Hey guys, this may be a newb question but I'm making a dungeon map. The one question I have is what the blank tiles fall under as far as altitude maps are concerned. Do they fall under land or other in color?

I'm not sure what you're asking...
Blank "black" tiles in UOLandscaper are for dungeon areas... as default they should be already applied to the bitmap when you make your templates. This is the "background you see surrounding your dungeon and cave caverns.

Blank "invisible" tiles by Otimpyre are also for dungeon areas... these are not default and should be added manually via centrED or replace the black area surrounding your dungeon/ cave caverns in the Terrain.xml that came with UOLandscaper (then it can be painted easily).

The difference between the two is that admin can walk on Otimpyre's invisible tiles; make hills and valleys for a cool affect that will confuse your players. The default blank tiles cannot be walked on: you need to teleport over them.

@gametec How is that UOL based map maker suite coming along?

Hey guys, this may be a newb question but I'm making a dungeon map. The one question I have is what the blank tiles fall under as far as altitude maps are concerned. Do they fall under land or other in color?

"Blank" is considered Land on the altitude bmp map.

One way you can test to find which terrain tiles(colors) use which altitude colors is to fire up NewMapImage.exe
Then in the drop down select the Default Terrain that you want to find the altitude type for.
So in this case we'd select [13] Blank & click Make Terrain/Altitude Image. (don't forget to give it a project name!)
This will automatically generate a altitude.bmp which you can then look at to see what type of attitude color it used!

You can also try passing your Terrain.bmp through the AltImagePrep.exe to see what is spit out.

(extra)
So on your dungeon map.. (LOL@gamtec)
I recommend you use a program that has layer capabilities. That way you can put your terrain map under or over your altitude map when working on the pixel colors. Thus to avoid mistakes and confusion on the land.
I would make a transparent layer above my terrain.bmp and draw in the altitude by hand. I'd then be sure to adjust around those area's if they're not at 0 altitude so that when you view it in game anything below 0 altitude doesn't have a ... black wall of sorts blocking your view of it. Then bucket fill the rest of the map at 0 altitude or what ever you wish to be honest.

I provided palettes for Gimp & Paint.net in this post if you don't already have a program you use primarily.
(I use gimp, it can be tricky to get a bitrate and such correct.)
https://www.servuo.com/threads/uo-landscaper-v1-4-x.2755/#post-21007

Last edited:
Back