I've been a low-key developer in UO for a shard that was always more of a personal project between friends, than anything else. As it stands it turned into something that both the owner and myself a very proud of. And it was his suggestion that I dip my toe into freelance work in UO. Since he recognised that I was a creative force and world-builder within our own shard and had an aptitude for many things (XML, design, creative writing, artistic flair and so on). Including the capacity to carry out very large projects on my own.

However, my experience of this has not been positive.

My departure from UO for the last 3 months was due in part to one very negative experience where:
  • An owner of a very successful shard 'hired' me.
  • I talked myself into doing it for free, but was left no option to renegotiate/ignored outright.
  • They designated me with staff powers that meant I was reliant on a person who didn't even know how to save XMLdialog properly, which led to losing hours of work and also track of where the project was.
  • 30-40 hours in total were put into two projects. ( A lot of this dead time, due to his inability to save my work)
  • 80% completion of the epic quest - and another fully automated. My requests for renegotiation or even to save my work was still falling of deaf ears.

And at this point I walked away from it. It was disheartening to know that this owner did not value the effort nor quality of the content I was creating for them. More so, that they felt it perfectly fine to offer nothing for it, beyond "it being great advertisement for my work" Despite this shard having a very profitable income from donations.

To me, this is unscrupulous and dishonest behavior. What made it even worse, is that when they did release. They claimed 100% credit for my work, made a minor post of it on Reddit even. Plus, to make matters more insulting, I also appear no longer to be able access/register their forums either.

I have no idea how much they were able to cobble together from what I left in their hands. But, I was outraged by this behavior, to the point where I left UO altogether.

But here's my main issue:

We have a dying game and this sort of attitude feels to be endemic. Granted, UO will never truly die, but the fact that someone is willing to commit skulduggery of this magnitude to fresh new talent was disheartening eye-opener to the state of UO today. The cherry on the cake of many things that we as a community could counter and minimalise, with a little co-operation and support.

Things such as:

• Server core theft (code/script/content)
  • Ram-raiding forums and shards to steal player-basis (If you have people turbo-spamming on your behalf, you as shard owner can counter this, by clearly stating that this is not accepted behaviour. I've seen way too many people was their hands of this because they say "it wasn't them.")
  • Excessively aggressive competitive behaviour (Muck-raking/Shard-smearing in public forums)

These are actions that are distressingly common. All you have to do is go to Reddit/the UO fan page on Facebook and you'll see some atrociously unprofessional behavior. Some of whom have gone way over the line in their drive to be 'a successful shard' The fact is, this mindset is corrosive to the future of UO and it is not a sustainable way to ensure it's survival. We have some great shards out there, some big, some small. There is mind-blowing depth of skill, talent and creativity. And there's no reason why we, at ServUO, can't take try to these positives and constructively counter these problems and build something worthy of what is still one of the best and father of all MMORPGs.

I think the UO community learns pretty quick which server's are "business based", yes it takes funds to run a large server but...at the same time any one who helps the server should receive credit due for what they have done to help them "grow". This would leave a bitter taste for sure enough to walk away (which I'm happy you did) . With huge donations there is no reason why they couldn't offer a sum of dollars since you were helping to build their server for something which they could "never accomplish". Now I know also there are many server's who don't work this way and are always right there to say Thank You! The sentence of being known from them with your builds is crazy, because lets face it, with all the different UO Forums around you could post pictures of your work. Greedy is the word which appears for those server's who take all credit :/

I have actually found out this the hard way myself aswel Mog.

I will openly admit im not the best developer around but i have spent many hours creating scripts and systems for shard owners ive worked for in the past. Only to see them shut the shard down open it under a new name and take the credit for themselves. Glady enough there efforts have failed due to the fact they have no idea on how to run or manage a shard.

It is sad to see that people can't even thank people for the hard work that they do. I currently have a small dev team for my shard which is in development and why the guys i am working with are not the most skilled I do thank them for the efforts they put in even if its not to the spec i've desired. No matter how small a project is it still takes time that we could all use for something else. Thats why i find myself being over thankful in some circumstances.

I am sorry to hear about what has happened to you and i hope it doesn't put you off UO for good. Ive seen the StarWars stuff you did on The Expanse and i must say its some of the best work ive seen in a long time. Would hate to see a talent like yours part ways with the freeshard community

I have actually found out this the hard way myself aswel Mog.

I will openly admit im not the best developer around but i have spent many hours creating scripts and systems for shard owners ive worked for in the past. Only to see them shut the shard down open it under a new name and take the credit for themselves. Glady enough there efforts have failed due to the fact they have no idea on how to run or manage a shard.

It is sad to see that people can't even thank people for the hard work that they do. I currently have a small dev team for my shard which is in development and why the guys i am working with are not the most skilled I do thank them for the efforts they put in even if its not to the spec i've desired. No matter how small a project is it still takes time that we could all use for something else. Thats why i find myself being over thankful in some circumstances.

I am sorry to hear about what has happened to you and i hope it doesn't put you off UO for good. Ive seen the StarWars stuff you did on The Expanse and i must say its some of the best work ive seen in a long time. Would hate to see a talent like yours part ways with the freeshard community
If he tries to take off again, I'm getting a ticket to the UK to kick his ass for sure! :p LOL
I can't begin to express what a joy its been getting to know a lot of people around the community over the years. Mog is one of the great ones :)

That being said, I understand the frustration people are faced with when it comes to doing work for others and be blown off. I think that's part of the reason I went out on my own with a shard years ago (that may be the reason why others have done so as well). I'm all for supporting the community that got all our feet wet with freeshards, whether its here, RunUO, Orbsydia, CraftUO, POL, etc. By and large, I think we're all here for the same thing, to carry on where EA/Mythic/Broadsword dropped the ball and continue to enjoy a game that set the bar initially for MMOs.

If he tries to take off again, I'm getting a ticket to the UK to kick his ass for sure! :p LOL
I can't begin to express what a joy its been getting to know a lot of people around the community over the years. Mog is one of the great ones :)

Don't waste your money on a plane ticket.. Im from UK so give me some money and ill kick his ass for you. Unless of course you want the pleasure of doing it yourself..

Im in the same boat as you aswel Tass ive decided to stop working for other people and go out on my own. Atleast this way i don't have to worry about people taking advantage of my work and im able to do things the way i want them done without worrying about someone else complaining lol.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks or months UODecoded will be on a freeshard list near you.

Thanks, Omni and Tass - it's reassuring that the work I've help create is appreciated. However, I feel I misplaced the focus of my original post. My experience was certainly an issue I felt needed to be aired, but my greater interest is how to combat the latter 'bad behaviour' of some of those involved in the development/shard owning side of things.

To respond to Milva, also. As always, I value your wisdom and kind words of support, but I certainly wouldn't accuse these individuals of being 'business based' - these individuals outright profiteer, plunder and parasitize, or all out smash and grab for profit. Many of their shards become smoldering ruins after a while, then they move on to repeat the process again (Often dragging their unwitting players with them.) It isn't sustainable and harms the future of the game itself, in the long run. What's more, the fact that they will and do take ownership of work that clearly isn't theirs (Including the vast depths of custom work freely available on RunUO and ServUO ) is unacceptable. Yes, this is a free-source community, but creativity can only be stifled, if everyone has to work in fear of being screwed over. (Particularly, those who are relatively new to scene.)

All I'm suggesting is that as a community that there could easily be repercussions for carrying on in this way. These people are running UO into the ground with their rampant and inconsiderate behavior - it's a serious and destructive presence that taints the freeshard community.

Also, with regards to the ass-kickings - bring it. :p lol

Strike back by releasing your code publically. It tends to make anyone claiming your work look stupid (especially if they cant code).

That had occurred to me, and I will but not not until I've completed the project. It wasn't even that complex, the only real issue was that my XMLdialogues were getting periodically wiped due to their inability to use the save command. I do think it'd be a nice XML tutorial on how to make a mini-champ (Or in this case, eight of them), however.

I'm sorry to hear this. There are a lot of shady shard owners out there. I strongly feel that we need to all support each other as a community otherwise the freeshard community will have no future. We've seen it over the years. Shards come and go and the pool of players and Devs continue to dwindle. Stuff like this doesn't bode well for the community.

If it weren't for the folks here at ServUO, I wouldn't know half of the stuff that I know about XML spawners. I feel like I have a pretty solid grasp on how to utilize XML, but I've seen a true master work their magic before. The community will realize eventually the shard is full of shit when they have these beautifully crafted mini champ spawns and the rest of their spawns are shoddy and half baked.

Super sorry to hear about your situation Mogster. There are some rotten apples out there for sure, they really ruins it for everyone. I agree with Ravenwolfe, make all your work public so that shard cant benefit from your work.

I've seen my fair share of sketch behavior. Best to be careful in everything you do, get payed first if you are offering a service (demo stuff of a test shard before hand). Shady folk aside there are also really awesome people out there that do help and share knowledge.

I think there are more well-intentioned people out there than not. Noone likes an ashole, and what you have described seems to fit that definition. Anyone can be flashy and get a few users, but after the flash powder disipates and they see what is left, they will realize that the shard is crap. They did theirselves a disfavour by not keeping you on. Yes, they may benefit for the short-term on the back of your work but they will lose out in the long run when the players get tired of a well-worn system, without any means to build another system as good or better. ServUO and RunUO are proof enough that there are better people out there!

@ Sorthious

It was one of the bigger shards that did this. Personally, I found the place to be a ramshackle cookie cutter mess but one thing was clear, not one person there knew xml. One of the quests I automated previously had to rely on handing 8 pirate items to a staff member. I was shocked by that tbh , but as long as they keep buying the top shardlisting spots people will think it's a well run place

@Mogster, there aren't too many people left in the community and if that shard can't keep the players happy they will eventually leave to find something more appealing. So, they finish the quest by having a staff member take the 8 items? LOL Yep, things like that will show the players how disorganized they are!

Back