I have always wanted a shark for UO and I have found one. It's almost UO style in 1:1 isometric ratio. I'm looking to have someone tweak these a lot. I have frames for everything and using the sea serpent as a model... the transition from png to .vd shouldn't be too horribly hard for someone with experience. I do have photoshop so this is something I can help with in regards to the needed file formats. So what creatures do I have: Crocodiles, Hyenas, Sharks, and a Water Dragon.

What I need is someone who is familiar with importing frames and getting them to work in addition to the other creatures in UO on clients 7.0.23.1 and lower.

Where did I get them? I bought them off the Unity store. So if all is good, let me know and contact me and lets talk. This could benefit a lot of people.

Any ideas on where I could find a good .vd tutorial?

It´s a very long work. It´s hard anyone do it for you or help you with.
I cant tell you what I´m doing to create animations, i adapt it for your shark.

-Use Uofiddler to Extract every frame animation of a similar monster as sea serpent or dolphin.
-Then paste over the seaserpent the new shark image on each picture.
-Replace it one by one using fiddler.**
-Fix and fit using fiddler animedit.

**Im looking for somethig to make this automatic and not one by one. If we find it, there it an even better method.

Why can't you share what you're doing to create animation? It sounds counter productive for the community. If you know how to do it then create a tutorial so everyone can learn.

It's not really complicated, but quite a lot of work ;)
Basically it is like Romanez said.

This is the way i do it:

Export an animation of something similar to the one you want to add.
I use the mulpatcher to do this. You can choose to save the animation to a folder ("Save to Directory").
In the folder you will see a lot of bitmaps and some textfiles.

An ultima online animation consists of an image for every single frame of the animation plus an offset for both the x and the y value.
This offset determines where exactly the picture appears on the screen and are stored in the liste.txt.
The palette files... i think they change some colours, but you can just delete them. They are not needed for your new animation.

There are different types of animation with different numbers of frames. I would use a low-detailed (300 frames) animation for the shark.
You can see the type in mulpatcher. L : low, H : high, P : people and wearables.
The bitmaps names begin with the number of an animation cycle and end with the number of the frame in the cycle.
For example:
0_0.bmp
0_1.bmp
0_4.bmp
This is the cycle for "walking down" for a low detailed creature.
1_0.bmp
1_1.bmp
1_4.bmp
is the cycle for "walking down-left" etc.

Decide which frame of your new animation fits which frame of the original animation.
Then name your new frames accordingly.

The other thing is the positioning. If the sizes of an animation frame does not fit the size of the one it replaces, the positioning will be wrong.
One therefore has to reposition it. One way is to do it like Romanez said: place your pictures in the old animation's pictures. You can just use the old Offsets then.
Have you ever seen the awesome shields from Narja? (If not, look them up on uo-pixel.de!) They are also done this way. The original animation needs to be bigger than the new one of course.
But this is a lot of work. (I am not sure what can be done with the animedit programm Romanez mentioned.)

I am currently working on a program to simplify this. It allows you to go through all the frames and position them with your keyboard.
The basic functions are there, but it is still just a pile of code ;)

Once you named and positioned all the frames, you can import them into you .mul files with the mulpatcher by simply using "Load from Directory". (Be sure to select an L-slot)
Finish!
With the "Save to File" option you can then export your animation into a handy .vd file.

There are some more details to make things more elegant, but this works just fine :)

Back