in order to create a lightweight emulator that can be used for a single expansion/client version at time, but not limited to a specific version, that can replace many of their core and script system (like game saving, packet handling, and every custom script system).

With the stable release of ClassicUO also it's possible to definitely develop a full indipendent game (client + server) that is graphically similar to UO and that is able to evolve separately also on client side.

What do you think about these thoughts?

Let's talk about it!

Welcome back, it really has been a long time!

If you really want to add to the pile of emulators, no one is gonna stop you, but if you dedicate to it, it's a long-term responsibility :p

ServUO is still in active development with the up-coming Publish58 release which aims to restore a lot of the lost support.

The purpose of my post was exactly the opposite: there are already two RunUO derived emulators (ServUO and ModernUO) that are in active development with differences and similarities.

Personally I'm not interested in a development of an exact OSI clone, like RunUO and ServUO are on the script side, but in my opinion the emulator can be lightened and modernized with the last .NET updates, and a more pluggability can guarantee a better maintainability in a long time.
I don't know why many shard are almost an exact OSI clone in other countries (in my country there are almost no OSI clones btw) and why the effort is focused onto the OSI feature emulation.

The idea was to merge the effort on one direction, but I prefer to know if this (an "agnostic" emulator) is a relative common goal or not.

Thanks for the answer, although maybe a little too "drastic" :D
Maybe you have already tried this path with ModernUO without success, or anyway you have your reasons to not try.

Back