If I am not able to host the server on my machine. Remote hosting is an option?

Could anyone recommend a remote host for a 20 year old game? :)
I Googled the idea and was blown away at the prices.

The requirements are fairly simple, just about any VPS will work... And, you're right. The pricing is crazy. With my webhost (who I love deeply and would recommend to anyone), a VPS with 2 gigs of ram is $70 a month! Crazy!

What I recommend is Amazon's Lightsail program.

You will need to set up your server under Linux (They have optional Ubuntu images), which is actually pretty simple, but seems to have everything you could want.

Looking at performance on my home ubuntu server, you can easily get away with the $5/mo package during development. That will handle both the server and a CED server running without issue. You can get about 10 players before things get dodgy. Two gigs seems to be the minimum for more players (again, we're trying to run CED with users connected, and ~50 players on the server, and not see hardware related lag), but for $20/mo, that seems pretty reasonable.

Edit: On cores, they help a hilarious amount, so if you have the funds, getting that second core is a wise investment.

I would go with a host at home solution with a NUC untill the player base have outgrown it. In this way it will easy save some cash untill it have been outgrown and you know you like to run a full featured server and spend the administration time on it. The only question is what internet line you have I guess a 100/100 is needed if you like to do your daily work also.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC5CP...UTF8&qid=1487912666&sr=1-4&keywords=intel+nuc

(you need a drive and memory also in a NUC it comes without it)

- Grim

Last edited:
https://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-cloud-ram.xml
I have the cloud ram 2

Not gonna get much better prices then that.
I have the windows version so pay a extra 20$ ish for that. So ends up about 50$ ish a month. Its wayyy overkill for me but this host is showing incredible ping speeds (almost always #1 or #2 on uogateway on ping) - not that that matters at all. Also with how fast we are growing I didn't want to have to worry about lag.

I can tell you this though If you just got the cloud ram 1 for the 10$ -30$ a month with 6 gigs of ram you will likely be set for quite awhile. Been thoroughly impressed with this company.

I got a dedicated host at nocix.net its an i7 7700k 4.2 ghz which is intel's latest kaby lake CPU and 32gb of ddr4 ram and 2 ssd drives on a gigabit connection for $80 a mo. Its not real server hardware but the thing is ridiculous fast.

I got a dedicated host at nocix.net its an i7 7700k 4.2 ghz which is intel's latest kaby lake CPU and 32gb of ddr4 ram and 2 ssd drives on a gigabit connection for $80 a mo. Its not real server hardware but the thing is ridiculous fast.

Nice, how is there tech support? I would pay a little extra for competent tech support.

Nice, how is there tech support? I would pay a little extra for competent tech support.

Not bad, they typically respond within a minute although I have occasionally ran into stuff like the setup originally was wrong and it took them a couple tries to get it running but so far not bad.

Would this work for running a small uo shard? My biggest concern is customer service. I am currently with OVH. Big mistake, they are completely incompetent.
Intel Core Series I3-3220
2 Core/4 Threads
3.3Ghz

16GB DDR3
2TB

• Transfer:
    33TB Monthly Transfer
    IP Addresses:
    5 usable IPv4 Address
    IPv6 Addresses:
    /64 IPv6 Address Block**

• nocix.net has this for $25.00 a month. I am new to running a shard and just learning the ropes, don't want to spend the big bucks just yet :)

Last edited:
My Demo/Playground NUC have a 1.1Ghz Celeron@ CPU 847 processor with 4GB memory and 32GB SSD running Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB and I'm on a 100/100 connection.

It can hold 10-15 people without lag. I haven't tested with more yet.

It is a T2A server and I have done/working on some heavy modification to the source. I'm working on remove all non related data to speed up load and save time and try to kill alla data that don't have any use on my server. Even if you select T2A in the server settings it will still continue process all resistens set to 0 as a example. Even worse constantly check how to handle damage in each weapon swing or what to do in each mana regenerate tick.

The only thing that I would try to avoid is a host with monthly transfer limits. I would not like to get my server closed to that issue that to someone try to ddos it down by example download the client to many times.

- Grim

Edit: I did use RunUO 2.3 r1083 as a base for my project however I guess that ServUO was using the same base or older then they started.

Last edited:
Back