I was doing some research for my 'shard project and in doing so, happened across this graphic from UOX's website. This is the first time I have ever seen the history of freeshards from the initial launch of UO.

Yes, ServUO is listed there too, ForkUO, JustUO....this is a pretty comprehensive list. Kudos to Xuri!

Attachments

• uo_emu_history_tendrils.png
    uo_emu_history_tendrils.png
    235.5 KB · Views: 45
Very nice, I never realized there where so many!
That was my reaction too.
A fellow dragon wrote two books about Ultima and UO called "Through the Moongate" (Part 1 - Amazon.com: Through the Moongate. The Story of Richard Garriott, Origin Systems Inc. and Ultima: Part 1 - From Akalabeth to Ultima VI eBook : Contato, Andrea, Loubet, Denis, Ricciardi, Enrico, Przygienda, Andreas, McGeachie, Ellouise: Kindle Store, Part 2 - Amazon.com: Through the Moongate. The Story of Richard Garriott, Origin Systems Inc. and Ultima: Part 2 – From Wing Commander and Ultima VII to Portalarium eBook : Contato, Andrea, Manda, Manda, Ricciardi, Enrico, Vitralis, Edward: Kindle Store ) and it chronicles the life of Ultima from Akalabeth through the launch of Ultima Online in 1997. It is really interesting reading and I did not know that UOX is what started the freeshard community (Fuse was there too, but UOX made it first). Funny to see how far into the history [we] are too, considering some of already feel like we have been around since the forgotten days :p:cool:

If I remember correctly, RunUO originated from the UOX community (or at least one of the forks of UOX).

I first started with Fuse, then went to UOX, then went to Sphere, then POL, and finally RunUO/ServUO. I'm old. :p

Back