this game is not uo, but is similar play style, pretty kool, heres a vid of my son playing it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Holy hell. I could listen to your son stream all day; hilarious. I clearly have the same attention span as an 8-12 year old (assuming his age).

The game definitely looks fairly addictive like SIMS with zombies. Thanks for sharing!

Just want to add that I dont feel like that Project Zomboid is that close to UO but ..
http://shardsonline.com/ this game actually will be pretty similar I guess. Its in Alpha so no idea when it will be finally released even though you can already play it as early access kind off.

Waiting and waiting and waiting for the server side portion of shardsonline to be released to see how much it can be made to feel like UO's ruleset.

I picked up project zomboid a year or two ago, while still in early release the game is pretty solid. Since I picked up my copy there has been a significant set of improvements. The game is pretty fun, very sandbox like with various crafting as well the ability to build and destroy structures. In a recent update they added the ability to move the ingame static art (stuff like furniture and other "should-be" movable stuff).

If you love classic zombies and sandbox survival this is a solid game.

As for Shards Online, I am in the early admin program. This game is very much modeled after UO + Private Servers, basically a build your own mmo dev kit. The stock game features a ruleset / gameplay that has a strong similarity with Ultima Online.

Since I am on NDA I cannot go into any specific detail beyond that server scripting is in Lua. Working on server scripts will be in some cases a lot more straight forward and to the point while in other a lot more tedious than C#. Overall Shards Online dev is as flexible as you are skilled so its pretty nice in that regards. Currently for the pre-alpha I would say the challenge level is set a little high but post alpha will see the introduction of various tools to enable a degree of modding / customization with less technical skill.

Shards Online has a lot of promise so its something to keep your eyes on.

Hey i know NDA's suck and you might not be able to answer this, but is the scripting strictly limited to Lua? or is it just a temporary artificial limitation while alpha testing? Secondly is the core of the server C#? im assuming it is since The client has Stuff like MessageCore.dll which is C#.

If Admin level doesnt come out soon ill have to work on reverse engineering it, I've had a brief look at it and it will be more of a hassle than Sota was to create a server for since their using obsfucation on their C# unlike port. And the fact everything looks to be server side instead of client side scripts like sota. much more UO esque and proper MMO architecture.

As far as I can tell from the video is that the client is made with Unity, they didnt show much (if at all) about the server side so I cant give you info there. Would be interesting to know, and I would prefer C# over lua, even C itself over lua ;)

Yeah the Client is Unity, so all the Client side code is C#, but as i said they run it thru an obsfucator so its pretty horrid to read :(

Interested in the server side :eek:

I'll try to response within the limits of the NDA, please excuse the potential vagueness of some of the responses.

As you guys guessed already the Client is in unity.

As for the server core, its basically a black box that handle all the low level infrastructure, so the Lua scripting side basically focuses on defining all the aspects related to gameplay, content, behavior and so on. Lua was chosen as its used in various games that allow modding, nothing indicates that the scripting language will change. Personally Lua is a bit of a salty language, not the most pleasant but not all that bad either.

Keep in mind the end goal of Shards Online will be to provide tools to empower modding for everyone, well as much one can do with tools of course. So while scripting is an important aspect its only one aspect of the bigger modding picture.

Beyond this point any more specific details might be a breach of stuff. However in my own experimentation I was able to extend the lua environment to provide file i/o functionality, http requests. Basically there all sorts of ways to bend the server to your needs. One other early admin had posted his experiments on injecting a C# interpreter into the server so they could use C# instead. Don't know what happened to that person as they haven't posted in ages.

Darklotus you certainly sound like you know your way around code so I am certain you would find all sorts of ways to bend the server to your will. The same goes for anyone with a certain amount of developer experience. So while Shards Online scripting is built on a model of expected use there is absolutely nothing restricting you to that.

If I remember correctly once the alpha phase begins (currently pre-alpha) server admin access will be open to all.

back to waiting for alpha which is still a whiles off from what ive read :(

May have to get around to starting "RunShards" after all if its pretty locked into Lua and to tide me over while waiting.

Yeah there are quite a few details that needs to be ironed out and I have a strong feeling their dev team is pretty understaffed. I am guessing the alpha will coincide with the early access launch on steam, that is if they get accepted.

I don't know if it would be worth the effort to dev anything to work with the client, unless you enjoy the challenge then by all means go for it.

Since I am on NDA I cannot go into any specific detail beyond that server scripting is in Lua

Lua was chosen as its used in various games that allow modding, nothing indicates that the scripting language will change

Providing an SDK for the game and/or allowing dll plugins would probably have been better.
Most of the time when i want to mod a game i give up without starting simply because it's lua.

Back