Before I waste anybodies time by asking a lot of questions I wanted to see if there is a possibility that any support is offered UO servers running on the POL core.

Thanks for your time :)!

We don't discriminate on your server preference, if we can help we will. That being said, I'm not sure how many folks here have POL experience.

There are specific projects I am interested in pursuing that involve creation of a siege system (for conquering), mayor system (for player-managed cities), trade system (PC city to PC city and PC city to NPC city), city allegiance system, city-boundary system, universal IG player influenced economy (similar to Eve online), and a religion system (more of a heavily customized faction system) with automation features or player managed elements.

From what I understand, the only limitation to development is one's imagination (or ability to implement) and I would like get some feedback on the difficulties involved in these efforts and possible pitfalls to avoid.

Hey Zgamerman I was involved with a really long running POL server.

It has a lot of features which make it easy to customise with years of work from amazing people made a great role play server. However unless you are a pretty good coder or know one, I am not sure its the platform to start on with a project.

Very few people willing/able to code in E-script. Those who could easily learn can find most needed guidance at https://www.polserver.com/
You might get lucky and find someone here who has past experience. However the majority of the forum would find it incredibly different to servuo.

Sadly I am not very talented on the code front, so I cannot offer much or any real help with the deeper customisation of POL.

I suppose this is not much help, but unless you have got a POL based shard that is 90% complete or in some other way amazing.
I am not sure I would start using it now over:
RUNUO (defunct or not a lot of resources still exist)
ServUO more aimed to emulation of vanilla UO but with a growing and active community.

With that said, POL community maybe really busy these days, I have been out of touch for a long time. However if your set on POL then their community would be the place to seek proper help.

Thanks for the feedback. What programming language is ServUO based on? Als, is VanillaUO a reference to the original release of UO?

ServUO code is written in C# which is infinitely more widely used in the real world, as such more people can work with it and debatably more contribute to the project.
Spot on vanilla uo = direct emulation, apologies for that :) However there are many resources to customise ServUO and its not all that different from RunUO (arguably the most successful custom server emulator).

I suppose end answer is, if your set on POL you should seek help from that community. However, if you have the coding ability or are willing to learn you can find as much help here with customising as well. Both amazing projects, I just suspect ServUO is moving along faster these days.

I'm running a POL server based on POL99 official script and a ServUO server based on latest ServUO, I'd like to say, POL is more easy to script ,and less script resource to find on internet,and almost stopped for many years, but RUNUO is more powerful, and more resource.

Resurrecting POL? I looked at the code for POL and from what I saw it shouldn't be too difficult to learn. The fundamentals are the same between what we're doing here and the code used in POL. What amazes me is that for each item you have to install a package that contains multiple files, whereas with RunUO/ ServUO you really only have 1 script per item unless you're using a single base script or shared file like the playermobile.cs.

With that said, I don't see why you'd want to go with POL. You could probably make your RunUO/ ServUO server very POL-esq with less the work and a lot more support. Just a thought.

Back