Hi everyone!

Played UO back in 97, recently got back into it.

I was made aware of ServUO (and Ultima Odyssey) only a couple of days ago.

I would like to create and host my own server for me and my other grayhaired :) friends.

But I can't find a concise guide to do so anywhere.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
It is in the zip file. You posted twice here and once on Reddit. Did you not read the README in the zip file download?

First of all, I apologize for the multiple posts - I'm gonna blame it on my age LOL

To your question, yes I did read the readme and I still can't get it working.

Attached are a couple of screenshots - one of the error message I get when it crashes and one (partial) of my directory structure.

I downloaded both the server zip file and the Odyssey client.

I then extracted the contents of the server zip file into C:\UO.

Following that, I extracted the Client folder contained in the zip of the Odyssey client into that folder.

I then ran the Odyssey executable and received the attached error message.

I also edited the Datapath.CS file to reflect the actual location of UO (not in the Program Files directory but off the main root).

That did not change the outcome.

Thanks for any guidance you could provide.

Steve

Attachments

• UO Odyssey crash.PNG
    UO Odyssey crash.PNG
    48 KB · Views: 42
  • UO Odyssey directory structure.PNG
    UO Odyssey directory structure.PNG
    94 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Let's go through the documentation here since I see you are using the C:\ drive for this stuff...

First of all, delete the entire C:\UO folder and start over. Delete your UltimaOdyssey.zip file and download a fresh one because I fixed something today and another issue in the README that may have caused your issue.

Then the instructions state to extract the UltimaOdyssey.zip onto the C:\ drive. This should then leave you with a C:\UO folder.

Go into C:\UO and run Odyssey.exe. Once you see a message like "CC Initialized...Cleanup: Detected XXX inaccessible items, removing.." then your server is up and running.

SERVER SETUP COMPLETE...NOW THE CLIENT...

Delete any clients you have except "ClassicUO.7z". If you do not have "ClassicUO.7z" go get it from here:

Once you download it, extract it (you may need to get 7zip) into your C:\UO directory. When that is done, you should have a folder "C:\UO\ClassicUO".

Go into "C:\UO\ClassicUO" and run "ClassicUO.exe".

USERNAME: Wizard
PASSWORD: admin

If you get logged in and can run around, then your client is working.

While you are logged in, run the [buildworld command by typing it in the text chat line and pressing ENTER.

The server will rebuild/refresh around you and tell you when it is complete.

Once that is done, log out of the Wizard account.

Then you can log in with an account and password of your choice and play. DO NOT log in as the Wizard account and play.

Thanks for the above.

I can only get as far, though, as unzipping UltimaOdyssey.zip to C:\UO (by extracting everything inside the Client folder into the C:\UO directory).

The reason I only get that far is there's no Odyssey.exe in the directory.

I have attached a screenshot indicating the executable files I do have access to.

And thanks again for this. Due to COVID, a buddy of a mine and I had who played at launch back in '97 have reconnected and started playing again.

When I became aware of your project, I thought it sounded perfect :)

Steve

Attachments

• executable files.PNG
    executable files.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 9
You are doing steps I did not tell you to do. Let's start again by deleting the C:\UO directory. Then extract UltimaOdyssey.zip to the C:\ drive so you have a C:\UO folder. Look in THAT folder and run the Odyssey.exe file. Don't do anything else until your server launches successfully.

Once you see a message like "CC Initialized...Cleanup: Detected XXX inaccessible items, removing.." then your server is up and running.

DO NOT even try getting a client to work yet as you need to master getting the server running first.

Hi again, Djeryv.

Thanks for your patience.

I thought I HAD deleted C:\UO and unzipped the right file but, to your point, I did NOT.

Anyway, I followed your steps exactly and it worked. Now to get multiplayer up and running!

Thanks again for this.

Attachments

• odyssey running.PNG
    odyssey running.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
So have been running around a bit. It's awesome. Except I left the server running for a few hours, logged back in and I can no longer talk to NPCs. Like I click on them once and their name comes up. If I double-click, I get their paper doll. Did I break something?

How did you get the server package then? Also, this thread really doesn't apply anymore to how updates are done or installed.

Back