Aright, so back in I believe 2005 we got this lovely client called PlayUO by Krrios that lasted for a short period of time. This client was able to be used without the Sallos server.

Ok, so you're thinking... Here we go again, another person that wants to get the old PlayUO client to work with contemporary software. No, not the case.

My concern lies with the "smooth movement" option that this client introduced. I can care a less about anything else it has to offer.

After scouring the web for countless hours, even jumping on Wayback Machine I have found nothing that has answered my question. All I find are discussions pertaining to boats or how to get the client to work.

Here are my current questions:
  • Why has this option not be implemented by EA or any other 3rd party utilities?
  • How was this smooth movement achieved by Krrios?
  • Does it involve any sort of speed hacking?
  • Is character smooth movement anything similar to the way boat smooth movement works?

Tbh, I have attempted to disassembled the PlayUO Beta 13 client in hope of finding any useful information, however, I need a little direction so that I can find exactly what I'm looking for. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You!

Last edited:
This is an old thread, but I have to bump it.

My Goal: Get a usable client that uses the old graphics but has the smooth movement feature that Krrios had. It would also be nice to have access to more customization. Essence UCS does just that, but it's not open to the public.

Anything new in the past couple of years that I've missed?

Why has this option not be implemented by EA or any other 3rd party utilities?
Because UO developers don't whant to support classic client, they even can't add new resolutions to client for many years, why? It seems, simply they don't whant to support it scine middle of 2000.

How was this smooth movement achieved by Krrios?
In fact classic client have 10 fps, thats why movment not smooth, increasing FPS solve problem. Whithout it running on horse player will move over whole tile each frame update and it will look trumble.

Does it involve any sort of speed hacking?
Not, thow well known easy ways to increase FPS in classic client in some way work like SpeedHack, thats why there fast playing animation and so on appears. I made much more better aproach without such problems.

Is character smooth movement anything similar to the way boat smooth movement works?
No, moving is client work. Boat smooth movment just can't be done without extending protocol as you have to move boat and evryone and evrything on it, thats why to do it without adding new packets was impossible.

There's that Ultima XNA project that replicate UO's client, that is open sourced as far as i can remember.
Maybe this feature was implemented, or the fps could be configurable.

I am not sure if somebody is still working on Ultima XNA.... There was another client project: Flourescence...

Actually smooth movement is a big thing, but also some other stuff would be nice to have (But you need a new client for this): Shaders, particle effects, Transparent or Translucent arts, way more gump layers, increased file size (up to 0xffff). I guess most of this is available with UltimaCS...
I cannot do any programming, otherwise I would be glad to spend my free time on a new client...It is urgently needed...

Flourescence was promising project, but it was closed.

As for shaders friendly speaking I don't very like such thing, its style mess when you combine pixel-art and modern visualisation effects, so ither redraw all tiles and art to make them smooth and high detail for using with such effects based on shaders or to use old style aproach for pixel art graphics. Thow as for transparent I can agree, at least for UI.

Spin added a simple shader to his client, I really think this looks nice.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and also the particle effects:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Maybe there is a chance to get something like this in UO. I know very well that one can achieve a very nice world by doing only 2D art, but anyway it would be cool to have stuff like this aswell. It doesn't have to be extreme like shaders everywhere, but some stuff could be nice.
For example the rain animation looks like shit, also the snow and stuff. It would be cool if there is rain to have some puddles on the streets and maybe some snow on the roofs (Would be a dynamic adding of snow roof tiles fitting to every tile+1 in height- maybe a pain in the ass^^). Anyway, stuff like footsteps in the snow and such wold be amazing without killing the performance of the server. i would be willing to give the graphics for this if needed :)

It would be cool to have a sort of open source MMORP engine made in unity or whatever, with everything done from scratch to include custom shaders and stuff to make UO look like a more modern/better diablo3. Granted this would take a ton of skill time and effort, I'm still working on the database system and I get bored just thinking about how tedious it is, although I might just do part of it and leave it to someone else to finish or just slowly do parts of it at a time.

Back