I'm debating the concept of doing a short mini tutorial series specifically for ServUO that would cover things like:

Starting a brand new ServUO server from Github to Running!
Submitting Bug Fixes from your server to the community using Github tools!
Creating a ServUO repository with your custom modifications to allow for easy updating!
Keeping your server Up-To-Date with core!

Is there anything along these lines that you would want to know, or would help you be better server owners?

Would this kind of thing be helpful to you.

The only trouble with creating a respository for custom features is classes in distro files.

I might upload a custom player mobile which is heavily custom and someone else might upload there player mobile too but doesn't use the player mobile I added this could potentially create masses of errors.

The only trouble with creating a respository for custom features is classes in distro files.

I might upload a custom player mobile which is heavily custom and someone else might upload there player mobile too but doesn't use the player mobile I added this could potentially create masses of errors.

I see no issue with this. I use Beyond Compare, or you can also use WinMerge and it should show you what's different. ;)

This has needed to be done for years. There needs to be an entry level friendly 'master' starter tutorial.
I'm not a big fan of 'pop up' shard or shards run by inexperienced staff but we were all crawling before we walked so I suppose if people have the time and desire to run a shard with no knowledge of how it works or the scripts inside it why the hell not.
I support your idea Toriad this would help bridge the gap for the newcomers to the scene. DO IT!
Edit: Get the frigin wiki online.

1. Starting a brand new ServUO server from Github to Running!

2. Submitting Bug Fixes from your server to the community using Github tools!
    Creating a ServUO repository with your custom modifications to allow for easy updating!

3. Keeping your server Up-To-Date with core!
This would be so excellent!! So many are confused about the "how to of Github" and the how to update their server.

I'm debating the concept of doing a short mini tutorial series specifically for ServUO that would cover things like:

Starting a brand new ServUO server from Github to Running!
Submitting Bug Fixes from your server to the community using Github tools!
Keeping your server Up-To-Date with core!

Is there anything along these lines that you would want to know, or would help you be better server owners?

Would this kind of thing be helpful to you.

I think this would be excellent. I especially would like to understand about keeping a separate repo for the modifications.

I think he is referring to having a separate repo. One for bug fixes and one for your personal custom.

Actually, you can totally set it up so you have both in 1 repo, but it wont cause issues. Git is so powerful that way.

There's not much need for a second repository, this is why GIT/SVN have a feature called Branches, you're supposed to do experimental development work in a branch, then merge it in to the master when it's functional.

If ServUO had a custom branch where optional development work and features can be stored, then users could just merge in the bits and pieces and be satisfied that they will already be compatible with their shard.

Back