My wife Talshani and I have been creating a custom map since late 2000. We are finally coming to a point where we feel its complete enough to get things ready for public game play! However, this will not be any time soon just yet.. I have set a goal to launch the shard by mid next year. That might sound like a long time, but we know what happens when opening a shard before its time..

So I wanted to just post some screen shots of some various areas. These were taken just the other day. Nearly everything has been built by hand by Talshani, and the last couple months Milva has been helping fill in some areas :)

This will take a few posts ;)

AncientLegends-Full.jpg

AnderidaBank.jpg AnderidaBees.jpg AnderidaCastle.jpg AnderidaCourtJail.jpg

AnderidaDam.jpg AnderidaDocks.jpg AnderidaUndertaker.jpg BatleShips.jpgCamelaArena.jpg

Well I guess that should give a good idea what the map is like :)

I spent somewhere around 2-3 solid years hand painting the map, could be upwards to 4 years really. Talshani build something like 90% of everything you see. I did build quite a bit though.

We are finally coming to a point, with Milva's help, where we feel the map is coming to completion. We had ran this map live back in 2002-2005, and even though every player loved the shard and map, unfortunately it was just too soon. Players got tired of updating the map files every week and RunUO was so early in its development, I got overloaded with doing web development, scripting and staffing. We burnt out, and ended up having to move cross country. We never have reopened since.

I am posting all of this because we have been wanting to show off our map. We want more than anything to get this shard open to the public and see folks run around, placing houses and enjoy the new lands. It has been just Talshani and I for so long developing this stuff, that when Milva joined us it really sparked a new bit of enthusiasm in us to get back at it! So a big thank you go's out to Milva for unknowingly helping us get our interest back in finishing this map!

This shard is still kept somewhat traditional Ultima game mechanics. Although that sounds bland, I can assure you that its no easy task just in making a custom map work! Still a lot to do, but we feel that within the next few months we will finally be ready to open the shard again :)

So with that, I leave the thread open for feedback!

-Dian

Thanks guys :)
It will be wonderful to have people actually running around enjoying the place again

It's gorgeous. You can really see all the time and attention to detail that went into.

Looking forward to seeing all the hard work come to fruition!

Thanks guys!
Like Dian said we can't wait till people are playing on our shard. I do alot of just playing and it gets awful lonely. I am really excited to get the HS in
the game also. Thanks to those who have helped find the scripts for it.
And thanks again Milva :)

Wow! This is a wonderful and amazing looking shard and place to play. Good Job on all your hard work, it takes quite a talent to come up with something like this! Be Proud!

Building a custom maps shard is indeed a very overwhelming project and to see people like you still trying to make things work after you've had hiccups in your project should be inspiring to others trying to do the same thing, as it inspires me. The pictures you provide are pretty amazing. I believe once you do open back up that it will be a great addition to the community of shards that players can choose from. Like Argonious says, you should be proud of it. Especially sense you've had your hiccups and you are trying to get beyond them. No one works on a project map that long that doesn't love what they are doing, and that says a lot about your project and the people working on it. Keep it up, your doing great.

Back