Creating a new game in Ultima's image

Zavreyon

Gold Donator
Apr 5, 2015
Yes fair point and I took Quest for the Avatar specifically as an example why we should not wait for some developers making a game what they think is a true sequel to Ultima Online. I think UO became something different with its Shard community and scripting and the variety of different servers should be taken to account.
Garriott was not involved in that, he has not worked for EA for 2 decades now. Was speaking of Shroud of the Avatar, the crowd funded project he started, oversaw, and subsequently ran into the ground. Unfortunately, he's not Jed Clampett, and no oil sprung up from the impact crater.

Don't get me wrong, I deeply admire the man, he's a true visionary, but financial controls, proper management (someone to occasionally say "no"), and advance strategy/planning matter when making a game, you need more than just "vision". Regardless of how much money is thrown at a project.

gametec

Feb 5, 2014
Shard Name
Untitled
Guys this is an age-old discussion lol... the legality of using Ultima Online’s client, associated files, and the contents therein is so ambiguous that you really need to read the “fine print” these days.

For older clients that precede the Enhanced Client you can emulate them to your hearts content. You can even use their files and the content therein because they all were created before the DMCA was a thing. EA never really cared anyway.

There was always an undocumented and unspoken symbiotic relationship between RunUO and EA... they could steal our ideas free of charge and we could host our servers. They never really went after anyone largely in part because we gave them ideas which they then took, marketed and sold rather successfully; high seas was a great example of that; in its basic form look back at the pirate systems on RunUO and you will see High Seas in it’s infancy.

Broadsword Entertainment, however does care, but they really haven’t gone after anyone because none of you can make a server that will put a dent in their pocket book. If you succeed at that then watch as Broadsword takes initiative from Blizzard and Sony Entertainment. The Enhanced Client and the classic client updates that began with the first Enhanced Client build are all covered by the DMCA so just be careful.

None of that means you can’t use their product, what it means is that you can’t sell subscriptions to play on your servers and you can’t sell items using their graphics in your web stores. Otherwise it’s all fair game unless you put a dent in their wallet. Then you will probably be made an example of if you are from North America and Canada.

If you are from Europe, Russia and anywhere in between then fuck the DMCA because while the United States thinks it can tell other countries what to do, the truth is copyright infringement is one of those things that gets a pass in most cases because other countries just don’t care about it; in other words US laws are only applicable in the United States so emulating this game with the newest of everything is acceptable.

Let’s take a look at the client clones that have been released; if you guys haven’t noticed, they are all coded by people living outside the jurisdiction of the US. If they lived in the US or Canada then they would be prosecuted because their clients are made for the sole purpose of using copyright files to play a copyrighted game under the protection of the DMCA.

However like it has been mentioned before if you lay low, make your server and host it, and allow people top play under the radar then no one cares. A lot of you enter into this hobby like it’s a competition or you are going to get rich off it; you won’t and it’s not a competition. It’s a great way to learn C# though :)

• Haha
Reactions: Ghost

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Moved On...
Shard Name
Ultima Odyssey
Guys this is an age-old discussion lol.
The OP wants to make a new game, which is not an age old discussion because people don't broach the subject often. The types of discussion you think this is often is broached by those defending their freeshard's existence but the OP wants to make something new and is asking how difficult that may be.

gametec

Feb 5, 2014
Shard Name
Untitled
The OP wants to make a new game, which is not an age old discussion because people don't broach the subject often. The types of discussion you think this is often is broached by those defending their freeshard's existence but the OP wants to make something new and is asking how difficult that may be.
Anything using the files of UO and the graphics of UO; including but not limited to the client executables does not constitute a new game but rather a derivative of UO.

That is all I was getting at. My thoughts still remain the same, whether making a free server or making a new game using UO as a foundation is still reinventing the wheel. OP would be better off getting on unity and using the uMMORPG engine.

Dropgunner

Mar 23, 2019
Anything using the files of UO and the graphics of UO; including but not limited to the client executables does not constitute a new game but rather a derivative of UO.

That is all I was getting at. My thoughts still remain the same, whether making a free server or making a new game using UO as a foundation is still reinventing the wheel. OP would be better off getting on unity and using the uMMORPG engine.
I would give you the advice to take a look on Spacestation 13 and the effort of the community to remake it. In fact there were so many projects to achieve this goal it has become kind of a meme that there is a curse:

Its not bold to say that we have a similar "curse" and the current remake projects have a strong opposition from the server owners of the old SS13 running on BYOND. The reason is that they took alot of effort into coding their specific server properties and would need to redo it.
If anything comes out of this discussion and UO will see a similar project as Unitystation, Spacestation 14 or SS:3D I am pretty sure we will see similar opposition to it.

WizardTim

Mar 21, 2019
Your level of participation in this thread is truly top notch. It really answers the overall question of: "How difficult would this be to create a new game based on Ultima Online and the EMU's server files, specifically without Broadsword's IP?" Good work!
Don't worry about her. Most of her posts contribute nothing of substance. I think one should look at Aria. Isn't what they basically did where they remade the game from scratch?

• Haha
Reactions: sahisahi

Dropgunner

Mar 23, 2019
I just downloaded it this morning and played it for a few minutes. Community servers are locked behind a paywall and in my humble opinion they game looks worse than UO and the user interface isnt really an upgrade.

gametec

Feb 5, 2014
Shard Name
Untitled
Idk the more I read about SS13 the more I want to emulate it lol

Djeryv

Oct 2, 2014
Moved On...
Shard Name
Ultima Odyssey
Aria is its own game it appears...from just a Google search. It looks like someone is trying to create UO while using Aria. So here you have Aria which is a game that the group can sell but someone is setting up a server to play in Britannia. Again...I think that is how this relationship is working.

• Haha

Dropgunner

Mar 23, 2019
Its weirdly the opposite of the current situation with UO. You can play community servers for free by downloading the client and specific software but if you want to play the real deal you have to pay. With Legends of Aria you get official servers for free but you need a subscription for playing on servers from the community. Its weird.

WizardTim

Mar 21, 2019
Here is a Steam review about Aria. Sounds like UO-inspired to me:

"I would not recommend this game because currently PVE and casual gameplay in dungeons are unplayeable: well coordinated major murder guilds repeatedly visit popular dungeons to slaughter newcomers, and uncoordinated casual players. The current ruleset promotes rampant murders, looting and a toxic environment. If you want to live a virtual life in a world so dehumanized where people play out their worse motivations then this game would be for you."

• Haha