I see a lot of shards where GM's are constantly telling players to make sure to "delete" the corpses that they create, and was wondering that since they are just unanimated items really, how much impact does a corpse have on say lag or save time? How many corpses would it take to make a noticeable difference and is it worth the effort and making GM's and players go through the extra hassle over something that will auto delete soon anyway?

It's not an issue I've ever worried about. With hundreds of thousands of mobiles and items, what's a few more corpses? I do use the claim system though, for looting convenience mostly.

I guess it depends on how long your decay time is and what your player base is. On a very busy shard with hundreds of players, you could have thousands of corpses hanging around for an hour for no reason. Each of those corpses could have 2 items on it or 2 dozen. It's been a while since I tried a giant shard so I don't know how those aspects affect save times.

With modern CPUs and solid state drives, I would assume that save times are no longer a real issue.

Back