I am sure this is going to be the first, second and third of many questions... But let me preface the question with a description of what my overall goal is. My interest is in creating a server that I pretty much just play in by myself (or perhaps one or two other people) - in essence, Ultima 7 on steroids. I would like to have my character start with higher stats and skills, as well as some additional gold and backpack items.

I have been reading through tutorials and threads in the forum and think I have figured out how to add items to starting backpack as well as increasing skill and stat caps. What I haven't been able to figure out is how to increase the starting skills and stats and am hoping some charitable individual might be willing to walk me through the process. :)

One other question (or two...). I downloaded and patched to most recent version of uoclient, and have downloaded and installed uosteam - how do I point uosteam at my private server? Sorry for the noob questions!

ptkali

*edit* And while I am asking questions, when I start up server, it asks to create owner account. I click yes and add username and password. Then when I get uosteam started I use that username and password to create character, decorate and spawn world (based on tutorial video). Can that character interact with the world the same as a normal character - meaning do I need to create a new username/password/character to simply play in the world?

Last edited:
I haven't looked into the code for a while so i can't answer your main questions of the skills and stats.

So to kinda your second question: To point to your private server it depends on where it is. If you are installing it on your computer that you are playing the game on, it will be pointed to the IP of 127.0.0.1 with the standard port of 2593. Also you need to make sure you make it so that it is unencrypted.

Third question: You will create that owner account. You can switch between being "player" on that char all you want. I always separate my owner account and player account. It is just easier so you don't accidentally do something while playing.

I will look into the skill ball thing. So, a follow up question - so I got a character created on owner account - no problem. How do I add a player account to the server? I think it may be abundantly apparent at this point, but really, this is the first time I have ever done anything server related... ever. really.

ptkali

you just to log in for the first time with that username and password. If the account is not there it will automatically make it for you.

it actually returned an error when I tried that. I will attempt again. :)

*edit* Ah - I can add accounts when logged in as owner. Perfect, now just to figure out how to fiddle with starting stats and skills. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:
for new char type [admin a gump will appear as shown, click on Account List
then on the right fill in a name and password under it then click on add, account created :)
Howto.JPG

I'm trying to remember if the base load of ServUO only allows 1 account per IP. If so when you are on your owner account, type [admin and from there you will be able to add an account.

Server up and running - haven't found anything about starting stats or skills, but the extra gold lets you at least bump some skills. So one concern, when traveling east from Britain, there are no npcs in the small town by the zombie infested place - and no apparent way into that. Is there a glitch in spawning npcs, or is it supposed to be like that? Admittedly, I haven't traveled that far out of Britain...

One method to change Skills and Stats is to modify CharacterCreation.cs and hard-code in the Skills and Stats there. You can see where the 6 or so professions are given various skills, so you can copy that or modify it to suit your shard.

Another method would be the Skill balls as has been mentioned. You just drop them in the pack, and players can determine what skills they want to raise. There are a couple varieties of Skill ball. One type lets you raise a specific skill to a specific value, like Taming = 100. It doesn't matter what the value is beforehand, so it encourages them to use it right away. Another type raises a skill by a fixed amount, like "any skill +50". This would allow someone to buy something to 33 or so, then use the ball to raise it to 83, or they can choose when to use it.

A third method would be a controlled start area with a series of profession gates. Each gate would set skills and stats for the player to specific values that would correspond to one of several professions (or "classes") that you have defined for your shard. The start area will give them enough information about the shard to let them make an informed decision about which direction to take their character, but will not give them an opportunity to raise skills or train anything. Once they select their gate and go through, they are taken to the start city.

A fourth method is to have a similarly controlled start area, or a "newbie" area with vendors that allow purchasing skills, training areas to learn about the shard and/or train skills, and places to get starting gear.

Server up and running - haven't found anything about starting stats or skills, but the extra gold lets you at least bump some skills. So one concern, when traveling east from Britain, there are no npcs in the small town by the zombie infested place - and no apparent way into that. Is there a glitch in spawning npcs, or is it supposed to be like that? Admittedly, I haven't traveled that far out of Britain...

You need to spawn your world. There is documentation on here to help you do that. I can't remember the exact code you need to use, but if you search you will find it.

@Milva and @ruaduck , I realize I was unclear in my previous post. I spawned the world with [xmlload already, but was concerned that Old Haven was empty of people. I wasn't sure if this was an error in the spawner, or there are really no people in the Old Haven shops/houses. New Haven (which I mistook for Britain) has npcs walking around. I will check out that link Milva to see if I can mess with spawns a little.

@Milva I followed your instructions on another thread to set stat and skills caps - does that change max cap for each individual skill/stat, or the total for all stats and skills? In other words, if I set max skills to 5000, does that mean that the cap is 500 in up to 10 skills? And does the stat cap work the same way?

@Lokai, the first option you list there is what I envision doing - I know this may be asking a lot, but would you walk through the specific process of adjusting the stats and skills for one of the professions and then I would just duplicate that for all of them?

I really appreciate all of the help! Was super fun to play ultima online again!

ptkali

Just wanted to thank everyone again for all of the help getting the shard up and running. There are definitely things I am going to change in the future, but I think it is adequate for now. As to the skills and stats thing, I realized that using the owner account I could adjust stats and skills on a per character basis. Since I am likely the only person who will be playing on the server, this is not onerous, and is actually much simpler for me to do.

The next thing I am planning on doing is adding Lokai's corpse retrieval stone... One thing at a time though. :)

ptkali

Your welcome :) keep in mind for total skills if you wish to use power scroll to 120, just figure how many skills you will allow and up to 120 :) Have fun with your server :)

Back