I can change the resolution just fine. Unfortunately I am using a 4k display and UO.... is just extra extra small no matter what.

Thing is, if I use the normal client and I start it without razor/uosteam it will scale 4x and work PERFECTLY with my 4k setup. Just not if I use it with either of those utilities. Anyone know how to force it to scale up with uosteam or razor?

as32.postimg.org_65786jbpx_diff.jpg

This is a cool concept but I think that without hacking the client.exe (and this is trial and error so back it up!) you're not going to get the size you need. Consequently if you do manage to figure it out, could you please post a tutorial on how to do it. Thanks.

But according to the post above it works fine in normal UO...just not when he uses one of the free shard assistance? (Razor or Steam) so no hack of the real client would be needed? Just an update to the assistance? Though again something probably out of our hands.

Edit: So I kind of answered my own question. This is related to DPI.

My windows 7 test:
Go to Control Panel > Display
Change Smaller - 100% (default) to Lager - 150%
Click apply, you'll have to log off then log on for it to take effect.

Launch the client.exe the window is larger! wow!
Launch the client with razor or uosteam the window is at its normal size!

Why razor and uosteam do this? Frankly I'm not yet sure.
Is this a solution for people looking to scale up their uo game? No, not really. Increasing your display dpi makes everything larger, not just the game. (this conclusion is based off my windows 7 experience )

----

@BoomZooka Are you using Windows 10?
If so can you test something.. when you launch the client without razor or uosteam. Right click the client.exe you use to launch the game and check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"
Does it still scale the uo window with that checked? (I understand this is the opposite of what you want, that's why it's called a test.)

also based on the screenshot it's only scaled 2x.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the disabling of the high dpi stuff did not do anything. I feel like its just an update needed for the program that will never happen =(. Even less likely for me since I use UOsteam more. I wouldn't mind throwing up a 25$ bounty if someone could get the razor side to work. Isn't that one open source?

Unfortunately the disabling of the high dpi stuff did not do anything.
Did you try this when launching with client.exe or razor/uosteam? Also are you or are you not using windows 10?
Precision in details can be helpful in addressing a solution to this problem.

It seems like razor/uosteam are getting the dpi change but the client is not.

Last edited:
Yep windows 10.

And that's the actual issue that I have been trying to get across.

Client = Scaled perfectly for 4k
Razor/UOSteam = Not scaled at all for 4k

I would like to be able to use either Razor or UOSteam with proper 4k scaling.

the images posted are of both clients running at the same time to show the difference.

It's probably because Razor/Steam launches the Client.exe as a secondary process, rather than the Client.exe being run as the primary process.
In which case, visual styles from the O/S are not applied to the secondary process.

I have no idea why... probably something to do with the interaction difference between manually double-clicking Client.exe, or having another process do it for you.

Going to look at the Razor source for clues now...

Razor seems to work just fine for me. But with UO Steam, the Steam interface is impossible to use due to all the buttons being condensed. I did try pasting in a new Game Window size and applying it, but with no luck. I'll just use UO Razor again for now.

Razor seems to work just fine for me. But with UO Steam, the Steam interface is impossible to use due to all the buttons being condensed. I did try pasting in a new Game Window size and applying it, but with no luck. I'll just use UO Razor again for now.
I've been forcing the game window size with steam for a while now.
The only problem I've encountered is when a shard uses Ultima Live the game screen size can't be changed by steam

The game screen size has to be changed before logging in with Steam, unless you mean that Ultima Live negates the option after login?
(That sucks)

I've been forcing my screen to 1440 x 990 for years now, but that doesn't affect the DPI - everything like text and graphics don't scale up, so what you end up with is a huge draw distance and a headache from squinting at everything.

I haven't been able to hold a conversation in-game for quite a while, lol.

You can edit the screen width/height option for Steam in your profile's XML file. That's either in the same directory as UOS.exe/Profiles, or in AppData/UOS/

Also, nothing in the Razor source sticks out to me.

Hmm if you cant find anything in the Razor code, could it possibly be that when razor / steam start the game the user of the uoclient is set to like system?

The game screen size has to be changed before logging in with Steam, unless you mean that Ultima Live negates the option after login?
(That sucks)

I've been forcing my screen to 1440 x 990 for years now, but that doesn't affect the DPI - everything like text and graphics don't scale up, so what you end up with is a huge draw distance and a headache from squinting at everything.

I haven't been able to hold a conversation in-game for quite a while, lol.

You can edit the screen width/height option for Steam in your profile's XML file. That's either in the same directory as UOS.exe/Profiles, or in AppData/UOS/

Also, nothing in the Razor source sticks out to me.
I would need to double check on another shard that uses Ultima Live but yes it seems that it negates the option and you can only set the client window via the normal options in game.

too bad you can't just change the size of the client window by changing the settings using a text editor like you use to be able to change the range of circle trans.

Oddly enough, Razor works fine for me with DPI scaling (150%) but UOSteam refuses to scale, resulting in squished text and a far smaller client. I'm aware that this is an older thread but was interested in possible solutions others may have already found.

Back