I think it's almost hit or miss because of the flag(s) we can't see. It's a similar reason why we can't add new custom mounts (the hidden itemID we can't see in Fiddler).

Good to see I'm not the only one with the issue. I'm not real familiar with how the different AnimX.mul's work but was thinking maybe I can't just simply piggyback off of another animation. I've been trying to use Viking Sword(643) in Tiledata for the Animation. I can use that animation I think, but I believe I have to create a seperate(and unused) animation slot. I'm probably totally offbase here but I'm scrabbling for some way to make this work. Going to start doing more research and see if there is a way around this.

Edit: Ok, I have it partially working now. In Gump tab, I changed the slot from 50719 it to 50020. In Items tab, I moved the graphic from slot 42722 to 2001. Then, in the Tiledata tab I set AnimID to 20(-50000 from GumpArt#). Lastly, in Body.def I added the following: 20 {643} 0 (20 being GumpID - 50k, 643 is viking sword animation, and 0 for unhued item)

After this, the lightsaber displays on paperdoll, but there is no on-screen animation of the viking sword. In fact, the the animation looks like I'm fighting with my fists. I'm not sure what I'm now missing. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Ok, Looks like I have to start over. It appears that using 50020 won't work because If I use: 20 {643] 0 in Body.def that 20 is already in use. So, I'm a little confused as to what I'm looking for when trying to find an Empty slot in Anim.mul for use in referencing the 643 Animation(Viking sword.) From what I've been reading, if you wan't to use an existing animation(643) you have to reserve an animation slot and have that point to the animation you want to use. So, say that 941 was an empty slot, I would have it reference 643. I noticed that Dread Sword referenced 643 by doing this. It uses 50940 and the 940 slot in Anim.mul, and references 643. Anyway, in Animation Editor some entries are in Black and some Red. The red ones seem to never actually contain an animation, but some link to other animations. So, how do I tell if a Red slot is truly empty or just referencing another animation??? The obvious way would be to go cross reference Body.def and Bodyconv.def(as I understand it) to make sure they aren't being used there. Any help on clearing this up is appreciated...I'm really frustrated lol!

I think you need to be above 400 or so for equipped item animations. I always inserted after the backpack to be safe.

I'm definitely happy its sort of working though! Keep us posted.

Edit: Checking body.def or bodyconv.def would be a viable way to cross reference the empty slots. But you should be able to see any used slots in Fiddler in the animation tab, in the thumbnails..even if they're dupes.

Woohoo!!! I finally got it....for some reason UO does not like high Art.mul numbers. I used 42717 and it crashed the client every time. I found an empty slot finally(what a hassle!). So, I right-clicked on slot 1025 in Anim.mul(In Animation Editor) and then Imported the .VD for Viking Sword. Rebooted and now I have Lightsaber on my PD, and on-screen player carries viking sword. I'm still kinda vague on how the animation slots work but thats ok.

Now I have to go through and try to add the animations for the lightsaber....I know this will take some time to make, but as long as it's not the nightmare this was to implement I will be happy!! I'm stoked!

Thanks for the help again M309

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the way I did it I didn't have to modify Body.def or anything

I used slot 7191(0x1C17)..The first attempt was a slot over 40k. I don't know much about this whole process but I am guessing that maybe there is a hard cap on which Art slots can be used for animation. Maybe it's even capped based on High Low or Personal animations. I will be trying to add more animations, so I need to figure out where the cap is(if that is indeed the problem.) As far as the steps I took, it was simple.

**Edit** The first step you should take is to find an Empty slot..I did this manually going through slots in Anim.mul. If I found an empty one I proceeded from Anim2-5 to make sure nothing was linked to the empty slot I found. In addition, I crossreferenced Body.def and Bodyconv.def to make sure the "Empty" slot didn't appear in there. If it did, I repeated the search. Once you do find an Empty slot you need to use this number(plus 50k) for your Gumpart ID(Step 1.)

1.) Add Gump art to slot 51025.
2.) Add Art to Art.mul in slot 7191
3.) Edit TileData by designating 1025 for Anim, 1 for Quality(one-handed weapon) and selecting the following check boxes:
Wearable
Weapon
ArticleA
4.) Save all updated files: Gumpart.mul, Art.mul, Tiledata.mul
5.) Open Animation Edit under Animation Tab, choose Anim at the top left, scroll down till you find
the animation you want to use(in my case 643(viking sword)), then right click and Export to .VD file
6.) Find an Empty slot in Anim.mul, Right-click on it, then select Import from .VD, select the .VD file that you
saved from the previous step, lastly Save your work with the Misc button at the bottom of the screen.
7.) Copy/Paste all of the Gumpart, Art, Tiledata, and Anim files to your Client/Server.
8.) Create a script to accomodate your new item and use the Item ID that you used in Item Tab
for the scripted item.
9.) Reboot

That's all I did. I would rather have just linked my lightsaber to the 643animation, but I'm not quite sure how I was supposed to do that. I tried linking it in Body.def, Bodyconv.def, Gump.def and I also made an entry in Mobtypes.txt: 1025 EQUIPMENT 0. None of this worked to link 1025 to 643. Anyway, hope this helps someone to atleast get a few animations working.

Last edited:
Thank you for this great tutorial. I am trying to add some new hair styles/beards but running into a few issues.
  1. I tried to add my item graphics to the associated slots, but they won't "stick" after I save them in Fiddler. Does this matter if I never intend for them to be equip-able items? The new hair styles will be accessed by a new gump menu only.

2. I assigned the hair to existing animations in the Body.def file so they show up ingame. The additions look like this, for example:

716 {802} 0 #where 50716 is the associated gump.
    717 {801} 0
    718 {801} 0
    719 {801} 0
    720 {801} 0
    721 {802} 0
    722 {802} 0
    723 {802} 0
    724 {802} 0
    725 {801} 0
    726 {802} 0
    727 {701} 0
    728 {701} 0
    729 {701} 0

When I use [set hairitemid 50716, the hair appears on my paperdoll, but the animation doesn't appear on my ingame character.

3. When I log out, the hair disappears.
I am using client 7.0.15.1. Do I need to add the hair information to another file/client?
[doublepost=1531500361][/doublepost]I'm thinking I overlapped in some slots and that's the issue. I'll try again..

Thank you for this great tutorial. I am trying to add some new hair styles/beards but running into a few issues.
  1. I tried to add my item graphics to the associated slots, but they won't "stick" after I save them in Fiddler. Does this matter if I never intend for them to be equip-able items? The new hair styles will be accessed by a new gump menu only.

2. I assigned the hair to existing animations in the Body.def file so they show up ingame. The additions look like this, for example:

716 {802} 0 #where 50716 is the associated gump.
    717 {801} 0
    718 {801} 0
    719 {801} 0
    720 {801} 0
    721 {802} 0
    722 {802} 0
    723 {802} 0
    724 {802} 0
    725 {801} 0
    726 {802} 0
    727 {701} 0
    728 {701} 0
    729 {701} 0

When I use [set hairitemid 50716, the hair appears on my paperdoll, but the animation doesn't appear on my ingame character.

3. When I log out, the hair disappears.
I am using client 7.0.15.1. Do I need to add the hair information to another file/client?
[doublepost=1531500361][/doublepost]I'm thinking I overlapped in some slots and that's the issue. I'll try again..
Did you find why that doesn't work? same issue here

The newer clients will give you a hard time adding custom wearables, but it's not impossible.
You have to find an empty gump slot that works (not so many of them anymore). Once you find it, you use the method from this tutorial to associate an animation to the gump (each has it's own).
Then you create an itemID and specify the new animation in tiledata tab in UO Fiddler.

Most of the times you shouldn't need to edit any text file other than corpse.txt.
I have a lot of custom wearables on my shard and we're using 7.0.60.47. If you need further help, let me know.

If we have a new image in paperdol and want to use existing animation, as in the case of the Viking sword, it is not necessary to place the animation in a new position. Just edit the Equipconv.def file and set what race to dress on and assign it to the animation. Save space in animation files.

I have gone through this tutorial to add static items (walls, etc.), but I am missing something because I cannot get the new items to show up. Does anyone mind giving me some assistance to help me figure out what I'm missing?
[doublepost=1550521627][/doublepost]
I have gone through this tutorial to add static items (walls, etc.), but I am missing something because I cannot get the new items to show up. Does anyone mind giving me some assistance to help me figure out what I'm missing?

Here's what I have done:

1. Open UOFiddler and navigate to the Items tab.
2. Locate an unused slot, right-click the unused slot and choose Replace.
3. Choose the .bmp file and click OK.

I now see the image in the slot.

4. I right-click again and choose Save, which saves it to the C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\UoFiddler directory.
5. Now I navigate to the TileData tab and locate the newly imported image.
6. I locate a similar object (such as a stone wall) and give it the same attributes (weight, height, etc.).
7. I give it a friendly name.
8. Once I'm done, I click Save Data and Save Tiledata.
9. I now go to the directory outlined above and locate the art.mul, artidx.mul, and tiledata.mul files and copy them to my UO client directory, replacing the existing files.
10. I launch either CentrEd+ or the UO client and attempt to see my new graphics, but I do not.

This is where I'm stuck. I'm sure I'm missing something. Anyone able to give me a push? Thanks in advance!

And do you have the item programmed in ServUO? Or another emulator you use? Without it, it can not be inserted into the world.

[doublepost=1550521627][/doublepost]

Here's what I have done:

1. Open UOFiddler and navigate to the Items tab.
2. Locate an unused slot, right-click the unused slot and choose Replace.
3. Choose the .bmp file and click OK.

I now see the image in the slot.

4. I right-click again and choose Save, which saves it to the C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\UoFiddler directory.
5. Now I navigate to the TileData tab and locate the newly imported image.
6. I locate a similar object (such as a stone wall) and give it the same attributes (weight, height, etc.).
7. I give it a friendly name.
8. Once I'm done, I click Save Data and Save Tiledata.
9. I now go to the directory outlined above and locate the art.mul, artidx.mul, and tiledata.mul files and copy them to my UO client directory, replacing the existing files.
10. I launch either CentrEd+ or the UO client and attempt to see my new graphics, but I do not.

This is where I'm stuck. I'm sure I'm missing something. Anyone able to give me a push? Thanks in advance!

Is it a wearable? Some items in hand will look right on the paper doll , but will be standard in hand looking at the character top down without the custom image. I ran in to that problem.

Is it a wearable? Some items in hand will look right on the paper doll , but will be standard in hand looking at the character top down without the custom image. I ran in to that problem.

This can be resolved by editing the Equipconv.def file

@Metro, what client are you using?
Newer clients need those .mul files converted to .uop extension.
To do that you can use the LegacyMUL converter.

I've never used CentrED+, it migh be the same case. The classic CentrED uses .mul files.

@Piotr I am using the SA client so everything is still in .mul format. However, at this point I'm just trying to work with the new objects in CentrEd+. Although, I did fire up the client and I don't see them there either.

@TheDoc At this point, the items I'm trying to bring in are not wearables. I'm just trying to bring in building objects such as walls, etc.

Perhaps do I need to replace existing items with these new items instead of adding them to the .mul files in unused spaces?

I've got thousands (yes, thousands) of items placed in usused spaces and they all work fine, so this should not be a problem for you either.
Looking at your first post it seems that you're doing everything correctly... I can't say what's wrong here.

This may be an obvious tip, but have you made sure that all your directories are correct?
Also, once you move your saved .mul files from Fiddler to UO directory and launch Fiddler again, do you see those items there?

OK, double checked the path files and they are correct. When I reopen Fiddler, the items are there.

I'll keep looking around.

One more thing. Remember that you cannot add items in game by name if you're using RunUO or ServUO and the newly added items are not scripted. This is only something that POL allowed to do.

Check the Item ID of any object that you've added via Fiddler, go to your game, create any existing item ([add brimstone, for example) and then give it the ID of your own item by [set itemid 0xXXXX

However, if your new items don't appear in CED+, I don't know if it will work. Just an idea.
Let me know.

Thanks Piotr. I appreciate the help. I'll keep poking around and see if I can't get it working.
[doublepost=1550942913][/doublepost]@Piotr I have a question for you. When you're updating items into Fiddler, are you replacing the Unused tiles/objects or are you replacing actual in-game graphics?

I place all my new items in empty slots. When you go to the Items tab, right click on any item and choose "Show free slots".
It will take a while to load and it will show you empty slots that you can use. They will be displayed in red.

upload_2019-2-23_21-29-22.png

@Piotr Hey! That did it. I was replacing graphics into the Unused slots instead of the Free slots. That's where I guess I went wrong. Once I entered them into the Free slots, they showed up in CentrEd+.

Thanks for your help.

In CenterEd +, xml files can be edited to make the newly added items visible on new ID positions as well. You will find them in the Localdata folder. For items mainly the VirtualTiles.xml file.
He needs information about the new ID position, otherwise the new stuff will not appear.

Ehi guys, i have a strange problem, I add the custom wereable in the right mode, when i log in and add the item , i wear it all right, but when i log-out and log-in I can't see the item equipped, end on the layer "head" it's a custom cap, on the left side of the paperdoll where you can see the ring slot, earrings ecc, appears an CuShide miniature.. anyone know why?

Ehi guys, i have a strange problem, I add the custom wereable in the right mode, when i log in and add the item , i wear it all right, but when i log-out and log-in I can't see the item equipped, end on the layer "head" it's a custom cap, on the left side of the paperdoll where you can see the ring slot, earrings ecc, appears an CuShide miniature.. anyone know why?

Attachments

• 56765.png
    56765.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 67990.png
    67990.png
    184 KB · Views: 49
I bet you used an ItemID that is way too high.

What I learned from 7.0.15.1 (That is what I used) is that it is around the time that UOP files are used. So what happens in alot of cases is that the higher numbers want to use UOP files instead of the MUL. I ran into this with animations especially. The other bummer is that your client will not really use the TILEDATA file for when you single click on items you custom add. It will look in a UOP file for the name to pop up. Another bummer.

Anyway...

I am not sure how much custom items you added to your ART.MUL file, but I slowly used up all of the UNUSED labeled items first...before every searching for free slots. I didn't touch ITEMID #1...I just left it alone...but look for other UNUSED tiles and use one in the lower number range. Maybe the first one you find after #1.

Ah ok so it's better use the unused slots that the freeslots right?, I have a lots of custom items on the art.mul furnitures weareables ecc ecc

Well, "better" is subjective. I chose to use them because 1) They are unused and 2) I thought they were just wasting slot numbers. I used almost all of the ones in my client file and never had anything bad come from it. Meaning, nothing in game was hurt by it. No graphic glitches or anything like that.

Ah ok so it's better use the unused slots that the freeslots right?, I have a lots of custom items on the art.mul furnitures weareables ecc ecc

Back