I had this idea... Since my server is like...
Flash Flashing GIF
it could always use a reset or should I say a wipe of the saves folder.

The idea is to make a script that keeps track of all houses and items in the server separately from the saves folder. All data is stored outside of the saves folder. This would basically allow me to regenerate the world fresh exactly as it was AFTER I delete my saves folder. It would be cool to also store npc locations too. Stealables... just about anything you can think of that the built in world gen does only it everything the players do plus my npcs and stealables and deco.

NPC spawns, decorations, and stealables are all generated by scripts. This is separate from players, possessions, and houses. So if you regenerate the world, the spawners should be redone automatically. This is also means the decorations and stealables. Djeryv's Ruins & Riches game solved this dilemma over a decade ago. His method to refresh the world made his UO version super easy to upgrade to whenever he made changes to the game.

What he basically did was created a command [buildworld. If you look in the Ruins & Riches scripts, you can see that the command will wipe out the spawners from the game, and then replace them with the current set of spawners. It also removed the stealable items and replaced those. There is even a section that refreshes the gardens. The decoration approach he took was just simply brilliant as it required very little effort.

He uses the standards decoration files to fill the world. The one thing he took advantage of was the "weight" property. He changed the decoration script to place decorations and set their weight to -2. Since no other item in the game has a negative weight, this is how he tracks what are decorations. His re-decoration script searches for everything with -2 weight and deletes it. It then reads the current decoration files and re-decorates the world.

The one core change he made was to the items, where he set it where any items with a zero (or less) weight did not display any weight property. So instead of hovering over a decoration and seeing "Vase -2 Stones" it just says "Vase". Every time Djeryv did an update, and you ran a [buildworld command, player items/houses were never touched.

Last edited:
I had a similar idea, but I figured it would be easier if I isolated everything I want to save in Malas. Here are some scripts I made to only allow house placement in Malas if the player has a special victory token (you can make your own quest). I also included the Siege Hammer item, which lets players demolish houses so long as their are not in Malas. If you want to have some fun before the wipe give these hammers out :p

Attachments

• malas victory token.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 3
I had a similar idea, but I figured it would be easier if I isolated everything I want to save in Malas. Here are some scripts I made to only allow house placement in Malas if the player has a special victory token (you can make your own quest). I also included the Siege Hammer item, which lets players demolish houses so long as their are not in Malas. If you want to have some fun before the wipe give these hammers out :p
I am not sure how this helps with his dilemma. This "isolation" for housing really limits what players expect in the game by placing houses next to favorite Britannia locations.

I am not sure how this helps with his dilemma. This "isolation" for housing really limits what players expect in the game by placing houses next to favorite Britannia locations.
You misunderstand. Houses can be placed anywhere, but it requires a special quest to place a house in Malas. Because Malas is the only place your house is safe from the apocalypse. You can still place a house anywhere, its just not permanent unless its in Malas

thanks for replying guys but i think i would need to hire a pro coder again for this :/ ill just keep pondering and thinking of solutions. But just incase you guys were wondering I was essentially envisioning a backup before the backup. cause my current back up gets corrupt sometimes and i could use a solution to this. Not really sure if i actually need it but it would be totally awesome to have a fail safe that just couldnt go wrong.

Back