xG00BERx

Maybe its just me but I love contributing to open projects such as RUNUO, ServUO, etc but one thing that has always bothered me is when some person does not know how to code and they just post every issue they have and let someone else fix it etc then they go and take donations for work they did not do?

Maybe I am the only one who is bothered by this? Nothing we can really do since it is open to anyone just always a issue I see.

What are your thoughts. Thanks :)

I don't have an issue with shards taking donations per se, but I do have an issue with people starting shards when they really don't know how to code. Instead of taking the time to work underneath someone who can teach them up, they start their own shard and rely on the forums to fix problems for them.

I completely understand people wanting their own shard, to have things their way. But the problem is we are stuck with a whole lotta chiefs and very few indians. The result is a lot of really good developers can't find people to be GM's on their shards because we have made things so simple that people who really should be learning as a GM are instead working on their own shard without the skills to even fix it. They plug in a few scripts that were released and count on the forums to support them.

Pretty much what Ravenwolfe said. I don't really mind the donations much. If they have a fun shard and people are willing to donate then more power to them. I understand plenty of people don't know how to program and I'm one of the guys on the forums fixing this for them.

I do believe people should have a willingness to try to learn though and that's where my problem comes in. I will only do so much to help them before I get fed up with trying to fix problems for them if they aren't at least trying to learn. I can hold hands and walk them through it all but if I don't see any willingness then I'll look the other way.

I agree with what you both say. Its not that I hate people for doing it I just hate when someone uploads a bug everytime they get one and wants YOU to figure it out so that it is a DRAG AND DROP fix because they don't even know the difference between != and == is for example...

My opinion is that if you are not willing to try and fix it yourself before uploading and not willing to learn... Don't even download the copy of RUNUO, ServUO, etc...

P.S Love the comments keep em coming :)

Don't get me wrong, I love helping and I really love troubleshooting. I just wish more people would work together on projects instead of starting a bunch of small shards. Everyone wants to be an owner I guess.

Also, this is not directed at ANYONE here, just a general observation. You can see this is true by all the help wanted posts that go unanswered.

There is a ton I still don't know about RunUO/ServUO or even C# for that matter. I just got into RunUO a little more than a year ago (and really haven't been around the last year due to RL) and started C# for the first time. I have been dabbling with VB for years now but never touched C# until I found about RunUO. Was easier for me because my VB experience went a long way with understanding .Net already so I picked up C# pretty quick. I've learned more than I could of ever asked by diving into RunUO code and still learning every day. (sorry who cares about my history :D)

Now I don't expect this from others. I know programming isn't for everyone but I do believe having a basic understanding is required to run your own shard. I can deal with beginners and I love problem solving and will go out of my way most of the time to fix a lot of problems as it helps me learn too. I try to run through most problems with them and tell them how to fix it so they might learn something along the way but as I said above, if they aren't willing then that's where I draw the line.

So I totally agree with hating people that post problem after problem and expecting someone on the forums to fix it for them if they aren't even trying to learn.

Well I can agree with how everyone feels, but let's not forget all those who come into this whole thing but are willing to learn :) Everyone has started some where, unless they actually took C class. Now me for example :) I can't code, but I never ran the whole scripts part of a server either, because knowing your limits goes a long way. But at the same time if I'm trying to create a script, I will work on that script for up to a week if needed. Once I decided to create an ItemID deed where you can change any item (given same layer) into a different look. Took me 3 days but in the end I did create it!

But I think the point is you tried first and learned from that.

I've never had a c# course. Nor do I have any programming experience. I am totally self taught just from the RunUO forums and looking on the internet. You can look at some old posts by me on the RunUO forums (I'm tindo there) and see what a noob I was in 2005, lol.

... but let's not forget all those who come into this whole thing but are willing to learn
That's why I'm here. I love helping and solving problems. I have nothing against beginners and I'm not forgetting or leaving anyone out :).

Just have to say, I don't know anything about your coding skills but you have one hell of decorating skills Milva. I would trade my coding for your creativity any day :D

I love helping shards and help a few.. what irks me the most is how they suddenly don't want to talk anymore if you're not doing something for them. That's when I drop them.

Running a RunUO shard is a great way to learn C# programming, so remember that every time you help someone with a coding issue, you are not only helping them, but you are potentially helping a lot of others who are reading and learning from the examples and fixes posted. And as people learn, there are more people who can code, resulting in more support to the community, new scripts, etc.

Kalamus & Ravenwolfe I have watched you both help out " so many times" with scripts others might have problems with and I hold much respect for you and for those who I have not mentioned. :) Agree those who are willing to learn/want to learn will always try to fix the script then if there is still a problem only then will they ask for help. Remembering my first scripting days was mightly tough, but with others who are willing to help out, well you just can't beat that :)
Kalamus & Doc thank you for the kind words of my decorating skills - I guess some of us just love the scripting part while others just go in another direction. :)
You guys are a great plus to ServUO :) no one has ever said, go search!

Running a RunUO shard is a great way to learn C# programming, so remember that every time you help someone with a coding issue, you are not only helping them, but you are potentially helping a lot of others who are reading and learning from the examples and fixes posted. And as people learn, there are more people who can code, resulting in more support to the community, new scripts, etc.

Absolutely true, and I will continue to help and help until my fingers fall off. I just feel the same frustrations that Goober and Kalamus mentioned, sometimes its just nice to vent a bit ;)

Back