ServUO Version
Publish 57
Ultima Expansion
Endless Journey
Like the subject says... there are thousands of books out there and while I don't mind spending months to learn the fundamentals of a practice, I hate to waste time going down a rabbit hole with things I won't need.

Thanks in advance!

As someone who has never followed a tutorial or read a book for programming in general, I can relate.
It seems like you're more of the "to-the-point" and "by example" learner.
You'd likely be better off spinning up a bare copy of ServUO, then deciding what you want to change and asking the community (or searching these forums) for help if you get stuck.

As someone who has never followed a tutorial or read a book for programming in general, I can relate.
It seems like you're more of the "to-the-point" and "by example" learner.
You'd likely be better off spinning up a bare copy of ServUO, then deciding what you want to change and asking the community (or searching these forums) for help if you get stuck.
Oh absolutely. I have come a long way in learning what I can learn from modifying scripts.

I am self-taught in just about everything from electrical to carpentry to well... my friends say I 'collect' skills...

I've been messing with UO emulators for a long time off and on... done modding on Minecraft, FO4, 7Days2Die, etc... even wrote a few games over the years... There are just thing son here that I'm not 'getting' and I think it goes back to fundamentals. For me anyway....

Simple things that I'm sure should be easy... like changing a cliloc entry to "" text (that one I JUST figured out actually), Adding a random amount of gold or items... this script I'm working with now has to deal with typeof() but what I'm adding is telling me I'm changing a readonly type to a system type and it says I cant do that. Well, obviously I can do that, I just can't find reference as to how.

When I was coding Gamemaker it had a book of reference code... so when I got stuck, I had something to look at... I know I have TONS of scripts to reference, but puzzliung out which ones are doing what I'm trying to do, then modifying them is time consuming.

I'll get it eventually with practice, just frustrating when I have XYZ I want to do, and I get stuck on Y... sometimes for days. lol

I would also rather avoid being a nag by constantly asking how to do things. LOL As it is I feel I've flooded these forums with questions over the past few weeks. LOL

Last edited:
So you're pretty well skilled, the hinderance is in learning the ServUO API itself.

It could be that your code is correct, but you're using syntax from a newer .net that isn't supported by your build target.
If that isn't the case, it's hard to know if you don't include a sample of the code that's causing you problems.
It sounds like you may be trying to assign a new value to a readonly field, or trying to cast a reference to another type with the wrong syntax.

Don't ever hesitate to ask any questions, even if you feel like you should know the answers.

So you're pretty well skilled, the hinderance is in learning the ServUO API itself.

It could be that your code is correct, but you're using syntax from a newer .net that isn't supported by your build target.
If that isn't the case, it's hard to know if you don't include a sample of the code that's causing you problems.
It sounds like you may be trying to assign a new value to a readonly field, or trying to cast a reference to another type with the wrong syntax.

Don't ever hesitate to ask any questions, even if you feel like you should know the answers.
Quite possibly... I am using the latest builds of everything.

I have been asking when I get really stuck. :)

Then there's modding a script then finding out the unmodded script doesn't work either lol Just ran into that. It compiles but doesn't do what it looks like it should lol

One of the biggest learning tools for me was intellisense built into the VS ide, having the ability to look at all the virtual overrides of a base script when you are mid way threw a line of code is a life saver! No hunting through scripts! Plus the ability to Ctrl + Click a field or method and follow it down or back up the code is also a powerful tool, both built into the ide and both make coding much easier to learn!

As for a great tutorial series :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

One of the biggest learning tools for me was intellisense built into the VS ide, having the ability to look at all the virtual overrides of a base script when you are mid way threw a line of code is a life saver! No hunting through scripts! Plus the ability to Ctrl + Click a field or method and follow it down or back up the code is also a powerful tool, both built into the ide and both make coding much easier to learn!

As for a great tutorial series :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thankee Sai! I just started using VB a few nights ago. It has helped.

I'll start watching the vids asap.

Many Thanks!

STOP using VB! For one, it is no longer supported, second it has methods that you will not find in c#, focus on one language, don't cross the streams!

STOP using VB! For one, it is no longer supported, second it has methods that you will not find in c#, focus on one language, don't cross the streams!

HAHA! sorry I meant VS... I have Visual Studio 2019

I dunno why I typed VB... sleep depravation is getting to me I think ROFL

Though... I was pretty slick on Basic back when C64 was a thing.

Back